• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spring 2013 Allegheny Snper Challenge May 17, 18, 19

Mountain Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2005
Petersburg, WV
Match anouncement went out over the weekend to the email list. Match prep will start shortly if the weather on the mountian will give us a break. Roster will go out and everyone that made the list will be notified. Looking forward to another great match. See everyone in a couple of monthes. Brock

Sup Matt! I sent my email back requesting a slot for me and my match partner who is a ASC virgin. See if I can get in its been way too long! I miss the mountain. If I don't get in see if I can attend to shoot video of the match?
Thanks Steve M.

Last edited:
Hey Brock and Matt-
How you guys doing? How was the winter up on the Mountain?
Best to you guys and Rod and John,
-James Bailey

Very good, thanks Pucker. No ASC this spring for me.

But love to see 7th Group and a bunch of guys from USMC Scout Sniper Instructor School going. Got to shot with them last Fall there. Goes without saying, those guys deserve to be there more than the rest of us.

Good luck to all this Spring on the Mountain!

Well we may be on hold for doing match prep. We had 4" of snow here in petersburg yesterday morning. There is still 3-4" of snow at Seneca. WHo knows what is on the mountain? Calling for more precipitation tomorrow. Even if the snow melts it will be one big slop hole. Work weekend may have to wait. We are planning reseting a lot of steel for this match and do some rearranging to change the looks of the place. Some of the steel has been in the same spot for way to long. Some however will never get moved or removed from the Mountian. We hope to add a bunch of new shots. Several of up us have been brainstorming new ideas for shots. Will not know for sure if they will work or are possible until we walk around and see what we can make work. Thinking about hauling up the pipes again also. Not sure how we will use them but might be an option for some of the new shots. We hope to come up with some new shooting positions and target locations. All we need is a break in the weather. So much for an early spring.. Will feel like winter again tomorrow morning. Calling for temps in the mid teens tonight. Will keep everyone posted on match prep. brock

Is anyone looking for someone to split a room? I have not made a reservation yet but will be calling soon. PM me.

Well no work this weekend. Been snowing all day up there. Four wheel drive just to get to the first gate. Not sure we can even drive into the barn and buildings at this point, much less getting up on top or back the hollow. Maybe the snow will be gone before the match. Do not laugh. I have seen the drifts still there in early may and have seen snow up there just about every month. Calling for teens here tonight with single digit wind chills. Would be great weather for a winter match. Find some one else to run it and do all the work. I am out. Once was enough. Maybe next week we can get in there. Brock

More snow. I drove over Allegheny Mt on my way to a meeting for work today. The whole place is covered in 12" + of snow. Some of the drifts are 10' tall or better. The highway was snow covered most of the way across the mt. Was hoping to get up there this weekend to look around and shoot but that is not going to happen. We hope to have a work weekend next weekend but the mt may have different plans. It may be mid april before we can get around enough to set steel if we do not get any more snow. It may come down to a last minute all out rush to get steel set. Then again we could only shoot what is there now and probably make it work, if the snow melts so that we can see the targets. Brock

Damn Ross! Whoever planned your trip or convinced you to go on it is a dick! Haha

I'm so, so sorry to hear that......Because I'm on the waiting list for this one. LOL!

Heading up to the mountain tomorrow. Will have a crew of 5-6 guys so we should be able to get quite a bit done. Going to get some shooting in also. You cannot go up there and not shoot. Looks like nice weather for most of next week. Maybe the rest of the now will melt?? Time to put on our thinking caps and see what we can come up with for new shots and new challenges. We have several ideas but will have to get up there and see how they work out. Count down has started.. Brock

Is that a count down for the first shot fired on Friday morning from the top of Narrow Back or the beef on Saturday night?

Well last weekend was somewhat of a bust. Drifts were still big. NO way to get up on top, the west side of the bowl was completly drifted. We did manage to get a few targets set and som stuff moved around. We were able to get back the hollow but only to where the roof simulator is. We had to push the mule through the snow drifts just to be able to get to the creek crossing. WE are headed back up there tomorrow. Hope fully we can get a truck back the hollow and the bike up to narrow back. Last weekend the drift looking east towards "Sunny Side" going into the bowl was still 15-20'. May still have snow on the ground in places for the match, but I dought it. Going to try to get a lot done tomorrow with the 5 man crew. Brock

Sometimes we forget how much time, effort, suffering and sweat goes into setting up the match before we even arrive (not to mention the occasional destructive testing of ATVs). Looking forward to it!

Got a lot done on Sat with only a 4 man crew. The hollow is almost done. One more trip to paint a couple targets and that part will be ready. We reset a lot of the front targets in the bowl and made several of them SMALLER. Looks like there will be several new shots and new twist on a couple of the old ones. One new target we set is a 6" flopper and will be shot from about 700 yards. For the hollow day of the match the day will start a little differently than normal. Your cold bore will be a little longer than they have in the past. Looking forward to a good time. Snow drifts dropped probably 8' in the past week. Brock

I'm looking forward to the shoot. My partner had to back out and I have a double room. If anyone needs lodging I have space in my room. I'm above Yokum's store.

