• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield Aromory M1A Socom ???

bwatson8541

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Baytown Texas
Im thinking about purchacing the M1A Socom but i dont have any experiance with this rifle. Can anyone tell me what its capabilities are at long range and what optic would be best suited for this gun.

Thanx in advance.

Re: Springfield Aromory M1A Socom ???

I never owned a SOCOM but I did own a National Match. My NM was a consistent 1MOA rifle with FGMM. I think you would be extremely lucky to get that kind of accuracy out of a SOCOM. Sniper Rifle-No, Designated Marksman Rifle-Maybe. With that being said they are great rifles, just don't fool yourself into thinking that you will be shooting 1/2 MOA groups with it. As far as an optic goes, it depends on what you want to use the rifle for. Steve.

It's not a long range weapon.

It's a great ranch gun... 100-200 yards with an Aimpoint or a Eotech. Loud as hell- you will not endear yourself to your neighbors if you start runnin' mags.
Oh- and I love the hell out of it!
If accuracy is more important you can get a scout, but again its a 300 +/- meter weapon. Get a NM or Super NM, but for what your gonna spend- there are a lot of choices in that price range, and rifles that are a lot easier to find right now.

The SOCOM is good out to about 400 yards.
That said... it is a sweet short range set-up when you install the M8
hand guard from UltiMAK and a Micro optic or Comp ML3 from Aimpoint.

I recommend the Bush/Scout/MK14 if you plan to shoot out near 700 yards.
A good variable magnification optic is a good idea with the 18.0" barrel.

I bought the Socom 16 about 4 years ago. Ended up taking off the black fiberglass stock and the forward sight rail.Put on a Fulton wood stock and solid fiberglass hand guard. Really love the rifle now.
Have only shot the rifle out to 250 yards, but it shot good at that distance.
Personally I've never saw the sense of the Socom II and hanging a bunch off of it. Defeats the handiness of the rifle. Try shooting the rifle with just the iron sights, you'll love it.

scout1

Waterboy- 400 yards huh with a Socom? What's your group like? In what position are you deploying the weapon?

Offhand/ prone it is a CQB.... be realistic this gun should not be purchased if you want to get down range to 400. But then again, your using a Scout to 700. Viper is thinking about spending roughly 2k on this weapon- I think we should do him the service of being realistic- I know I would want the same with my hard earned money.
This was designed and marketed by SAI to be a CQB.

I am being realistic Beardboy.
The 16.25" barrel on the SOCOM is capable of good accuracy out beyond 400 yards
and the 18.0" barrel on a Bush/Scout/MK14 can accurately reach beyond 700 yards.

Viper, I prefer the 18.0" barrel, but the 16.25" will serve you well.
If $2K is your budget, I suggest a pre-owned SOCOM or
Scout with an UltiMAK M8 and a 2 MOA Comp ML3 from Aimpoint.
Use the factory low Aimpoint 30mm ring.

HTH.

Thanks Weirdbeard and everyone for the input i figured with the 1/10 twist that it probubly wouldnt reach to far. the only reason i was concedering it was because my cousin told me he could get one brand new for 1300 while he is a student at a gunsmithing school in Denver. He might be blowing smoke but if not i was thinking of trying to talk him into seling it to me for that price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viper4 8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i figured with the 1/10 twist that it probubly wouldnt reach to far. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1-10 probably aids the shorter barrel. </div></div>

A 1:10 ROT 4 groove barrel will aid in sending heavier 165, 175 and 180 grain projectiles longer distances accurately, but both the Scout and SOCOM are factory equipped with a 1:11 ROT 6 groove barrels better suited to lighter 147, 150 and 165 grain bullets.

Viper, save up your cash and wait for a local FTF deal to pop-up. Christmas is not far away and people will need cash...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Viper, save up your cash and wait for a local FTF deal to pop-up. Christmas is not far away and people will need cash... </div></div>

as sad as it is, ever mid to late Nov i make my best rifle and accessories purchases

I have SOCOM Scout with the 16" barrel, I shoot regularly out at 300 yards with good accuracy. That being said good consistant accuracy with my SOCOM is not the same as good accuracy with my 700. I get about 3" groups with it shooting off sand bags from the bench using Winchester 150gr FMJ at 300 yards. It is a hoot to shoot, goes bang good.

I swapped out the factory gaurd for an UltiMak, fit and finish is nice, but that sucker gets freakin hot. I tried the M68 on it and didn't like it, went with a Leupold IER.

Here is a good write up from Guns and Ammo:

http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/Short...With+An+Attitude

Tell the wife that you need a good ZOMBIE gun for when the end of the world comes, and rent "I am Legend." If that doesn't work, buy her something nice to offset it. I have been seeing the prices on these come down, and availabilty seems to be getting better.

