• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Spraybooth Questions

JimT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2004
Sterling, AK
In the seemingly neverending quest for pain free Cerakote application, I have a lighting question for the spraybooth. Which temperature of lighting are you using to enable you to verify complete coverage? I have been using 6500k bulbs but wonder if going to a 5K bulb might work better. I don't think it is possible to have enough light in the booth, but perhaps the temp would be a factor also.

Jim

Its not just the light temp, but other factors as well. What you want to look for is "Full Spectrum - Color Corrected" bulbs. That is what graphic artists, painters and others use. I belive the color temp on them is somewhere in the 4400k range. That is what I use in my booth and inspection area. I had to order from an online supplier, so just google it and you should come up with some options.

Last edited:
Save your money. I was a painter at a high end shop for 7 years. They sell small stickers that was a checker board pattern black and white. I would put them right next to a hood and when the pattern was covered I knew the car was. Each pass on the panel the stickers was coated. Easy and cheap.