• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Springfield Armory Government 6x40

sblanch

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Iowa
Was wondering about these scopes in general and if there is any demand for them in the resale/used market.

Re: Springfield Armory Government 6x40

They are marginal scopes at best. I have seen some with fairly clear glass and others with a slightly yellow hue to them. The BDC reticle for the 7.62 match ammo is different, as is the internal bubble level, but beyond that...not great scopes.

All that being said...they seem to fetch a pretty penny on eGay, etc. if you are looking to part with one.

I have owned one and payed a nice price for it only to realize I paid for a name. I love SA but these scopes were assembled in Japan and if I'm not mistaken used japanese glass. The first models were nice I was told but through time QA was lost some where on the line. The glass on mine was good but for the amount they go for used, you can always buy something better, I see them for between 600-850 regularly. The quality and rugedness leave much to be desired. Don't make the same mistake I did. Best avoided. hope this helps

i mean nothings wrong with Japanese glass, was just stating info on make and assembly.

A rifle I'm looking a has one on top of it and I'm trying to decide if I can count on easily selling the scope to offset the cost of a new one, or if I should figure on keeping it.
Thanks for the help.

x6 power , 1" tube, 308 drop out to 700yds
(had one, sold for $200, + wish i would have kept it for hunting rifle or old school on 308 Enfield)