I have a Socom 16. I scrapped the stock and dropped it into a Troy Chasis System. I have a nightforce 2.5-10x32 mounted on it. The Troy Chasis converts the ergonomics to that of an AR15 and also allows for mounting the scope towards the rear. If you use the standard stock you have to mount a scope or red dot sight that allows for an extended eye relief. In the Troy system I have shot groups at 100 yards that are under 1 minute using 168 SMK's. At 200 yards groups have been i the 2-3 minutes and at 300 yards things begin to grow to the 4 - 5 minute range. These groups were shot in the prone off bipod. Sniper rifle, no. DMR, possible. The rifle is dependable as hell and is a hoot to shoot but when it comes to accuracy, I'm sticking w/ my AI. Hope this helps, if you have any more ????'s drop me a line.

Here is a write up on the SOCOM II.

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory28.php]

I don't care for the mod-stock and rail system on the II, but
the article does point out the effective range of the SOCOM.

If you get the SOCOM and decide you want a modern stock, look no further than the TROY MCS.
I prefer 18.0" and 22.0" barreled actions in the SAGE EBR, but the stubby SOCOM is best in the TROY MCS.

One more thing you should know about the SOCOM, some of the XS front sights have cracked and fallen off.
Springfield will replace it with a new one under warranty.

SEI makes a SOCOM GLFS and muzzle device kit that allows you to use standard and NM front sights.
This is a excellent upgrade.

socom_kit.lg.jpg

"This gun has an effective range of 300 to 400 yards, perhaps more depending on the aiming device and the ability of the shooter. At the Scottsdale Gun Club, I conducted close-quarter combat drills consisting of quickly acquiring and shooting targets at ranges from three to 25 yards and found the SOCOM II to be fast, accurate and easy to aim."

No pissing match- this is a CQB period. If you want to hit a barn sized object at 400 yards can you? Yes. Viper asked about it's long range .... This is not the weapon for 400 yards even in a JAE or whatever you put it in. I own it, shoot it and don't grab it to go out to 400. If he wants that you are misleading him, period. "Effective range of 300-400 yards" is a MARKETING CLAIM. Even in your posted article he used it 25 yards for testing. This is not the Firing line forum. If you want to jump up and down about your socom- I suggest you do it there. At SNIPERS hide when some talks about accuracy- they back it up.

I disagree.

There are plenty of SOCOM owners that shoot effectively and accurately with optics out to 400 and 500 yards.
Is the SOCOM the ideal M1A for 400 and 500 yard shots? NO.
Can these shots be made with a SOCOM? YES.

Beard, if you have some personal problem with the SOCOM (and it sounds like you do)
I suggest you take it up with Springfield Armory, Inc.

Also, I have mislead no one here.
I clearly stated earlier... "I prefer the 18.0" barrel".

And... I don't think any M1A/M14 is a CQB weapon period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a good write up from Guns and Ammo:

http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/Short...With+An+Attitude

Tell the wife that you need a good ZOMBIE gun for when the end of the world comes, and rent "I am Legend." If that doesn't work, buy her something nice to offset it. I have been seeing the prices on these come down, and availabilty seems to be getting better. </div></div>

She might believe him until they watch the movie, he may have to go buy an AR after ends.

Done hijackin this poor guys thread, The only problem I have is with you being a tool.
The socom is a 16" with the brake. The crown is more like at 13. Long range weapon, um no. CQB, yes... as stated by springy. In your speak.... period. He can take any info he wants. Less jerkoffs like you on the forum would be better, but then again... I can think of no jerkoff's at the hide except for you at this point. Period.

Now go to the firing line, and talk about how your nm guide rod make you shoot 700 yards 2 moa w/ 15% wind at 120c.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

She might believe him until they watch the movie, he may have to go buy an AR after ends. </div></div>

Or a German Sheperd
cool.gif

iamlegend_l.jpg

It isn't designed for LR use but you can use it to shoot accurately out to certain distances...

ojgw1i.jpg

Mine hammers 8" silhouette targets all day at 600 yds on a GOOD day.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It isn't designed for LR use but you can use it shoot accurately out to certain distances...

ojgw1i.jpg

Mine hammers 8" silhouette targets all day at 600 yds on a GOOD day....... </div></div>

GTr, that's a sweet stick you have there.
Gen I or Gen II JAE?

I have a LRB in a JAE g2. Lisa was awesome, just a looong wait for mine, like 5 months.
Do you find yours as heavy? I would hate to hump that all day, it probably carries like a SAW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mine hammers 8" silhouette targets all day at 600 yds on a GOOD day....... </div></div>

confused.gif
600 yards with a SOCOM 16 ... but that's impossible...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It isn't designed for LR use but you can use it shoot accurately out to certain distances...

ojgw1i.jpg

Mine hammers 8" silhouette targets all day at 600 yds on a GOOD day.......</div></div>

My only problem with that is while its a killer setup, I made the same conversion and it turned my 9lb CQ rifle into a 15lb prone shooter. Sweet setup but very heavy.

