• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield Armory Museum visit

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So Monday, I was down in Springfield, Ma. giving a talk at the Springfield museums. I had a couple of hours to kill before the talk and walked up the steet to the Springfield Armory Museum. All the times I have been in Springfield and I never had time to go.

What an amazing place. I'll go back when I have a day to spend. Or at least 3 - 4 hours. Some really amazing guns and I didn't have a chance to see most of them. But loved the place. It's free, run by National Park Service.

Here's a few highlights... that barely scratch the surface:

IMG_0356.jpg

The top rifle was struck by lightning while being carried by a sentry. Twisted rifle and bayonet like a pretzel... but didn't fire the charge!

IMG_0357.jpg

One of a number of rifles 'personalized' by soldiers and preserved for their artistic value

IMG_0358.jpg

Experimental 'burst' rifle that was intended to inflict multiple wound channels with each burst/shot.

A few more pictures coming in a moment...

If you get out to Central Mass, this place is a great pilgrimage for anyone who loves history and American military firearms. I'll be going back!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Re: Springfield Armory Museum visit

IMG_0373.jpg

Mann device. Someone mentioned that one of these was stolen recently. Here is the one in the museum.

IMG_0371.jpg

These were called 'organs.' They are storage racks that were packed into the upper floors. Hundreds of thousands of rifles would have been packed into organs in the Armory's heyday.

IMG_0366.jpg

Experimental devices for shooting from in the trenches.

Some amazing stuff. Worth the visit.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks for sharing the cool pics, very interesting. If I'm ever in the area I'll have to check that place out.

i went there in june of 06 on my way home from buying a race bike in vermont.

kick ass place!!! loved every minute of it!

A number of years back I was at the Museum for a cocktail party put on by S&W, and part of it was tours of the upstairs storage area. That was a sight to see!, row after row of weapons through the years, numerous first serial number guns, experimental guns ie: Garands, M14's, T48's, pretty much any gun you could think of they had it. That is an incredible place to go, highly recommend it if you are in the area.