• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield Armory Bolt Action

Looks like a lot of gun for the money. $1700-$2400...

I got an email a bit ago.

Immediately went on my "gotta check one out" list. From the feature list, looks like a sweet setup at a really good price, especially if street price is typical vs retail.

The action is actually impressive for the money if I'm interpreting the pictures correctly.

Looks like it has an integral lug, side bolt release, threaded bolt handle, and a pinned rail.

It's Rem 700 footprint, that's even better.

Reactions: Jackomason
I wasn't a fan of the Delta 5 when DD rolled that out because it's a proprietary action from a newcomer to the game.

Springfield is a newcomer to the game, but it's all Rem 700 stuff. From what I can tell, I don't think they're making the action, and they aren't making the the trigger, the stock, or the barrel. They slap their brand name on it and ship it and maybe do the assembly/barrel fitting.

I'm not nearly as cautious of this out of the gate. If the rifles can shoot, you would be hard pressed to build a rifle yourself with these components any cheaper.

Reactions: Renegade_Red
People don’t like Trump because of bump stocks...

I don’t like SA because of the Illinois betrayal.

YMMV

Reactions: plt228
Got a couple of them.....

Here is one.

1601400600669.png

the other.....

1601401062806.png

)p it and maybe do the assembly/barrel fitting.

I'm not nearly as cautious of this out of the gate. If the rifles can shoot, you would be hard pressed to build a rifle yourself with these components any cheaper.

Same concerns. Wonder who/where the action is made? Does a guy jump in early and chance the growing pains on a new product?/ tooling/assembly?
Definitely feature rich, and got a look to it!

Was just reading about this and came looking for a thread to see what the smarts thought about it. I’m a dumb when it comes to actions but it looks like a nice rifle for the money.

People don’t like Trump because of bump stocks...

I don’t like SA because of the Illinois betrayal.

YMMV

Still located in Geneseo, bout 2 hours from me. Can you fill me in on the betrayal? You guys are my industry news source.

LMT and Les Bear both jumped the border to Iowa. Can't blame them myself.

Still located in Geneseo, bout 2 hours from me. Can you fill me in on the betrayal? You guys are my industry news source.

LMT and Les Bear both jumped the border to Iowa. Can't blame them myself.
They claim they didn’t check on their lobbyist’s actual motives....hard to believe.

Looks good, but I'm not sold on that carbon barrel. A fluted barrel inside a sleeve, that doesn't contact the flutes? Either it will work really well like a Lewis, or it will just be an expensive gimmick - and I don't see that muzzle brake directing any airflow...

Could end up being a really nice factory PRC option.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Agreed, looks well done.
Hearing October delivery.
Also hearing action production is in-house at SA. Fairly certain SA dug deep into what’s available in the current action market. These days 700 clone actions are very much like 1911’s, *anyone* can CNC a good product(with funding and knowledgeable folks).

integrated recoil lug and 700 foot print? i wonder what kind of tolerances they are holding on those actions and if shouldered prefits will follow.

I really like how they thought this one out to be a decent hunting rifle. the price seems justified!

Reactions: stello1001
I would imagine it’s in their best interest to be dimensionally consistent enough to use prefit barrels themselves.

If it's a custom action (basically is) and they're savvy enough to wire EDM the raceways, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they have probably done their homework on the rest of it.

I'm actually exited about this rifle if only for the value, and while I usually don't get worked up about much, here's my thinking:

IF the action is as well-machined as I suspect it likely is, we're looking at an action that out in the wild would cost around the $1,000 mark. A short action with an integral lug, side bolt release, a pinned rail, prethreaded bolt knob, etc. usually would lighten your wallet by about $1,000. It's also model 700 footprint, so even if you want another stock, I'm sure there will be someone looking to buy a CF stock from a good outfit like AG Composites.

You can't hardly get a barreled custom action for $1,600, which is the MSRP on their base model. Even if it only holds .75 MOA, I get a good carbon fiber stock and trigger for the cost of a barreled action, and I can rebarrel down the road if I'm unsatisfied.

Hmmm, I wonder if the AR manufacturers see the potential writing on the wall if Biden gets in and are starting to put out BA rifles. C'Mon KAC, time for you to create something. Recently, there have been quite a few doing it.

Why go with 6-48 rail mounting screws on a new rifle that comes with the rail?

It’s going to be really interesting to see how the industry fleshes itself out in the next 5 years. With a company like SA coming out with a rifle of this specification at this price, it’s only going to push prices down. Competition in the market is a great thing for us! Going to be interesting to see who is still around and going strong in 5 years.

i wonder what (or if) custom action manufacturers go the route of machining more actions for the big companies rather than direct to consumers. It could be a good thing for the industry. Get the great tolerances of a custom action and those companies are guaranteed “x” amount of business. Could be a good marriage.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I saw the add in Firearms News and there as nothing on their website over the weekend, wonder when these will be seen in the wild

I think I saw somewhere it was so you can use other 700 bases if you choose to.
It's a 700 footprint, so anything will work. If someone isn't satisfied with a 6x48 pinned rail or just wants 8x40, they can always send it to a smith.

The bolt body and bolt handle do not appear to be machined out of a single piece. Am I seeing this right?

The other thing that caught my attention, they do not have a sub MOA guarantee but rather a 3/4 MOA guarantee or better. This should be very very interesting. To be able to say your rifle is capable of that (and I'm assuming this is with quality factory match ammo) then this tells me their barrels are done right. Or they could just be delivering false promises but who knows. Looks interesting for sure...

It's a 700 footprint, so anything will work. If someone isn't satisfied with a 6x48 pinned rail or just wants 8x40, they can always send it to a smith.

Being a 700 footprint has nothing to do with the base. An origin is a 700 footprint but you can't put any 700 base on it. Hence my original point.

Reactions: Jknox1030
Being a 700 footprint has nothing to do with the base. An origin is a 700 footprint but you can't put any 700 base on it. Hence my original point.

True, Zermatt includes a rail of your choosing with the action and they have their own system for pinning it, so it makes sense they aren't compatible.

Springfield explicitly mentions that their action accepts Remington 700 pattern picatinny rails, so I think buyers are safe buying another rail if they're unsatisfied with the factory config.

Impact has the 308 listed at $2104.00. Carbon barrel but non adjustable stock. 170 off retail, so some idea of initial street price.