No doubt about it, the JAE is heavy.

waterboy I would have pm'd you to tell you to fuck yourself, but you must get that so much, you don't accept pm's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

confused.gif
600 yards with a SOCOM 16 ... but that's impossible...</div></div>

Bull Shit it's impossible (No offense meant) but I've done it and have witnesses to it.....It's a Gen 2 BTW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It isn't designed for LR use but you can use it shoot accurately out to certain distances...

ojgw1i.jpg

Mine hammers 8" silhouette targets all day at 600 yds on a GOOD day.......</div></div>

My only problem with that is while its a killer setup, I made the same conversion and it turned my 9lb CQ rifle into a 15lb prone shooter. Sweet setup but very heavy.</div></div>

yea it's heavy as hell and sometimes I wish I had done more of a CQB style stock instead but I'll live with it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WeirdBeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a LRB in a JAE g2. Lisa was awesome, just a looong wait for mine, like 5 months.
Do you find yours as heavy? I would hate to hump that all day, it probably carries like a SAW.</div></div>

It's quite heavy but I'm a bigger built guy so it's not so bad but the JAE is definitely better suited to full sized M1A rifles...The JAE kind of defeats the purpose the SOCOM since it was supposed to be a "lighter" .308 run and gun assault rifle......

Among my small collection of things-that-go-bang, I've got a Springfield SocomII and two Scouts. All are capable of reasonable accuracy (mom) out to 550 yards, which is as far as I've taken them. The Scouts are obviously the more accurate of the two models.

To the original question, though, I personally think a 308-AR would be better suited for "long-range" accuracy and a decent 308 bolt-gun, better still. You'd have far more options with a 308-AR than you will with an M1A. But if I was set on getting an M1A, it would be a Scout.

On a side note, if the <span style="font-weight: bold">H2O MAN</span> on this board is the same one I've seen on other gun-boards, I believe he knows a thing or two about Springfield M1A/M14's. And he always seemed like genuinely nice guy to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Ill save my money, any tips on swaying the wife on new gun purchases"

add up how many purses and shoes she bought this year.... </div></div>

That will so backfire, never add up her shit, thats a pissing match the hubby never wins. By the gun, take her on a trip or buy her something nice, then slide it in that you bought a toy a few days later. Preferably after a SPA day for her. Got to work the set-up.

When I buy another gun I'm pretty much "F'ed" with the wife. I wait till we are going at it doggy style and then wrap one arm around her waist and put the other arm in the air. Then I tell her I just spent $1500, $2000....$8000 on a rifle and see how long I can hold on.

Tried both options in the past, didnt work out so well, but i learned never to try them again, its just not worth it. any other ideas.. besides devorce papers, lol

I have one for sale on thefiringline.com check it out and make me an offer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smudaaar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I buy another gun I'm pretty much "F'ed" with the wife. I wait till we are going at it doggy style and then wrap one arm around her waist and put the other arm in the air. Then I tell her I just spent $1500, $2000....$8000 on a rifle and see how long I can hold on. </div></div>

LMAO...........COWBOY UP..............Yee Haw!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a write up on the SOCOM II.

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory28.php]

I don't care for the mod-stock and rail system on the II, but
the article does point out the effective range of the SOCOM.

If you get the SOCOM and decide you want a modern stock, look no further than the TROY MCS.
I prefer 18.0" and 22.0" barreled actions in the SAGE EBR, but the stubby SOCOM is best in the TROY MCS.

One more thing you should know about the SOCOM, some of the XS front sights have cracked and fallen off.
Springfield will replace it with a new one under warranty.

SEI makes a SOCOM GLFS and muzzle device kit that allows you to use standard and NM front sights.
This is a excellent upgrade.

socom_kit.lg.jpg
</div></div>

You can also buy Smith's suppressor now that they are selling to civilians.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heycorey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

On a side note, if the <span style="font-weight: bold">H2O MAN</span> on this board is the same one I've seen on other gun-boards, I believe he knows a thing or two about Springfield M1A/M14's.
And he always seemed like genuinely nice guy to me. </div></div>

Thank you sir! I'm just sharing what I know to be true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You can also buy Smith's suppressor now that they are selling to civilians. </div></div>

Civilians can purchase the SEI suppressor from Fisher Enterprises, Inc.
The roll stamp will read Fisher instead of SEI, that's the only difference.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">...sorry to bring up an older thread but I had some input on the wife situation....

I just bought a new SOCOM16....and I LOVE it!

Don't expect minute of angle shooting, but will try to do so when I get it to the range...

That said, my advice from 16+ years of happy marriage...and more than a couple firearms purchased during this time...here is my technique.

I do not talk about my firearms much. I rarely show her new toys. Thus, while she is a decent shot, she isn't "into guns".

When she does see a new gun, or one she doesn't remember (meaning I just bought it....) I say, "What this? Don't you remember this rifle/shotgun/handgun? {...I laugh out loud...} Honey, your soooo cute. You shot this one last time we went to the range...don't you remember....you are funny.."

The follow-up is to be ultra confident and simply leave it at that, placing the rifle/shotgun/handgun into the safe or case...

Worked for me thus far!</span> </span> </span>