• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield Armory 1911 DS Prodigy

Clayman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2021
AZ
https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-ds-series-handguns/1911-ds-prodigy-handguns/

prodigy-alt-feature-1600x1200-2-1-1024x768.png

prodigy-model-feature-grid-3-2-1024x1024.jpg

Springfield-Armory-Prodigy-9mm-pistol.jpg

prodigy-model-feature-grid-2-2-1024x1024.jpg

prodigy-model-feature-grid-4-2-1024x1024.jpg

prodigy-model-feature-grid-5-2-1024x1024.jpg

prodigy-model-feature-grid-6-2-1024x1024.jpg

MSRP of $1499

"The Prodigy™ from Springfield Armory takes the proven 1911 platform and enhances it with double-stack capacity and a performance-driven feature set. Reconfigured around a double-stack magazine, the Prodigy’s polymer grip module mounts to its forged steel frame offering capacities of 17+1 and 20+1. Optics ready with an ambidextrous safety and picatinny rail the Prodigy combines the most beloved characteristics of the 1911 with modern capacity for unrivaled performance."

Uses the Agency Arms AOS mounting system.
Has 17, 20 and 26 round mags available.

Mags have a $60 msrp

I'm personally very interested to check this out.

Big fan of this release. STI needs some pressure on those hi cap 1911s-- Rock Island is there but everyone just turns their nose up at them. SA may have more clout to provide decent competition. Bul armory also has some, but never seen them in the wild.

Also Screw STI for jacking their prices 50-100% on competition handguns when they went "Tactical Timmy"

YEP.... STI really fcuked that whole thing up. They had a great thing going and a moderate 5-10% increase over a year or two probably wouldnt of even been noticed, but they went straight for the jug...

At this point, better off getting a custom 2011

Reactions: IronicTwitch
Do we know if its a series 70 or 80 style? I'm assuming 70 with no pin safety mechanism but I don't know shit about 2011s

Sucks for me I bought two Staccatos this year including the XC 🥹

If these things run reliably, and the cheaper.....maybe cheaper ($60 direct, no idea what stores will sell for) mags are reliable, they will make more profit just selling mags than all their guns combined. I've had an STI and Staccato, wasn't impressed with either really, nice, but once they jacked pricing up they were way overpriced. Not to mention any gun you have to buy a magazine feed lip bending (sorry "tuning") tool to get it to run, belongs on the $100 shelf of a pawn shop or trash can.

Some places are advertising these under $1400, you could have a trigger job and action tune and buy 6 mags and still not spend $2k. If they turn out to be reliably they will bury STI/Staccato.

It also sounds like they are not stopping with these, there's going to be more offerings. I learned not to be a beta tester with Sig (well with Sig you're really an alpha tester), but if in a year or two these things prove themselves, might need one.

Last edited:
YEP.... STI really fcuked that whole thing up. They had a great thing going and a moderate 5-10% increase over a year or two probably wouldnt of even been noticed, but they went straight for the jug...

Yup--they priced themselves for an "entry" level Limited gun right at the same cost as a semi-custom. Plus their CS and QC has been on the slide for a few years. Hopefully the SA debut will be good for all involved. I've been chugging along with my El-Cheapo Rock Island, but its a 45 and a 9mm would 4 inch would be a great addition to the stable.

Options are good.

Good looking gun.

With CAD and CNC, most new guns run. If only I had a reason... Maybe sell a 1911 or two. But then I'd have a new gun that I never shoot 'cause I spend all my time shooting PRS and reloading. :p

Finally a proper use of a "grip module" and I see they didnt put GripZone on it either 😂 really cool idea to use the polymer to get it skinny, textured and extend the base for longer mags without making it look like youre in a local rap video with "dat 'stendo in da glizzy"

Good MSRP. This and a SV Infinity Ignition Kit and putting on a proper RDS like a SRO and this thing fucks hard. SA has been slowly turning it around I guess even though the Hellion was...odd.

Caspian was making a double stack not that long ago....now I can't find one on their site ?

I'm very interested as I was interested in a Staccato anyways.

Do the Staccato guns have any MIM parts or are they all forged/tool steel/hand fitted or ?

I'm curious if the Prodigy will have MIM parts...I'm sure for $1400

I'm very interested as I was interested in a Staccato anyways.

Do the Staccato guns have any MIM parts or are they all forged/tool steel/hand fitted or ?

I'm curious if the Prodigy will have MIM parts...I'm sure for $1400
Springfield loves MIM.

I think Hilton Yam has a video on Staccato manufacturing and assembly that answers those questions.

Reactions: 30calDeath
Any idea if the mags are compatible with STI or anyone else's platform? Or are they a completely new design?

Guess I missed it, what are STI’s up to now?

...if you can afford it.
Just paid off the balance to my smith on parts. Between his bulk discounts on stuff like the Kart barrels and Nighthawk small parts, Cheely frame, JEM slide, the parts alone on the build are around $1500 with no mark-up to me.

Regarding the STI/Staccato thing, the best I can explain it is that its simultaneously the biggest rip-off and best value for a ready-made 2011 that will run well out of the box...depending how you approach it.

Compared to the price for a SVI, not shabby!
Not to derail, but you thinking of getting one?

Guy on my team got a 10mm built out for his retirement from command and it came in around 6K and that was in 2015. It was definitely worth the money and if you can afford it - there isn't a single better 2011 out there and I think I've fingered all of them.

Not to derail, but you thinking of getting one?

