• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Springfield EMP feed issues

mark112278

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
Ft Worth, TX
I've got a Springfield EMP 9 that I've had some serious feed issues with. The FTF is more serious and more consistent 75% with Federal HST 147 +p loads, remington 124 gr +p and hornady 135 gr flex +p. FMJ rounds FTF about 30% of the time. Any ideas what could be going on, I've rebuilt all of my mags, replaced springs and followers.

Really...I'll call Customer Service on Monday, thats awesome. I did some more research and apparently there's some design issues with the EMP feed ramp and particularly when feeding HP ammo.

Feed issues with 1911's can also be associated with the extractor. I would check it for burrs and the feed ramp as well.

Send that puppy back to SA and let them fix it.

What exactly is the feed issue? Are the rounds getting stuck on the feed ramp, sticking on the top of the chamber, going in but not completely chambering, double feeding, of just not going all the way into battery?

I assume those are all JHPs. His does it feed FMJ?

Really...I'll call Customer Service on Monday, thats awesome. I did some more research and apparently there's some design issues with the EMP feed ramp and particularly when feeding HP ammo.

I've never heard that before. About 5% of the 7-8k rounds through my wife's EMP are Federal HPs and there are a lot of EMP owners on the 1911 forums that feed HPs reliably.

Last edited:
Of your FTF possibilities it's 2 of them, the rounds appear not to come all the way out of battery and sticking on the feed ramp. Many times simply pulling the slide back and letting it go again is enough to fully seat but sometimes its not enough. The HP ammo FTF about 75% of the time, the FMJ FTF is about 30% of the time.

Assuming its properly lubed and these are all factory rounds ...

- have you checked the extractor tension?
- how many rounds on the recoil springs?

Lastly, the EMP is sensitive to limp wristing. Are you sure you have a firm grip or has another experienced shooter had the same issue?

Springfield is awesome. That being said, those super short 1911's are know for these problems if they are not perfectly tuned. I know it's REDESIGNED. I watched a guy buy one and dump 400 or so rounds through 10 minutes after buying it. Ran great.

GOOD LUCK.

It's not a limp wrist, I've had 3 experienced shooters try it, we also checked the extractor. I'm calling Springfield monday and I'm going to send it to them and let them figure it out. I'm hoping that it will come back repaired, if not then i'll go from there.

The feed ramps are to steep in those guns for hp ammo my stepdad has one and I has shot it pretty extensively they made the gun so small they had no room to angle the feed ramp enough. You can use like a power ball they fed around 98 -99% in my experience with his.

I shoot jhp with no issues mostly Montana Gold. Call Springfield

I think the earlier EMPs SN <2600 had ftf issues having to do with feed ramp angles. My wife's emp has similar problems. This post reminds me to call SA after the holidays to arrange repair. Haven't addressed the issue for years as the gun rarely gets used. I do recall that HP were worse than FMJ. In 9mm, I use 147 HP xtp and 115 fmj whatever is available.