Brock:
I had a question also about Thursday if we get there early will we be able to zero our rifles or bang steel? thanks.

Vendors day is thursday 1200-1600. No if you get there early you will not be able to check zeros or shoot. You may not be able to get in the gate if you are too early. I would not plan on being there before 1130. No idea on who all is planning on showing up or what sponsors are going to be there. I will not be able to roll in until O-Dark Thirty friday morning. I should be at seneca by 530 or so. Brock

My partner and I will be at vendor day representing US Optics with an SR-8 and LR-17. We have the scopes mounted on a JP LRP-07 (LR-17) and a JP PSC-11 (SR-8) for everyone to check out.

Wow what a great time!! We dodged the weather right up to the end. As always, the hardest thing about ASC is leaving friends on Sunday. Thanks to Rod and John and all the staff that make this possible,you are ASC.
Not Sure I love using the lasers, but it did help on time. And the guy that kept my score wasn't the brightest, I am going to have a talk with his Momma, personally I think Emmett would have done me better.

Congrats to all the folks that finished at the top, and to the rest.......we are all Winners.
Results:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...41825.100003240010612&type=1&relevant_count=2

I was shooting Eric Underriners's shorty 7WSM with 162 Amax.
David

Jered was shootin a 7-300 WSM if I am not mistaken and I'm pretty sure Chris was shooting a 300 Win Mag.

Edited, Eric you're right, one of the guys from 7th group was shooting a 300 and I picked up some of the brass for him.
Stuck in my head. Chris was shooting a 284 Ackley Improved. And he had no detachable magazine for the speed events.
He just hammered the shit out of some steel....

Last edited:
Mine was a Pierce Eng, 300Win on an AX chassis and Oby barrel with a Bushnell XRS running A-191 ammo. Rangefinder was a Bushnell 1 Mile and dope came directly from a Kestrel Horus 4500 that was spot on everytime including a 1st round hit on the 1250 plate in a 10mph full value. I ran a Bushnell Spotter when needed but we didnt mill the targets this go around.

Great match guys, I really enjoyed shooting with such high caliber professionals. Thanks to Rod and Jon for the event, Brock out did himself on the tenderloin once again!

MANY Thanks to Jon, Rod, Brock and ALL the people that work so hard to make ASC happen and make it such a great match. The shots, location, people and the food are all top notch and I cant thank them enough for what they put on for us. We've all made some great shots but for me, above all the shots, I've made some great friends because of this match. I cant thank those involved enough. It was a pleasure shooting with everyone.

I was shooting a custom 700 280AI.. A few other guys were shooting 7WSMs or a version of and a few 260s I believe.

Last edited:
I think it was safe to say that cabin #2 will never be the same after this weekend. The Barham brothers made sure of that.
The mountain was uncharacteristically kind to us and I that is a rare commodity up there.
Thanks to all that helped put the show on and gave to the match. I think the largest sponsors of the match were:

Crescent Customs
GA Precision
Euro Optics
Ashbury International
FNH
Sterling Arsenal

There were others but these guys stepped up big time.
Please remember them on your next purchases.
If I missed a big one I'm sorry. There was some WV shine in my system and I'm drawing a blank on some of it.

I also wanted to say thanks to all of the Veterans of the Mountain that stepped it up to help out some of the new guys that needed it. That truly is one of the largest
and most unique things about this match. At least in our group I saw a lot of it and that's what helps keep this match what it is.
See you guys on the flip side.

PS stay out of my fishing waters. I've claimed the stream behind the house. Just so everyone is aware of the situation........ ;-)

Last edited:
Three squirrels just showed-up at my house carrying very small six-packs of Yuengling and a stack of tiny pizza boxes. They asked to use my bathtub.
Because one of the squirrels was noticeably smaller than the others I told them to move along.

Spring ASC

Some pics from the match.

Attachments

• DSCN0189.jpg
    DSCN0189.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0196.jpg
    DSCN0196.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0214.jpg
    DSCN0214.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 23
2013 Spring ASC

Some more pics

Attachments

• DSCN0184.jpg
    DSCN0184.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0190.jpg
    DSCN0190.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0207.jpg
    DSCN0207.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0217.jpg
    DSCN0217.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Thank you to Rod, Jon, Brock and ALL the people that work so hard to make ASC possible. As a first time shooter to ASC thank you to all the veterans of ASC who helped me out. I had a blast! As for the Captain America incident I think I am permanently scared ... thxs cabin two. I have to say the food was out of this world saturday night and I had way to much, still feel the burn in my chest from that shine.