• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Springfield MC operator

Joel Danielson

Green Manalishi
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2012
wondering
Looking at picking one of these up in 45 acp. Does anyone have info from personal use of this pistol? Also interested in hearing if you use it with the factory pachmayr grips, or went to something else?

Reactions: clcustom1911
Not sure if its applicable, but I have the TRP version and even though mine is a bit of safe queen, I really like it.

Pro's:
Its reliable, and accurate with every type of ammo I've thrown at it.
The slide/lockup is tightly fitted.
Factory Trigger is crisp and light with a good reset.
I personally really like the grips that came on the TRP from the Factory.
(But I dont think they're Pachmayr. They are very similar to -if not actually- VZ G10 grips.)

Con's:
The Springfield Operators are big and heavy even by 1911 standards, it's not a gun I CC.
It may not be legal in USPSA Single Stack (if that's a consideration for you).

Last edited:
Reactions: WT1
Just saw one on Sat with OD green frame, black slide, for $799........

Looked to be in darn good condition.
didnt give it a good lookover as I am set On 1911’s for the moment (Or so I think).....

Not sure if its applicable, but I have the TRP version and even though mine is a bit of safe queen, I really like it.

Pro's:
Its reliable, and accurate with every type of ammo I've thrown at it.
The slide/lockup is tightly fitted.
Factory Trigger is crisp and light with a good reset.
I personally really like the grips that came on the TRP from the Factory.
(But I dont think they're Pachmayr. They are very similar to -if not actually- VZ G10 grips.)

Con's:
The Springfield Operators are big and heavy even by 1911 standards, it's not a gun I CC.

It may not be legal in USPSA Single Stack (if that's a consideration for you).
I am looking at the TRP as well. Being an old jarhead, it is kinda hard not to go down the MC route...:rolleyes:
This isn't for carry, just want a good reliable 45. I haven't had one since I got out in 76. Was 0331, so that is what I had issued while in.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Ranchhand and WT1

didnt give it a good lookover as I am set On 1911’s for the moment (Or so I think).....
I suppose this was out in your neck of the woods? Have a BIL in the springs that I could send up there to buy if it is.

it is.
Well shit, I have to work till past their closiNg time today. Can run down when they open tomorrow and take a peak.

Im no expert, but pretty damn good with details and have owned a good number of 1911s and know what to look for to see if its worth his time.
shop guys know me by name, so they will be cool if I take a detailed look.
Lemme know. Can take pics and Text as well.

elija

Reactions: SandFam3
it is.
Well shit, I have to work till past their closiNg time today. Can run down when they open tomorrow and take a peak.

Im no expert, but pretty damn good with details and have owned a good number of 1911s and know what to look for to see if its worth his time.
shop guys know me by name, so they will be cool if I take a detailed look.
Lemme know. Can take pics and Text as well.

elija
sending you a pm

That’s a good price! If you think long enough it may find it’s way into your safe. :)

I’ve had an MC Operator for about ten years. It’s been very reliable. The only time I’ve had issues with malfunctions was when I tried using semi wadcutters. The first batch was loaded slightly long and they would fail to feed

With alumagrips with a techwell magwell it makes weight for USPSA. When I was using it for competitions, I couldn’t blame the gun for my bad scores.

Thats a really good price however i would save up a bit more and buy a dan wesson. Just all around better built guns.

I’ve had an MC Operator for about ten years. It’s been very reliable. The only time I’ve had issues with malfunctions was when I tried using semi wadcutters. The first batch was loaded slightly long and they would fail to feed

With alumagrips with a techwell magwell it makes weight for USPSA. When I was using it for competitions, I couldn’t blame the gun for my bad scores.
[/QUOTE
Nice. How'd you get Alumagrips with Techwell inlets? I don't see them at their web site.

I carried an Operator for years. Fantastic pistol. More accurate than I could shoot. I switched the factory rubber gips for G10 grips and I personally did 20 LPI checkering on the front strap, and put in a EGW magwell/mainspring housing in there to make mag changes easier.

You could also do a Smith and Alexander one-piece mainspring housing. Good gear as well.

Last edited:
If you wanna go deep down the rabbit hole of 1911's go to 1911forum.com

Thats where I used to stomp around when I was really into 1911's

Techwellusa has the aluminum grips or g10 grips that are slotted to take their magwells.

I usually use bowling rosin when I shoot a match for extra grip. I’m probably going to switch to g10 though.
Yeah I had different grips for different uses too. I had really aggressive grips for duty because I needed to have 100% solid grip for a handful of rounds if the need did arise. But for high round count classes I went to checkered rosewood. Still good grip, but didn't destroy my hands after a 400-500 shot day.

I've never been a fan of aluminum grips. They are grippy, but can get slippery still if you sweat a lot in your palms.
Haven't picked them up yet but had the same thoughts about the smooth aluminum grips that Techwell, Hogue, and a couple of others offer. Maybe have your frame knurled on the front for a better grip if it isn't already.

My dad has one that I have shot quite a bit. It’s a very nice out of the box 1911. Smooth, reliable, and accurate. I personally prefer 2011’s in 9mm but would consider picking up the Operator if I came across a good deal on one.

My dad has one that I have shot quite a bit. It’s a very nice out of the box 1911. Smooth, reliable, and accurate. I personally prefer 2011’s in 9mm but would consider picking up the Operator if I came across a good deal on one.
I'm in the same boat. I sold my 1911's a while back, but miss them. Might pick up an Operator again if a deal pops up as well.

I have owned two, if I owned a 1911 it would be this, or a usgi.

I prefer the older model with smooth front strap the new o w is scalloped. I used the pachmyers or generic G10 with a semi aggressive pattern. They are heavy unless riles changed also too heavy for IDPA.

I have had my Springfield MC Operator for about 5 years and i shoot it regularly. Never had any issue other than cheap steel mags my gun doesn’t like but the factory mags Wilson combat or chip M mags it runs fine.

Attachments

• FD27E14C-1509-42B8-B7BC-9C18A84A70B7.png
    FD27E14C-1509-42B8-B7BC-9C18A84A70B7.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 41
I have had my Springfield MC Operator for about 5 years and i shoot it regularly. Never had any issue other than cheap steel mags my gun doesn’t like but the factory mags Wilson combat or chip M mags it runs fine.
Yup, cheap mags will fuck an otherwise good 1911 and make it seem like the gun is the issue.

I used Wilson 47DCB and Tripp mags.

I’ve had mine for about 3 years now and haven’t had one problem with it after thousands of rounds. Trigger pulls nice and it’s accurate. I’d say go for it

I have had mine since around 08 great gun. The sights died and had to replace them 2 weeks ago.

I believe the new MC operator has g10 grips instead of the pachmyer like the older ones. I have a long beach operator which is basically the same pistol and it has been 100% since day one. I mean not 1 issue with reliability and I shoot it in IDPA and USPSA so it has a few rounds on it.

I also have a LBO. Never had a hiccup. Cheap ball to hollow points. I’ve read that the TRP is a slight step up from MC/LBO, but aside from front strap checkering, I’d love to know how.

I also have a LBO. Never had a hiccup. Cheap ball to hollow points. I’ve read that the TRP is a slight step up from MC/LBO, but aside from front strap checkering, I’d love to know how.
Far as I can tell the checkering, 1 piece guide rod, bushingless barrel, couple more sight configuration options. I would love to pick up a full rail trp though.