• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spring hunting trip recommendation

Thunderkok

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2019
Overland Park, KS
I am looking for help in planning a hunting trip with my son for his spring break. He is a junior in highschool and wants to do something other than a beach trip. My first inclination was Alaska, but it is still ball shrinking cold in March. I am clueless on what may be hunted, where, during that time of year. If spring is simply not a time anything can be hunted anywhere, other recommendations? Does anyone have any knowledge, sites I can reference, or know of companies that specialize in this? I am wanting to stay in North America.

I appreciate any help you all can give.

I am looking for help in planning a hunting trip with my son for his spring break. He is a junior in highschool and wants to do something other than a beach trip. My first inclination was Alaska, but it is still ball shrinking cold in March. I am clueless on what may be hunted, where, during that time of year. Does anyone have any knowledge, sites I can reference, or know of companies that specialize in this? I am wanting to stay in North America.

I appreciate any help you all can give.
Spring bears in the northern rockies. Idaho

Pigs, they are pretty much all year round. Coyote are the same.
This. Better chance of multiple shoots, less stress of having a "successful" hunt if this winter turns real nasty and you planned something in the mountains, and more flexibility on timing if his spring break doesn't match the seasons. A good alternative is spring turkey.

Highschool junior? When I was a highschool junior, everything I was interested in hunting could be found on a beach, and none could be found in the mountains.

Ok, maybe not everything and nothing. But, within rounding error anyway.

A bear hunt would be cool. Maybe it’s because we have them everywhere, but pig hunting does precisely nothing for me.

I’ve always wanted to do a prairie dog hunt.

Expanding out a bit, is South America out of the question? A dove hunt down there would be a literal blast.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Should get paid for killing pigs, theyre a massive nuisance.
With so many people absolutely foaming at the mouth to shoot a pig, why would any landowner pay anyone to shoot them? Charge a daily fee, plus a lodging fee, plus a food charge, and a trophy fee for a big one. Hunters will be lining up, holding their wallets over their heads.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Pigs, they are pretty much all year round. Coyote are the same.
The only thing I'll say about coyotes is that someone with no experience isn't going to show up and stack bodies. It takes a lot of knowledge and experience to reliably kill coyotes. People regularly hunt for years before they learn enough to kill coyotes.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
Kinda different angle here.
Spring is always a great time for fishing.
A once in a lifetime type Alaskan fishing trip would definitely be a highlight of a young mans world.
Halibut are in season, are a great fight on the rod, and some of the best eating you'll ever come across.

Hogs in Texas if you can stand the undecided weather. Cold weather one day, t-shirts the next.

Go to Argentina for Doves.

Or go shoot pigs.

Most of the spring seasons are very short, you'll need to find one that fits your window. And then I'd hire an outfitter to greatly increase your chances.

Depending on the budget for the hunt, I second a spring bear hunt. The bears on the Idaho/Montana border is a good hunt. Montana will be a spot and stalk hunt. Montana doesn't allow baiting or running dogs. If you are planning on going with a guide, I would hire one from Idaho. The reason being is Idaho allows baiting and running bear with dogs. You will find more color phase black bears in Idaho than Montana plus the forage for the bears is much better than found in Montana meaning the possibility of big bears will be in Idaho.

I just re-read the OP and realized that the time frame we are talking about is March.

I'me not exactly sure but that timeframe rules out anything in Montana (Spring Bear mid May) and Idaho, I think.

I think the OP's best bet is the South/Southeast. I'm certain there is something memorable and fun to do.

Come on you Southern Gentlemen, can you reccomend anything?

By March, I'd be looking North for fishing. Maybe southern Canada or the Great Lakes. It'll be cold but awesome.

If you must hunt, an Axis stalk in South Texas could be a good time. Really any exotic, I just think those are among the best eaters. Many of the reputable outfitters across the state and on up into Oklahoma will do a package for a few different animals. Your budget is the only limitation. I can share an outfitter rec or two if you PM me.

You can come kill pigs in Texas nearly any time. Its alot of fun, I just don't know about a keystone memory hunt.

Might help if you elaborated on budget and what types of hunting your son likes.

FWIW I always wanted to shoot an Osceola turkey. Florida would be a nice place to be in March.

Thanks all. Gave me some options to look into.

I agree that what I wanted to hunt as a junior wore a bikini. But, the kid has been to the beach 20-30x.

Southeast Alaska for Black Bear and fishing.
Sitka, Ketchikan, Petersburg, Wrangell, or Prince of Wales Island.