• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spray Painting Rifles

How does that clear hold up to abuse? Realistic use not using it as a hammer of course.
Chip and scratch resistant?

How does that clear hold up to abuse? Realistic use not using it as a hammer of course.
Chip and scratch resistant?

Really well actually. I have painted them in the past without it and it makes a huge difference. I have a Savage FV-SR 22LR that I use for small game and sling it and carry it through some brush and briars. That was probably 3 years ago and the finish is still really nice and held up very well.

Usually I'm not a big fan of 'Say it with Krylon', it was alright for the loaners from Uncle Sam way back when but you actually make it look good. Great job and thanks for showing us how the magic happens.

Basically the same as how I do mine.

20180730_190013.jpg
20181215_175102.jpg
20170819_092624.jpg
20161018_192220.jpg

Almost same way I paint mine. I degrease with gloves and prime though. Overall you got a kickass result, thumbs up...

20181003_191141.jpg
20181004_135150.jpg

Paint is pretty durable and resistant. I tried removing the previous paint job but wasn't as easy as I anticipated so...

I did this new pattern over my previous one lol.

Pretty cool looking. Have been day dreaming of doing this for years. Have my remington sps stock I can practice with. Really want to do my tikka like this.

Reactions: Deltagunner00
Pretty cool looking. Have been day dreaming of doing this for years. Have my remington sps stock I can practice with. Really want to do my tikka like this.
I am happy the way mine turned out so the tikka will get a paint job tomorrow night. I’ll post pics when I’m done.

Reactions: TACC
Doesn't look scary at all.....

How do you approach it if you want the coolness of using actual foliage to create patterns?

Doesn't look scary at all.....

How do you approach it if you want the coolness of using actual foliage to create patterns?

Just go through the same steps I showed but find some branches or grass and use them to lay against the stock while spraying over top of them. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cool video! I seriously thought you were wearing some kind of Hobbit shawl at the beginning because of the shadow on your hoodie.

Haha! Awesome! Glad you liked it. Good luck.
Here is another option for spray paint, there is a company Montana Cans that makes all kinds of webbing, crackling, different effects.
Pic is a little dark, lighting wasn’t very good in shop that night. This black web looks awesome on the Coyote color in dead weeds on edge of field
E34EB1D1-6D94-4F76-AB50-9E682384B3B1.jpeg

Once February rolls in, I will practice with the old sps stock. Then move onto the Tikka, and maybe the B&C on my 700.

Anybody dealt with a stock that has the webbing? Did you change the way you did it, or just sprayed over it.

Here was my 15 minute attempt. Only had two colors on hand, anodized bronze rustoleum and satin ivory. Still thinking about throwing some green in there, but so far I am happy with it.

I like it the way it is but might be a little bright if you are hunting with it, so the green would help that out. Nice work.

I did add some green to it. I do hunt around a lot of canola and wheat fields, and pasture land. Late in the season though we either have a few feet of snow or no snow. The stalks of the crops though are fairly bright coloured. Any trees around the coulees are mainly spruce.

I really wanted to try something other than black. Had some fun with it, got my nephew all excited over it.

Attachments

• 20190118_221827.jpg
    20190118_221827.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 382
I did add some green to it. I do hunt around a lot of canola and wheat fields, and pasture land. Late in the season though we either have a few feet of snow or no snow. The stalks of the crops though are fairly bright coloured. Any trees around the coulees are mainly spruce.

I really wanted to try something other than black. Had some fun with it, got my nephew all excited over it.
I really like how that turned out! I may have to try this on some of my cheaper stocks

Reactions: Krazy_jim
Thanks. I say go for it, for how cheap paint and a sponge is, it's worth making something look better

Originally was going to practice on an sps stock I have, but that's 2 hours away from me. So I decided just to get it over with.

Reactions: Hawk in WY
Thanks for the demonstration! It’s below zero here, so me and my 9 year old each did one yesterday for something to do. Turned out pretty good I think.

Attachments

• F23979AA-51F3-4C09-9B51-E6C6C20B5157.jpeg
    F23979AA-51F3-4C09-9B51-E6C6C20B5157.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 544
Here's my new Tikka CTR. I added the Varmint Beavertail forend and the more vertical grip to the stock before attacking it with spray cans and pieces of sponge. I added flush cups for sling swivels in the buttstock and will add one of BT's combo Flush Cup and Picatinny rails to the forend this week
IMG_9139.JPG
SZBS0758.JPG
IMG_9202.JPG
IMG_9204.JPG

I hit them quick and dirty, change with the season or ao.

My son with his pellet rifle..,krylon special.

And my rifle in white for winter hunting, this was for wolf in Canada.

I wrap the scope or other parts with sports tape/hockey stick tape. Makes it textured and isn’t as cold as bare metal or plastic.

Spray the crap out of it, and redo as needed.

Springtime wipe off as much as possible or just peel the tape off and change it up.

Attachments

• 2EC9C027-3C3C-4FEA-BA1C-A0A6AA103F22.jpeg
    2EC9C027-3C3C-4FEA-BA1C-A0A6AA103F22.jpeg
    793.6 KB · Views: 431
  • EA67B140-B758-4EF9-BE9A-A8C4EEFE0B45.jpeg
    EA67B140-B758-4EF9-BE9A-A8C4EEFE0B45.jpeg
    638.5 KB · Views: 465
Made a video showing how I paint my rifles. Figured I would share it here just to show others in hopes of helping someone out. I only painted the stock on my coyote rifle in this video.

Nice work, looks good!

Heres an in progress picture of my 783. I'll do a full post on how I modified the stock once its complete.

Attachments

• 20190805_190436.jpg
    20190805_190436.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 498