• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Springfield 1911 Milspec Long Term Thread

RegularGuy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2010
Conus/Oconus
Picked it up for a good bit under $500 brand new the other day.

309811_158329027589942_100002385368170_300782_1528779521_n.jpg

Through talking with Big Joe, I ended up pointed in the direction of Chris at http://www.combatprecision.com to do some work on the gun while I am back overseas. I am chasing after a reasonably accurate but highly reliably gun that I can shoot until my trigger finger gets tired. I shot Chris an email around 1900 last night, and he got right back to me with a string of responses. Being the sucker for fast communication that I am, that sealed the deal. The gun is going off Monday for his Pro Package treatment and some other bits and pieces I may add in as time goes on. The Pro Package basically replaces all the internals, and adds Wilson grip/thumb safeties and slide release, Nowlin barrel, modified magwell, new internals, 20LPI checkering and Novak sights (May upgrade these).

I will be updating this thread as I get pictures as kind of a review of their work until I get a chance to come home and shoot it.

Re: Springfield 1911 Milspec Long Term Thread

Why didn't you buy TRP again?

What kind of finish are they going to put on it after all the work?

With everything being done to it wouldn't it have been cheaper to send a new slide and frame? The Milspec already shoots great out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RegularGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because this was roughly $400... </div></div> Where did you pick up a mil spec for $400? Thats a hell of a deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RegularGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because this was roughly $400... </div></div> Where did you pick up a mil spec for $400? Thats a hell of a deal. </div></div>

+1 I need a donor for a new BE rig! Hook us up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RegularGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because this was roughly $400... </div></div>

That's a great deal, but basically all you're keeping is the slide and frame, and that's not worth $400.

You're better off getting yourself a checkered frame and slide kit and adding the components you want, rather than throwing away perfectly good stuff and ending up with a sloppy gun when a slide/frame kit will be tighter from the beginning.

A good smith can build up either, but there's no reason to buy a mil-spec if what you really want is a TRP. If what you want is a truly custom gun, you might as well build one.

great gun, I have had one for 4 years now, it has had a ton of rounds through it, probably 15-20k, still runs like new. I kept it all stock, just put night sights on it and changed the recoil spring as needed. never had any FTF or FTE problems after the first 2 or 3 magazines through it. I used to carry it for 3 years at my old job. I would still use it for carry, even over my other guns. but NJ is so anti-gun and wont give out CCW permits. the one they did give me was restricted to just when working and they took it away when I left the job.