• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

springfield Armory waypoint 2020

mjwilcox38

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2021
North Carolina
I was curious if anyone has had problems with the new 2020 waypoint. I purchased a 6.5 CM two months ago for deer season online through Brownells. I received the rifle and noticed the action installed sideways. On the end of the barrel one side of the stock was touching the barrel and a large gap on the other side. That bothered me but I thought if it shots well then I could sand it down and fix. I took it to the range and put several different kinds of AMMO through it and every group was larger than 1.5 inch. SO I sent it back to Springfield Armory hoping they would fix the look of the rifle and the accuracy issue of the rifle. After Springfield kept the rifle for over a month, missing deer hunt, I received the rifle back in the same shape. Springfield said they tightened down the action screws. which was a slap in the face and the incorrectly installed action was in spec. Like I didnt try that with proper torque setting before I sent it back missing deer season. I shot the rifle with two different vortex razor scopes, both work well on other rifles. I shot the gun on bench and in vise to take shooter error out of process still getting groups larger than Springfields accuracy promise of .75 inch. Majority of groups average about 1.5 inches. Brownells has offered to take the gun back and refund which is direction I am leaning. I really like the look of the gun and would like to keep. I even tried sanding down the channel to get the barrel off the stock with no prevail. Any help would be appreciated. Springfield has sent the gun back in same condition. I hate to keep a 2300 gun that will not shoot MOA.

I was curious if anyone has had problems with the new 2020 waypoint. I purchased a 6.5 CM two months ago for deer season online through Brownells. I received the rifle and noticed the action installed sideways. On the end of the barrel one side of the stock was touching the barrel and a large gap on the other side. That bothered me but I thought if it shots well then I could sand it down and fix. I took it to the range and put several different kinds of AMMO through it and every group was larger than 1.5 inch. SO I sent it back to Springfield Armory hoping they would fix the look of the rifle and the accuracy issue of the rifle. After Springfield kept the rifle for over a month, missing deer hunt, I received the rifle back in the same shape. Springfield said they tightened down the action screws. which was a slap in the face and the incorrectly installed action was in spec. Like I didnt try that with proper torque setting before I sent it back missing deer season. I shot the rifle with two different vortex razor scopes, both work well on other rifles. I shot the gun on bench and in vise to take shooter error out of process still getting groups larger than Springfields accuracy promise of .75 inch. Majority of groups average about 1.5 inches. Brownells has offered to take the gun back and refund which is direction I am leaning. I really like the look of the gun and would like to keep. I even tried sanding down the channel to get the barrel off the stock with no prevail. Any help would be appreciated. Springfield has sent the gun back in same condition. I hate to keep a 2300 gun that will not shoot MOA.
That’s really cheesy of Springfield, all the way around. Don’t waste any more time on it, take Brownells up on their offer. Get your refund and go find something else that tickles your fancy. Good for Brownells for standing behind it and supporting their customer, you.

BTW, the reason for the problem was that the action screw holes were drilled improperly/offset in the stock. It could be fixed, but requires a fair amount of work. Apparently, more work than Springfield was willing to put into it in order to fix their fuck up and satisfy a customer. Pretty bush league If you ask me.

Last edited:
I agree with @Threadcutter308 , if Brownells will take a return even after you modified it, then definitely go that route. Also, in the future, I’d suggest not trying to fix manufacturing defects yourself with irreversible modifications unless you absolutely have to, if returns are an option. Way less hassle for everyone involved.

What a disgusting situation to be in; Springfield Armory appears to have gone seriously downhill if this is an example of their current CS.

Sounds like Springfield hasn't changed how they resolve problems. Quite a few years ago I had bought a 1911 Loaded that had several problems . I believed that it didn't meet their accuracy spec of 3" at 25 yards. They sent it back to me and said it met spec. I ended up replacing the barrel and now it shoots great.

Sounds like this an AG composites issue as they make all the waypoint stock. Granted SF should have caught it in the qc before rifle went out the door. It's also possible the action's screw holes could have been miss-machined as AG usually makes an excellent finished product.

Just looking for waypoint threads and came across this. Just curious what you ended up doing? I just got a 6.5cm after looking for one for awhile. I’ve only had it out to the range once so far. It was shooting 1moa with a cheap scope and rings I had laying around, and some factory loads I had. It did seem to like the lighter loads better. But shot great. loading up some custom rounds to see what it likes.
im kinda surprised there hasn’t been more discussion of these rifles on this board. By the way mine has the carbon fiber barrel. Is yours CF?

