• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes springfield scope

AR JUNKIE

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2009
I have a AR10 and i looking at a springfield scope with the 308 yardadge drop. i read somewere that they were set for 168 grain bullet. I want to know if it will work with a 147 grain bullet the same? I am just getting into long range shooting and was wanting to do it right the first time. I done some searhes and havent came up with nothing. I think i put this in the right forum if not will someone move it for me Thanks......

Re: springfield scope

A quick search for you turned 3 pages up.... It will hopefully enlighten you as to why you shouldn't buy the scope.

That said, if the scope is set up for 168's, then no, it won't work with the 147's. The trajectory will be different

I had one on my 700. The BDC worked great out to 500m with 168's. Sold it, the scope is huge. 56mm obj was to big. Went with a Leupold MK IV and been happy ever after. I dont think that the springfield Scope is even made any more. Also it was not made in the USA.

The BDC is only for the weight specified and at the mil-spec velocity.
The scope is a Japan Optics scope on par with Nikon and branded with Springfield Armory. They had a great warranty and pretty good customer service. The scopes were hit or miss. I had one for 8 years and used it hard and it was a great scope. I heard of others who had problems with tracking and zero shifts. You don't need an objective lens bigger than 45mm or so. Look around and find a mil reticle scope that adjusts in 1/10mil (or 1cm /100meter) and go for that.

If you're getting into long-range shooting, then you don't want to be firing the 147 grain bullets anyway. They have a low B.C., and are not meant to be used at long distance.

Any BDC is only accurate at one muzzle velocity in a specific set of atmospheric conditions. BDCs can be handy for short and medium range shots. For true long distance - beyond 700 yards - you need more specific dope.

I have had the 4-14x56 (did not follow ballistics after 700yds, 168bthp (could not push 168's fast enough, i tried)

Spingfield traded me for 6-24x56 mildot strait up.

6x goes to 700yds, had one for a while never spent much time seeing if the ballistic worked but it is a nice scope for a fixxed 6

figure it would be a great hunting scope or oldschool on an old Enfield 308 or M1A1, FNFAL, Cetme

Got a Springfield second generation 4-14x56 on my AR 10, went back for repairs one time, been good since, think four years now. Am thinking about trading or selling since I have a NF on other AR.
Make offer????

I have a armalite ar10 with 16 in. barrel with 1000 rounds of winchester 147 grain fmj ammo. What i would like to do with this rifle is to deer and elk hunt and long range shooting. I have 30-06 rifle and shoot it up to 300 yards. I have always liked the ar10's and finally got one. I have searched a lot on the net and found sniper hide forum and have been reading a lot on here. I know you cant just buy a rifle and scope andjust become a long range shooter it takes a lot of time and shooting to learn. There is not nobody around where i live that shoots over 300 yards to help me get started. I have already started to get relaoding equipment to do 308 so that i can match load my ammo. Can i start out with the 147 grain ammo till i get better shooting to 700 yards maybe and reload with 168 grain then.
What scope would you all recommend i get to put on this rifle and when i get some time in and learn then upgrade the barrel and a better scope to shoot longer ranges.
Thanks for all the info you all have gave me..

Don't waist your money! The Springfield scopes look cool and are huge but not worth the money or problems you will face later. A scope to look into without paying up the ass for is a cheaper yet better scope than even leupold. I used to own a nightforce then sold it and picked up a sightron SIII 6-20x50. They are great and cheaper than most. I would rank these scopes as good as nightforce. They have a mil dot retical. Check them out you will love them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That said, if the scope is set up for 168's, then no, it won't work with the 147's. The trajectory will be different
</div></div>

I challenge you to run the ballistics on that.

Sierra III and my own experience showed that my 45.5 748 loads with Winchester 147-gr FMJBTs (a reliable 2 MOA load for very cheap), and my 43.0 748 load with any flavor of 168 HPBTs, tracked trajectories within .75 MOA of each other out to at least 600 yards. Lower BC + enough speed = similar trajectory.

Wind was a different matter, of course.

The speeds were something like 2580 with the 168s, and 2750 with the 147s, measured at 10 feet. IIRC. I haven't looked at it for a while, not wanting to deal with the temp/velocity curve of 748. Stuff metered like dream and my Dillon-produced ammo with thrown charges was reliably 1 MOA or less until the barrel faded out. This was with an M1A.

They might be close but not precise. When shooting farther than 300 yards you will notice a diffrence. You are right on being comparible but not perfect. I think the scope is a bad choice personaly. Go with mil dots nothing to busy.

I shoot a DPMS SASS with a 18" Fluted Bull Barrel toped with a Sightron III scope and On a calm morning I am hitting the 12x12 steel at 800 yrds out to 1200. The Sightrons even come with a ballistic chart for almost all ammo with the amount of clicks to raise depending on your zero. You can even get the chart on their web site. I had my gun Durcoated which is also a must have in my opion.