• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Springfield Hi-Power clone?

Powder_Burns

Shoutbox Veteran
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2009
    Colorado
    Anyone play with one of these yet? Always wanted a hi-power but browning discontinued production before I got around to buying one.

I have wanted a pair of Springfield TRPs for awhile now - I won't buy them until I can buy both I want at the same time, and I just don't have the money to waste these days. But that Hi-Power is right bro. I would love one. And it looks to be pretty affordable at $699 MSRP ... What does that make it , $550 or so online? A Springfield Armory-made Browning Hi Power For $550 is just sweet.

LOL at pistol-forum with all the retards there bloviating about subcontracted parts, heat treat, casting vs forging, Trukey vs USA manufacture

They are pathetically comical to people who actually make their living in such things.....

Very cool - much happier to see this than yet some other variation of a subcompact polymer gun.

Don't really give a fuck as to the method used to manufacture the components, as long as it works properly. I would prefer to see it built in the US using domestic parts, but for $699, I don't believe this is a reasonable expectation.

It will be amusing to watch the first examples on Gunbroker get bid up to a price that would buy the real thing.

This is a quote copied from springfields website. “Made in the U.S.A., the SA-35 features rugged forged steel parts for strength and durability,....”
    I’m gonna say it’s a classic.
    No matter what though, it is a nice looking gun!

Reactions: Ser Arthur Dayne
    "Don't really give a fuck as to the method used to manufacture the components, as long as it works properly. I would prefer to see it built in the US using domestic parts, but for $699"

Built in America by union employees almost guaranties it will be an overpriced piece of shit.

"Don't really give a fuck as to the method used to manufacture the components, as long as it works properly. I would prefer to see it built in the US using domestic parts, but for $699"

Built in America by union employees almost guaranties it will be an overpriced piece of shit.

Let's hope they leave the union out of it then.

Realistically, a good engineer with good fixture designs and cam work, should be able to eliminate most of the union labor.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Let's hope they leave the union out of it then.

Realistically, a good engineer with good fixture designs and cam work, should be able to eliminate most of the union labor.

Union labor isn't all the same. Unions in mfg companies don't have anything to do with providing a trained workforce. Absolutely nothing.

It's not at all like what trade unions do.

I will be watching for one to fondle.
    Not that I need another Hi Power, but you know.... I’m weak that way and may not be able to stop myself.

• Haha
    Reactions: r.tenorio671
    Brownells listed them at $679. They should be able to do better than $20 off of MSRP.
    I'm considering one if the price is right.
    Good looking gun and something aittle different.

Springfield’s webpage layout seems to hint at different variants being offered at some point or their web designer is just lazy. Handgun supply at my local shops is still very low and I’d be surprised to get one at or under msrp, so the jury is still out for me on this particular model. Waiting with bated breath for range reports and whether SA has some different models in store for consumers or not. Lets not turn this into a union thread, there’s enough of those already.

I bought my 1st FN Hi Power in 1970 - it was a WWII era model that someone had done a good job of polishing & reblueing, and came in its original military holster with the spare mag in an attached pouch. It also came with a Safariland scabbard holster with black basketweave finish. This old pistol was 100% reliable, the only downsides being that it had a pitted bore from firing corrosive primed ammo, and the sights were a tiny rounded front and small fixed blade rear. But hey - I was only 19 at the time, and still had excellent vision. This was the 1st CF handgun I'd owned, and I eventually traded it back to the same dealer who'd sold it to me for a nice 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk in 357 Mag, which I still own. Since then, I've owned several other Hi Powers, including one of the Hungarian-made FEG Hi Power clones, which was also a 100% reliable pistol, even if the safety was so stiff that I tore the nail on my thumb nearly off trying to operate it. There have been other Hi Powers, including six of the Israeli police trade-in pistols that an importer was selling on GB a few years ago. I've blasted & CeraKoted a couple of these old pistols, and milled Novak sights into the slides on most of them.

I like the looks of the new SA version of the Hi Power, and once the feeding frenzy for them dies down, will probably look around for one at one of the wholesale outlets I have accounts with.

...I look forward to them becoming widely available and if possible, getting one. I started out my pistol journey with a S&W 559 but switched over to a Colt 70 series in .45ACP only to make major in my local shooting club, been enamored with 1911's since. The only pistol that rivaled my 1911 lust was the HP after having handled/shot a Belgian FN-HP and one of the Utah produced ones. Just something about the 1911 grip angle that suits me the best. Never felt comfortable with the issue M9's ergonomics after the switch over. I'm also hoping that the sight dove tails aren't proprietary, I most likely would eventually change them out if needed. Curious if they will be offering slide cuts for RDS down the road...

I’m so glad Springfield announced this, and only released like 10 of them. Cunts!

Will have one next week. $899.71 out the door. Gotta love the $100 mark up and $100 of taxes, lol.

• Wow
    Fuck that! For that price I can get a NOS NIB Hi-Power with polished bluing and a box of 100 primers.