Just looking for waypoint threads and came across this. Just curious what you ended up doing? I just got a 6.5cm after looking for one for awhile. I’ve only had it out to the range once so far. It was shooting 1moa with a cheap scope and rings I had laying around, and some factory loads I had. It did seem to like the lighter loads better. But shot great. loading up some custom rounds to see what it likes.
im kinda surprised there hasn’t been more discussion of these rifles on this board. By the way mine has the carbon fiber barrel. Is yours CF?
For the money you’re much better off going the custom route.

Reactions: Milf Dots
For the money you’re much better off going the custom route.
Not trying to start an argument, but I looked at that route first. If you try to put this rifle together in separate pieces you would be over 3k not to mention the wait of gunsmith availability. And once I develop a load for it,(which would have to be done for a custom build as well) I highly doubt that a 3k custom rifle would shoot better.

Not trying to start an argument, but I looked at that route first. If you try to put this rifle together in separate pieces you would be over 3k not to mention the wait of gunsmith availability. And once I develop a load for it,(which would have to be done for a custom build as well) I highly doubt that a 3k custom rifle would shoot better.
Not trying to start an argument here, but you’re wrong.

If $3k was the minimum for a custom then you’re looking at the wrong parts or places. Plenty of stuff on here with cheaper actions, stocks, and prefit barrels to get you in WELL under that number. Is it going to have a carbon barrel/stock/etc? No, but at least you’ll have a good shooting rifle. Plenty of other ways to save weight if you’re that concerned about it.

As far as gunsmith availability, there are plenty of places inside of a month or two right now. Even less if you went the prefit route and put it together yourself. Regardless, you’d spend less time and far less headache having one built than sending a Waypoint back to Springfield/Brownell’s etc. multiple times.

Finally, you are still talking about a mass-produced factory rifle. Could you get one to shoot well with a good stock/barrel/load? Absolutely. Not saying you couldn’t. But you’re kidding yourself if you think it’s going to shoot better (or the likelihood that it would shoot better) than a properly built custom all else being equal.

All this is not to say that the Springfield is a bad rifle or was a bad choice for you. Ultimately if it fit your needs and what you wanted then you got the right rifle. But don’t confuse it as being the best performing option at or around the price point… I can assure you it’s not.

Reactions: redx and 308pirate
Here's a bh origin, ag composites, proof prefit for under 2700$ but no brake or bedding, so price will be close to 3k upon finish. You can't compare prices of second hand pre owned classifieds parts when talking about custom build prices.

If $3k was the minimum for a custom then you’re looking at the wrong parts or places. Plenty of stuff on here with cheaper actions, stocks, and prefit barrels to get you in WELL under that number. Is it going to have a carbon barrel/stock/etc? No, but at least you’ll have a good shooting rifle. Plenty of other ways to save weight if you’re that concerned about it.

As far as gunsmith availability, there are plenty of places inside of a month or two right now. Even less if you went the prefit route and put it together yourself. Regardless, you’d spend less time and far less headache having one built than sending a Waypoint back to Springfield/Brownell’s etc. multiple times.

Finally, you are still talking about a mass-produced factory rifle. Could you get one to shoot well with a good stock/barrel/load? Absolutely. Not saying you couldn’t. But you’re kidding yourself if you think it’s going to shoot better (or the likelihood that it would shoot better) than a properly built custom all else being equal.

All this is not to say that the Springfield is a bad rifle or was a bad choice for you. Ultimately if it fit your needs and what you wanted then you got the right rifle. But don’t confuse it as being the best performing option at or around the price point… I can assure you it’s not.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Even the below referenced builders kit, UNAVAILABLE in any combination, plus another couple hundred dollars in tools,,, barrel vice, go-no go gauge, action wrench. And while i have built a few AR's, 1911s, and Glock kit's. I'm going to hope this rifle is better put together than a novice like me could do. I guess there's no love, at least on the Hide for this rifle, that's ok. Custom home built precision rifles aren't for everyone, and the Waypoint fills the need for people like me.

Reactions: BoJangles

"But don’t confuse it as being the best performing option at or around the price point… I can assure you it’s not."
Please tell me what is for $2k, unless you consider 1/3 more at 3k as being the same price point, because I don't.

*sigh*

KRG Bravo - $350
Defiance Tenacity SA - $885
Preferred Tenacity Prefit - $480 (w/ optional muzzle threading)
Trigger - $200
Misc. rails & accessories - $85
Total - $2,000

All in-stock, MSRP listed (no sales) etc. No tax, shipping, transfer fees accounted for since you’d have to pay that on the Springfield too.

You could substitute the Tenacity with a Bighorn Origin if you’d rather. Plenty of in-stock prefits available for either. Wait until sales pop up as a bonus (X-Cal runs 20% off pretty much every other week) and build one for even less than that.

