• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Springfield Loaded Feeding issues

Quackaddict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Minnesota
Hey guys, picked up a new Springfield Loaded Target a couple weeks back, I am getting occasional hangups as the round enters the chamber and I need a direction on where to go with it.

Now to detail the conditions. Gun has about 110 rounds through it, some winchester 230grn FMJ and some handloads I am producing. Those consist of the following, Once fired brass, 6.5grns power pistol, and a 185hbrn loaded to 1.215. That load shoots well in a couple other 1911's I have fired and used.

There is no ryhme or reason to the hangs, no specific round count coming out of the factory magazines, when one hangs you simply eject it out and reload it and it cycles fine. It hung once with a win factory load and twice with my handloads.

I understand this is a very low round count gun and the break in process is still in its infancy. Should I adjust anything in regards to the handloads or the gun or do I just shoot the thing until I get to 5-600 rounds? My research hasnt revealed any surefire solution.

Thoughts anyone?

Re: Springfield Loaded Feeding issues

field strip the gun, now with the slide (minus barrel and bushing and all that noise) slide a round from the bottom side underneath the extractor, it should go in smooth without a significant amount of force, then with the round under the extractor it should be held in place firmly. You should be able to turn the slide upside down and whichever way you want and it should not fall out.

Are the rounds that are hanging up in any particular place in the magazine stack? ie....first round, third round, or completely random?

My guess is on the extractor though.

Deadly, I just field stripped the gun and did what you said, it appears (with me not knowing what correct looks like) that the extractor does what you said it should, it takes no effort to put a round in it, and it hold it there in any position. There is a gap when you put the the round in the extractor, the bullet hangs there but is not held tight at all.

The hangs are random, no specific position in the magazines.

My guess would be that some of the ammo you are shooting is not agreeing with your chamber. Could be long, not sized enough, or the bullet profile isn't agreeing with your feed ramp.

If it were mine, I would get some decent FMJ ammo and shoot about 350-500 rounds and then see where the issues are. Also, try a Wilson or McCormick mag and see what that does.

Have a Wilson mag I will try, if that clears it up I will switch over, otherwise I can shorten the rounds.

What do you mean by not sized enough? It didn't look like the sizing die had adjustment in it...

try the tripp research mags available in the group buy. they work much better than the wilson 47Ds i have.

If it's still doing it after break-in, call Springfield. They'll pay shipping both ways and make it right, quickly.

I have a parked loaded that is doing pretty much the same as yours with the added benefit of failing to eject on some rounds as well. I'm using 230gr ball ammo and have tried several different brands with the same result. It has about 300 rounds through it so far and the problem doesn't seem to be letting up.
50 rounds yesterday with 2 FTF and 4 FTE.

I will probably give it one more chance at the range and then I am calling Springfield.

I have a GI .45 stainless that was having extraction issues.

Just call Springfield, they have the best customer service in the industry in my opinion. They will pay shipping both ways and will take care of every concern you have with the weapon. My GI came back completely re-finished, with a new extractor and match grade barrel because I was not happy with the fit and finish of the barrel from the factory.

Screw seeing if it still happens after break in, a quality piece should work properly out of the box.

If its not the extractor send it back. SA's CS is exceptional. I have a used operator and the owner said it had feeding issues initially but after the extractor was tuned its been great. Ive shot 550 rounds through it so far, 0 malfunctions, 200 grain lead ball handloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baddoggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try the tripp research mags available in the group buy. they work much better than the wilson 47Ds i have. </div></div>

+1^^^^

Try a few other mag brands as well. 1911's are very ammo and/or magazine picky, even within the same brand and model. I don't have any SA mags, but <span style="font-style: italic">usually</span> mfg. mags work best: i.e. Colt mags in Colts, Kimber mags in Kimbers, SA mags in SAs.

Try:
First - Tripp Research
*Kim-Pro-Tac mags(2nd best in my opinion)
-Nighthawk Custom/ACT or just ACT
-Chip McCormick (these have worked in EVERY 1911 I've had, just DON'T use them on aluminum frames)
-MecGar

-Wilson Combat - doesn't hurt to try, but I'm not a fan of these mags, even though not one has ever given me a problem. And for what they cost, buy Tripp for roughly the same $$.

**(With new mags)Try instead of using your handloads:
-180-185 grain HP's from Hornady, Corbon, Speer, and a couple other brands first. If no problems there, then try your handloads.

New Kimbers usually have these problems, and once they get past 200-300 rds <span style="font-style: italic">usually</span> smooth out. It seems these tight toleranced 1911's these days are better smoothed out at a custom 'smith's bench instead of an assembly line......'Course every gunmaker is runnin' Full Steam Ahead right now.....

Well it is on the way back to Springfield. I figured I had wasted enough ammo on it at this point and I am ready for it to shoot correctly.

On a side note, the CS at Springfield really does live up to the hype. Very nice, sent fed ex label, apologetic for the problem, etc. It's great that they actually try to make the best of the situation.

Think I have probably figured out this particular gun, had been running 6.5 grains of power pistol and would get periodic jams, this saturday started out with the same bullshit.

I loaded 50 rounds of 7.0 PP and the issues completlety went away, only had one hang off the top of the mag caused by me not seating the bullet correctly in the mag.

Thank you all!

Do the issues occur with factory ammo? If not, shoot that and if you get no hangups or malfunctions then you can rule that your reloads are what are hanging the gun up

We had one hang with a 230grn Win FMJ, none have jammed since.

Im always one to blame my reloads before anything else for a given problem. That is why I started messing with the powder charge.