It's going to be fun watching the prices people pay for them. I'll wait for the second wave. I waited long enough to get an SP5 at msrp so I'm good.

It's going to be fun watching the prices people pay for them. I'll wait for the second wave. I waited long enough to get an SP5 at msrp so I'm good.
    I didn’t feel like waiting to save $200. I want to have 4 of them for customizing, and this gives me the opportunity to wring one out to see if it’s worthwhile.

You can’t get that experience from all of the mouth breathing gun rags/blogs who only test at 7 yards.

I didn’t feel like waiting to save $200. I want to have 4 of them for customizing, and this gives me the opportunity to wring one out to see if it’s worthwhile.

You can’t get that experience from all of the mouth breathing gun rags/blogs who only test at 7 yards.

Haha, hey to each their own. I have mine secured already thanks to a buddy. $200 isn't bad at all, I'm thinking you'll see people pay double to triple.

Looking at close up photos of my pistol, you can see a shitload of money was saved with the flat blue. Just bead blast and dunk in the blueing tank. Heavy machine marks on the trigger and magazine release.

Other than that, it looks pretty good in the pictures.

Looking at close up photos of my pistol, you can see a shitload of money was saved with the flat blue. Just bead blast and dunk in the blueing tank. Heavy machine marks on the trigger and magazine release.

Other than that, it looks pretty good in the pictures.

Let us know how she shoots. Sounds like you'll get yours before I get mine.

I have it in hand, must say it is quite nice. Nicely machined and put together. Trigger is pretty good and I don’t plan on doing anything to it at this time.

Shooting will come next week, hopefully.

Fit is good. Finish not so much. Matte finish and grips were a disappointment.
    Trigger was better than average.
    I passed.

The grips are dry as a bone. Reminds me of Colt one piece grips on their premium SAA. Just bone dry.

The matte bluing is nice and even. Once I wear a bit off I’ll get it hard chromed and add a Gold line front sight.

Interesting blurb from the manual: “ Note: Field stripping procedures on the SA-35 are the same regardless of caliber.”

I do not believe the front strap is thick enough for checkering. Interior is also nicely machined. The only machine marks visible are on the right side of the trigger, and on the magazine release.

Slide to frame fit is quite good.

Barrel is fit well.

Safety is well fitted and feels very good.

For the $870 I paid, I find it to be worth it at this time. For $699 it’s a damn steal. Buy 5 of them.

Of course the real determination will be after shooting, but right now there are no flies on this one.

584F32F7-EF42-43E0-A146-FA2BEF96B4C4.jpeg

Apparently at least one has had an issue.
    The channel for the retaining plate isn't in spec..
    Need a fatter retaining plate.

Last edited:
    Most production 1911’s and Hi-Powers have slop in the firing pin stops. Aftermarket ones are available for fitting.

Just got back from the range with mine. Fired 150 rds to test for function. No failures with any magazines, good trigger reset on rapid fire.

Average for 10 shot groups from a rest at 15 yards was a little over 1 1/2 inches. 5 groups were fired.

Ammo used was Winchester 124 gr NATO, which is what I use to test all 9mm handguns.

Should be able to get to my 25 and 50 yard ranges some time later this month. If it’ll hold 3.5 or under at 25 and under 7 inches at 50 then I’ll be more than happy. Might tune a load for it later on down the road.

I will be changing out the gay ass tactical ninja u notch rear sight for a square notch ASAP!

Have it apart for a good cleaning. No weird wear patterns from firing.

Barrel chamber is nicely cut with a correct lead. Should have no issues feeding heavy bullets with a fat ogive. Will try it out with some semi-wad cutters and hollow points next.

Thanks for the updates; please keep them coming. Please let us know which rear sight you end up using. I'm also not a fan of the U notch, though I could likely live with it since otherwise I really like the higher profile sights, and the lack of white dots on the rear sight. I'm on the fence about the squared off ledge for one-handed racking. I have used that feature at schools for one-handed only shooting, but I don't love it aesthetically.
    I will be changing out the gay ass tactical ninja u notch rear sight for a square notch ASAP!

Lol. @pmclaine will unfriend me for this, I am sure. However, I’ve always preferred True Oil, or Polyurethane over BLO. I like to build a nice, protective finish with high gloss.
    Same here.

Thinned polyurethane penetrates and preserves like few others do. And there's ways to cut the shine down too, which I like.

Some furniture projects I've used polyurethane on have gotten a yellow haze in the finish (after a number of years). Is there a way to prevent this? Too thick an application, maybe?

Some furniture projects I've used polyurethane on have gotten a yellow haze in the finish (after a number of years). Is there a way to prevent this? Too thick an application, maybe?

I think that is the nature of the beast.

Anything I have polyurethaned has yellowed over time.

Some times its appreciated if you want that "warm tone" sometimes its not.

Other with better knowledge will correct if I am in error.

Reactions: skl1

Was the finish on or in the wood?