Even if you paid a gunsmith to assemble the parts for you instead of paying “another couple hundred in tools”, that’s MAYBE $100-200 at most extra. I would personally have more faith in the above build and rather pay the $2,200 or whatever the total ended up being over the Waypoint 10 times out of 10. And like you said, maybe that’s just the Hide’s mantra… custom above all else. But the “home-brew custom” build is a proven concept and likely going to net you a rifle that performs MUCH better than the sum of its parts. And certainly better than a factory Springfield all else being equal (ammo, optic, etc.).

Again, it’s not for everyone. If the Waypoint offers what you wanted then all of this is a moot point. Shoot it and enjoy it. Don’t let some interwebz chat board guy get you down over your decision.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Even the below referenced builders kit, UNAVAILABLE in any combination, plus another couple hundred dollars in tools,,, barrel vice, go-no go gauge, action wrench. And while i have built a few AR's, 1911s, and Glock kit's. I'm going to hope this rifle is better put together than a novice like me could do. I guess there's no love, at least on the Hide for this rifle, that's ok. Custom home built precision rifles aren't for everyone, and the Waypoint fills the need for people like me.
Dude I'm not propagating for the 3k origin build, I'm saying it'll take 3k to get same build as the waypoint. I've played with a waypoint and felt it was a lot of gun for the price. I like the waypoint but would prefer more barrel length. I really like the waypoint stock, and wish ag would offer it to the public. Jury is still out on the consistency of the BSF barrels but from the few I've read, they shoot good.

Someone needs to come out with prefits for the new Mac bros EVO actions as they're 550$, a proof carbon prefit if you're a vip cam be had for 700$, that rifle could be built for 2300$ or so. But right now, Mac Bros hasn't made a run of actions for some time.

I love mine. This required no effort--groups were a tad bigger, (.5") with the heavier factory loads. Not even close to fully broken in. I bought it specifically for the shorter barrel for field use/coyote calling/hunting, so the 20" barrel was perfect with the Omega 36M can on the end.
thumbnail_Ballistic-X-Export-2021-12-17 170627.215008.jpg

I purchased one over the weekend and it has the same problem. I contacted Springfield and they asked me to send it to them and they sent me a shipping label. I was very disappointed to say the least. Hopefully they make it right and they don't try to just fix the existing stock. The pillars in the stock appeared to be linear with the barrel channel but offset to one side and withing about a 1/16" of touching while the opposite side has a large gap. I'll let you all know how the repair goes. They told me 2-4 weeks turnaround.

• Wow
I should have heeded this thread's warning before buying one myself! Mine does not have this issue, but I shot 100rds between 1.5–2+ MOA with Norma Golden Target 143gr. Not impressed in the slightest.
Now I have to figure out what to do about this. Should've bought from Brownells!

• Wow
I bought one in 6.5 PRC and it is performing excellent. No issues at all. If I would make any change to it, I would go with a 1.5 to 5lb trigger instead of the 2.5 to 5lb trigger it comes with. Otherwise, it is my favorite rifle. I love it.

Reactions: floridajpr and 92G
Just a quick follow up on my warranty work that Springfield did. As a quick reminder, the barrel was touching the stock along the left edge.

Here's the experience:

• Called Springfield and explained the issue - they immediately issued and RMA and sent me a pre-paid shipping label
  • About a week after shipping I received and email saying they received it and I should expect it back in 2-4 weeks.
  • 5 weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I called. They already had the rifle done and I had missed their email. It had taken them about 2 weeks.
  • What they did: they replaced the stock, bottom metal and action screws.
  • They then quickly shipped it to me after my call, it took two days to get to me from the time of the conversation.
  • HOW IS IT NOW? The new stock aligned perfectly with the barrel and they properly torqued everything.
All in all, I wish I didn't have to send a $2300 rifle back for warranty repairs right after purchasing. With that being said, the customer service is among the best I've ever experienced. In fact, I would argue its easer than dealing with a custom shop who might not have access to replacement parts in a timely manner. (Almost all my rifles are customs, so I do appreciate the work they provide.)

This coming week ill work on trying a few different loads, 130 Eld-m, 143 Eld-X and 130 Sierra game changers. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I bought one in 6.5 PRC and it is performing excellent. No issues at all. If I would make any change to it, I would go with a 1.5 to 5lb trigger instead of the 2.5 to 5lb trigger it comes with. Otherwise, it is my favorite rifle. I love it.
Same, I swapped it out for a Trigger Tech Primary, much better!

Trigger Tech Field trigger. It’s a nice trigger, but I have primaries, specials and diamonds on my other rifles and the field is just too heavy of a pull when you get used to the others.