• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield 1903 questions

Mister Ridge

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    I have two questions I would like answered regarding Springfield 1903 rifles. I am soon going to be acquiring a Pre-A1 RIA M1903. The rifle is already drilled & tapped and, among other things, I am looking into getting a suitable scope mounted. For that reason, I have two questions I need answered.

1. Using standard scope mounts and a semi-normal scope, what height rings are required to clear an unmodified bolt? I would like to mount a vintage scope similar to the Weaver K6. If I can find one with the reticle I want, I may even mount a Weaver K6. I am not in position to get everything I want done immediately and that includes modifying the bolt.

2. When I have the money, where can I get a bolt modified to M1903A4 style? Could the CMP custom shop do this?

I am planning on firing open sights for awhile and setting up the rifle to allow easy scope removal. I will post pics of the rifle when I have it, which may be in a few days or a few months. Thanks for any help.

Edit: I feel the need to clarify something. I am not interested in building a 1903A4. I just want that bolt style so as to clear a scope.

Last edited: