• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spraypainting a backpack

Dsparil

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2006
Albrightsville, PA
i.e. spraypainting it in the same fashion you'd paint a gun.

yeah I know, strange question, will it hurt it? Will the chemicals of the paint cause the fabric to become brittle or come apart?

Re: Spraypainting a backpack

As long as the bag isn't made with styrofoam components you should be fine

Since being in STA, I have been addicted to painting almost every piece of gear that I own, including packs, LBE, etc. I have never had an issue with corrosion due to painting, but I usually dab a bit of paint on a q-tip and test it on an inconspicuous area of my gear to make sure.

Often the label on the spray can will tell you what you can/can't use it on. Check the tags on your gear to make sure it doesn't have any of the materials listed on the "don't paint" section and you're good to go.

Iv also painted some of my military gear, id advise doing a small patch first as some pack materials become shiny when painted even with matt paints.better to be safe than sorry.apart from that it does no harm that iv seen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i.e. spraypainting it in the same fashion you'd paint a gun.

yeah I know, strange question, will it hurt it? Will the chemicals of the paint cause the fabric to become brittle or come apart? </div></div>

If you have an eberlestock it should be ok. They have it on their website
http://eberlestock.com/UNICAM.htm
bottom of page

Light spray painting is fine on most packs and gear. Most gear is nylon based with a dwr treatment and it takes a heavy mist of spray paint to get it to permanently adhere to the material.

unicam operator is what im about to buy. Not going to spraypaint it off the bat. I was just curious. I found a nice deal on one and my OBR could use one.

I've sprayed lots of gear. It isn't staying on forever and can be taken off with a stiff brush.

I've sprayed tactical nylon from most of the major manufacturers and I've never seen any damage as a consequence. If you really don't like it it will come off with a scrub brush, hot soapy water, and some scrubbing.