• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Springfield Loaded need new grips...

Re: Springfield Loaded need new grips...

I've handled a good number- and the cheap Hogue wraparounds feel the best on my Loaded. YMMV, it seems everyone loves them or hates them.

I have the Pachmayer wrap around grips and really like them. Had to file a notch for the ambi safety though, but no big deal.

My SS Loaded is wearing black gunner grips, made by Strider Knives. They are the best I've used so far, excellent grip surface. I ordered them from brownells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalmlyDeMented</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My SS Loaded is wearing black gunner grips, made by Strider Knives. They are the best I've used so far, excellent grip surface. I ordered them from brownells. </div></div>

+1, I have gunner-grips on every 1911 I own.

I like the Pachmayers with the steel backer plates. Saved a friend's hand once when a case ruptured.

Greg

I have a set of ERGO GRIPS on mine the feel great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalmlyDeMented</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My SS Loaded is wearing black gunner grips, made by Strider Knives. They are the best I've used so far, excellent grip surface. I ordered them from brownells. </div></div>

+1, I have gunner-grips on every 1911 I own. </div></div>

++1 on Gunner Grips! The best!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buggsb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalmlyDeMented</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My SS Loaded is wearing black gunner grips, made by Strider Knives. They are the best I've used so far, excellent grip surface. I ordered them from brownells. </div></div>

+1, I have gunner-grips on every 1911 I own. </div></div>

++1 on Gunner Grips! The best!! </div></div>

I guess I should have qualified that though. Gunner Grips are very sharp right from the package and thus offer tremendous grip. They can be easily "softened" with a little sandpaper to knock the points down if need be. If you have really soft hands though and are looking for "cushy" grips, then they may not be for you.

I went with the carbon fiber grips for my TRP. Really look nice and feel secure.

Cut

Pachmayr "Colt 1911 Combat", the plain, flat version with the mainspring housing pin cut-out but <span style="font-weight: bold">without</span> the swells and frontstrap extension over the magazine lip of some models. Has worked for me for 30+ years, first on duty 1911s, my off-duty Commander, GC, and later Officer's Model. Even put 'em on both my LW and Match Springers.

Original Pachmayr Combats were plain, the versions you buy now have the medallion. NBD, I've got both, it really makes no difference. The similarity of the Pachmayr rubber panels to stock grips combined with the just tacky enough feel of the rubber and most importantly, for me anyway, the frontstrap checkering are what floats my boat.

Some folks don't like the "cling" of rubber grips to clothing, I haven't found it to be an issue, besides, I really like the poor man's frontstrap checkering...Did I mention I like frontstrap checkering?

My Kimbers on the other hand, have the frontstraps checkered, so I've put Pearce Double Diamond rubber (about like the above Pachmayrs without the frontstrap) grips on the Eclipse and Navidrex "Custom" Double Diamond black Micarta grips on the TLE/RL. The frontstrap checkering makes all the difference in the world (yea I know, I mentioned that
crazy.gif
) so any checkered grips would do, including the factory. Up front, these grips are nothing but for looks, I like the Double Diamond pattern
grin.gif

Some folks don't like the "Gunner" grips because they're really rough on hands not accustomed to rough work. I found them to be excellent, couldn't pull the gun out of my hands. But since I do a short shift on a reload to reach the mag release, they hung up more than I wanted, especially on my flight gloves. And no, that's not an effort to break 1 second on a "speed" reload in front of an El Presidente. I just want my "Magazine Exchanges" and yes, "Slide Lock" reloads to be smooth. Thought about knocking the rough down a bit as suggested, but I figured that'd make 'em no better than the 18LPI checkered grips they were to replace.

Some folks need thinner, some prefer thicker and some like the metal plate embedded in Pachmayers, "just in case".

That's what works for me and my 1911s anyway, but YMMV...

WADR, all our suggestions are nothing but personal preference, individual "enhancements" to "shoot better", "handle better", "conceal better" or OMG "look better" and we all justify them in our own ways.

Like anything else, check several sets for yourself, you're the only one who matters...

I'd suggest the best thing to do, if you haven't done it already, is shoot the shit out of it as is, first and foremost, then "upgrade" as <span style="font-weight: bold">you</span> see fit.

Just another (overly long as it is) opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it
wink.gif
grin.gif