• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Spring Turkey Anyone?

el gordo2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
San Antonio, Tejas
I havent seen anything posted yet recently. Our season in the south zone in Texas opened the 21st of March. I scored on this rio, not a brute but a nice 2 yr old. 9.75" beard, 19 lbs and 7/8" spurs.

091gobblernnova.jpg

turkeygear.jpg

Re: Spring Turkey Anyone?

Nice Rio! We have to wait until the 20th of April here in Missouri. Someday I would love to go for a Slam.

mid april here also and i have been scouting a couple groups of turkeys but the biggest gobbler i've seen so far only has about a 7 to 8" beard.

Im going on the 4th and 5th. ***Pics up soon***
laugh.gif

April 15th turkey season opens here in Orygun. Can't wait.
Nice Bird you got there.
Rob

That's a great camo job on the Nova!
Our opener is April 11th.
This is the first year in a long time that the weather has stayed cool and kept them out of the mood before the season starts. Normally, they're strutting in Feb., but I've seen just a few swollen birds so far.
Should be a great year!

I know what your saying there tucker301, most of the time it's over before we can start. My chiropractor was telling me last night that he saw 3 strutting this past weekend with a big group of hens. Won't be long before they hen up. I don't even bother after the 2nd week usually. This cold might also hold the morrels at bay too
wink.gif

MO starts in a few weeks so can't wait. Work on farm too get it ready for more food plots

April 11th here in AR. I hope it's not too late. I've already seen some gobblers at work the past couple days.

April 11th here too, got my new bow tuned in last night and I'm pacing the floor waiting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What tips you using on your stick and string setup? </div></div>

Still a Muzzy fan, gotta "stick" with what works! Planning on using the 100Gr MX3.

With broadheads, I am a bit old fashioned, still using a fixed type such as a NAP Thunderhead and G5 Monotech. In some instances I use a stopper behind the head to keep the penetration down. Turkeys are not hard to kill, it's just that the vitals are a pretty small target.

I happened to take this one today with a 100 gr. G5 Monotec. I decided to shoot through the camo neting on my double bull so I didnt use a stopper in fear of deflecting the shot.

archery32709gobbler.jpg

Bowgobbler32709.jpg

nice bird. I've changed over to the slick tricks made by a guy here in Ar. Just changed over this past deer season with no luck, so I guess I will see if they will bring luck for turkey.

A very close friend of mine killed a fairly nice young buck (grossed 118) last year shooting Slick Tricks. Performed really well, I believe you'll like them.

Stick and string setup.. I will be using a ROSS Cardiac 331 at 63lbs and a full length Gold tip Pro Hunter with a 125 gr Magnus Bull Head on the end and for the farther out shots I'll have 1 in the quiver with a Grim Reaper 85gr. razor tip. I am really hoping to get a longbeard into range and let the bullhead put em down.
http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/bullhead.html

Can't wait to till my step son gets old enough to take out. Your sons bird busted his wing up pretty bad? Nice birds and I'm sure the story is a great one. Congrats

Nice birds boys. Have to wait till May this year. 13 year son is playing in a Spring football league. Can't wait!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait to till my step son gets old enough to take out. Your sons bird busted his wing up pretty bad? Nice birds and I'm sure the story is a great one. Congrats </div></div>
Pretty good story. We set up in a ground blind and the turkeys stayed at the far end of the field. We watched them till 9:30 and I told him "Let's go kill 'em".
We eased outta the blind, crawled over a canal levee and followed the canal to the river. We then followed the river bank to where the birds were strutting.
We were able to keep a levee between us and the birds the whole time. I dropped mine outright, but apparently Junior got a little excited. He wound up choking his out!!

I am even more impressed now. Its not everyday you hear of a hunter who is able to get a choke hold on a wild turkey. LOL, maybe you can get him some of these.
http://www.taser.com/products/law/Pages/XREP.aspx

My first turkey flopped around in a wash of cow shit water in a pasture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hatchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait to till my step son gets old enough to take out. Your sons bird busted his wing up pretty bad? Nice birds and I'm sure the story is a great one. Congrats </div></div>
Pretty good story. We set up in a ground blind and the turkeys stayed at the far end of the field. We watched them till 9:30 and I told him "Let's go kill 'em".
We eased outta the blind, crawled over a canal levee and followed the canal to the river. We then followed the river bank to where the birds were strutting.
We were able to keep a levee between us and the birds the whole time. I dropped mine outright, but apparently Junior got a little excited. He wound up choking his out!! </div></div>

April 15th here in NM. Cant wait. i bought 2 tags. gonna try the guilitine for the first and if i dont like it then montec G5.
Has anyone tried the G/G?

Yes, I have and I didn't care for it. Not that putting them together is rocket science but it is still a pain in the ASS. With holding them together while trying to screw them on and the straws its just a hassle. Give the Magnus Bullheads a try. Easy assembly with real hardware and has solid construction. I will have these in my quiver and for those uncooperative birds that want to hang up outside of 25 yards I will give them the Grim Reaper Razor tip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ayreshead79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">April 15th here in NM. Cant wait. i bought 2 tags. gonna try the guilitine for the first and if i dont like it then montec G5.
Has anyone tried the G/G? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I have and I didn't care for it. Not that putting them together is rocket science but it is still a pain in the ASS. With holding them together while trying to screw them on and the straws its just a hassle. Give the Magnus Bullheads a try. Easy assembly with real hardware and has solid construction. I will have these in my quiver and for those uncooperative birds that want to hang up outside of 25 yards I will give them the Grim Reaper Razor tip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ayreshead79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">April 15th here in NM. Cant wait. i bought 2 tags. gonna try the guilitine for the first and if i dont like it then montec G5.
Has anyone tried the G/G? </div></div> </div></div>

thanks.

Turkey season is very close for us too. I didn't get to hunt them last year, so maybe this year.

Some nice birds. I got out this morning early and did some calling where I want to hunt tomorrow, but then I had to go to a meeting, in which people decided when we could schedule more meetings.

I got lucky again last Thursday. Saw this one last Sunday and was able to keep tabs on him for a couple of days. I was able to see where he was flying down and where he was heading. I was a little late Wednesday morning and didn't quite get to where I wanted to be. Thursday morning I killed him when he hit the ground.
4.jpg
100_2222.jpg
100_2226.jpg