• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield M1A

allen200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2012
Southeast Louisiana
Just wanted to share my excitement. I picked up a m1a standard this weekend, been eyeing them for years. All i can say is wow i should have got one years ago. It feels rock solid and is really fun to shoot. This one will prolly stay traditional but i could see a build in the future i've seen some really nice fixed up ones on here. One thing i would like to ask about is what are the go to mags and what ones to stay away from. Thanks in advance.

Re: Springfield M1A

Congrats. I love my m1a.

Check mate industries make the best mags. Mine are all cmi and have functioned 100%. I have 10, 20 an 25 rds mags.

I stuck with factory springfield mags with good results - but generally an empty wallet. Those suckers were expensive but I had zero problems.

As for the rifle, keep it stock
smile.gif
It's a great looking gun on its own. Something about walnut and park just looks good.

thanks for the replies, i'm definately going to pick up another factory mag. and i'll check out the cmi. i had seen the promag but kinda skeptical on those.

CMI makes SA Inc's mags, so save the cash and get the CMI's. 44mag.com is the best place to buy them from.

ive had issues with the promags in the past, particularly with the lips folding in over the follower

44 mag website. Has the best prices between 25 and 27 discounts if you buy 10 or more... Checkmate industries makes the Springfield m1a mags and has the current military contract..
If you need 20 rd mags and are in a non ban state I may have a few as new or new non leo marked.. to trade for 10or 5 rd as I am in a ban state..or may sell outright so I can get what I need

Pm if interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for the rifle, <span style="font-weight: bold">keep it stock</span> It's a great looking gun on its own. Something about walnut and park just looks good.</div></div>

Amen to that.

As to magazines, I only use USGI, never had one fail me. So as to others I can't offer any advise.

But to help you on your way, and to provide a bit of Karma on this 11th anniversity of 9-11, PM me with your address and I'll send you a USGI M14 mag. Used but still works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for the rifle, <span style="font-weight: bold">keep it stock</span> It's a great looking gun on its own. Something about walnut and park just looks good.</div></div>

Amen to that.

As to magazines, I only use USGI, never had one fail me. So as to others I can't offer any advise.

But to help you on your way, and to provide a bit of Karma on this 11th anniversity of 9-11, PM me with your address and I'll send you a USGI M14 mag. Used but still works.

</div></div>
Thank you sir that is very generous pm sent

Just wondering what kind of accuracy you are seeing? I have an M1A National Match and can't seem to get better than about 1MOA-1.3MOA at 100 yds even with 168gr GMM match ammo. I have also tried Hornady and Black Hills 168gr match ammo. With ammo from an M-60 belt it was about a 6" group at 100yds.
frown.gif
This has pretty much been a safe queen with about 300-400 rounds through it in 12 years... I have always been a little discouraged after shooting it. I have more fun shooting 10 shot groups @ 50 yds that will fit under a dime using my 10/22...

I've only put 40rds of the cheap win 147's through it so far and was getting bout 2-2.5" with a few 3.5 -4" flyers. I picked up a few different brands to try out and should have a range report within the next few days

If you guys plan on sticking with the standard Ball FMJ stuff, you need to be aware that 2-3 MOA is about all you can reasonably expect, even out of a very accurate Match conditioned gun. This stuff is made for high volume firing, not precision. If you can get a hold of some M118, M118LR or some other type of true Match ammo, you'll get a better idea of the rifle's true capabilities.

I had a Devine,TX SA National Match since the early 70's. I have usually shot 1 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards. sometimes smaller but not by much. I also used 168 gr SMK's

Just got back from the gun show with two mags, sling, buttstock cleaning kit, some m118 long range and fgmm 168g. I am thouroughly pleased with my groups so far as i didnt buy this rifle to be a tack driver but a hell of a fun shooter. Gonna nick name it Galleger for all the melons its gonna bust lol.