Guy on my team got a 10mm built out for his retirement from command and it came in around 6K and that was in 2015. It was definitely worth the money and if you can afford it - there isn't a single better 2011 out there and I think I've fingered all of them.

I got a SVI in 40 a few years back, awesome pistol, probably be a while before the drop the coin on another one

Reactions: BipThatInstance
Interesting... Springfield is sometimes pretty good at copying stuff that's pretty good.

STI is dead though, what it once was: 1911-pattern guns made in Texas by Texans who only make 1911-pattern guns... died, and became a zombie named Staccato who watched too much youtube, quit going to matches, started attending all those beared-tactical-guy weekends Garand Thumb recommends at the end of his videos instead, and got the itch to put Magpul stickers on their truck (usually a Toyota Tacoma and/or Jeep).

Interesting... Springfield is sometimes pretty good at copying stuff that's pretty good.

STI is dead though, what it once was: 1911-pattern guns made in Texas by Texans who only make 1911-pattern guns... died, and became a zombie named Staccato who watched too much youtube, quit going to matches, started attending all those beared-tactical-guy weekends Garand Thumb recommends at the end of his videos instead, and got the itch to put Magpul stickers on their truck (usually a Toyota Tacoma and/or Jeep).

Don’t drag the mighty taco into this

I'd like the 4.25 sent out to have the chunk port, or whatever they're calling it now, done. The trigger deal mentioned above looks interesting, though I've never heard of it, the "SV infinity ignition kit."

Run a MBX defender 18rd as the "in the gun" mag and a 20 rounder of whatever reliable variety for backup.

Still not a red dot guy though, would love to know if it's some new proprietary dovetail that won't have any decent iron sights available, or if it's something used prior that gives me many options.

The takedown is retarded, a person would need to figure out a better recoil spring/guide rod route for this, don't know what's available here either.

Still not a red dot guy though, would love to know if it's some new proprietary dovetail that won't have any decent iron sights available, or if it's something used prior that gives me many options.
Agency AOS cut. It’s an existing option on the market, though I think Agency’s plates have been hard to come by for a while now.

My only gripe... No threaded bull-barrel option... I'd love to have a 5" model with the HEX RMR, and a threaded bull-barrel for my cans.

Curious if the guide rod and spring could be changed out for something less ridiculous. Beautiful piece though.

My only gripe... No threaded bull-barrel option... I'd love to have a 5" model with the HEX RMR, and a threaded bull-barrel for my cans.

There is a process that must be followed, and that's to introduce a lower-end model first to pull in all the impatient buyers, and then do something a bit more feature-rich next year to sell those people yet another gun.

There is a process that must be followed, and that's to introduce a lower-end model first to pull in all the impatient buyers, and then do something a bit more feature-rich next year to sell those people yet another gun.
In the past, that was always the functional sales model. But in 2022, where suppressors are now as mainstream as the AR15, the NFA guys are truly driving the sales. I think it quite foolish not to start out offering a threaded version, as well.

Do we know if its a series 70 or 80 style? I'm assuming 70 with no pin safety mechanism but I don't know shit about 2011s
According to one review...
"The arse-end of the slide below your chosen sighting device is resolutely old-school and conforms to the Series 70 pattern, with thankfully no trace of a firing pin safety to mess up the classic 1911 trigger pull. "

Got one inbound because why not?

I might be wrong, but can I get one in .45 ACP also?

ETA: My first 2 Glocks were in .45.

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ
I completely understand why I’ll never be able to buy this in .45 ACP.
That does not keep me from wanting this in .45 ACP.
Like, “take my money!” want this in .45 ACP.
First World Gen X’er problems……

Acquaintance of mine has one in hand. And he's sending it back already...

I wonder how many noobs are going to show up at the next USPSA match with one of those and an optic wanting to shoot CO but told they have to shoot in Open.

Many, I bet.
I've already seen some arguments for allowing SA guns in CO because of this gun "needing a place to compete" or something like that.

I've already seen some arguments for allowing SA guns in CO because of this gun "needing a place to compete" or something like that.

They have a place: Open or Limited. Those guys can EABOD.

I always cringe when people talk about needing to change rules so new guys don't show up and get put in open only to get their dicks stomped in. New guys will get destroyed in any division. That's where we all start, it's just part of the progression.

I always cringe when people talk about needing to change rules so new guys don't show up and get put in open only to get their dicks stomped in. New guys will get destroyed in any division. That's where we all start, it's just part of the progression.

Yeah, I always LOL at the cocky noobs

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
The BOD (you assign your favorite meaning) shot it down
They'll try again next year.
I saw a bunch of posts from guys like Froelich recently tagging USPSA and promoting Limited Optics like it was a real division. Apparently pretending is the first step towards getting what you want.

They'll try again next year.
I saw a bunch of posts from guys like Froelich recently tagging USPSA and promoting Limited Optics like it was a real division. Apparently pretending is the first step towards getting what you want.

Who is Froelich? Pretending will just make for butthurt noobs when they get told welcome to open.

Reactions: Modoc
I've been wanting a new match gun, if this one works they will kill STI.

Who is Froelich?
The guy that's always right behind or ahead of Leograndis at any big PCC match, most recent IPSC Shotgun World Shoot champion, probably the second best 3 gunner in the world currently. Legitimately a good guy in my experience, not sure why he gets on the fake division hype train.

Hopefully they have the bugs worked out by the time one shows up in my area. Until then I can occupy my spare brain cells arguing with my self over which one, 5" or 4.25". But in the end it will be decided by wich one I find first.