• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Springfield TRP 1911 vs Springfield FBI Version

GySgtMUSMC

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
NC
Anybody shot both? Any huge $1000 difference in feel and handling? I have the TRP and absolutely love it. The trigger is great and I can put groups together with relative ease. Just wondering how much better it could actually get. I know there are some different internals.

Re: Springfield TRP 1911 vs Springfield FBI Version

TRP is a mass produced pistol, the FBI pistol is hand made, hand fitted, and is made in the USA, is it worth much o more, I don't know.

I've tried both. The Pro feels smoother when you rack the slide. Also, over 1000 rounds in each, I didn't have any jam in the Pro, but did experience 2 failure to fully return to battery on the TRP. Also, the TRP seems to have some sharp spots here and there while the Pro was noticeably absent of these sharp edges.

Would I personally pay the price difference? Absolutely.

Depends on what you want and how much money you're willing to pay. I have owned and own pistols worth more than the Pro but the difference in performance between the TRP and high-dollar customs is not really worth it for a gun that will be used. The TRP is a really good buy, IMO. The FBI just has taxpayer money to blow on stuff where a Glock costing 20% of the price would perform just as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Mayo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on what you want and how much money you're willing to pay. I have owned and own pistols worth more than the Pro but the difference in performance between the TRP and high-dollar customs is not really worth it for a gun that will be used. The TRP is a really good buy, IMO. The FBI just has taxpayer money to blow on stuff where a Glock costing 20% of the price would perform just as well. </div></div>

You would think that any actual tactical unit in the FBI would want to use a higher cap gun than the 1911 with the kind of situations they are called to these days. I love my 1911's but I know that only having 8-9 rounds per mag can be a factor when in a fight. I know it isnt a primary weapon when they deploy as a SWAT unit but still (JMO).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I know it isnt a primary weapon when they deploy as a SWAT unit but still (JMO). </span></div></div>Then WHY have them?.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I know it isnt a primary weapon when they deploy as a SWAT unit but still (JMO). </span></div></div>Then WHY have them?. </div></div>

I think what he meant by "it isnt a primary weapon" is that they carry them to back up their shoulder fired weapons. Primary weapon = MP5 or M4 variants.

Duh!........thanks,, I took it to mean they swapped for Higher Caps.

Since this thread is here, I have always LIKED the TRP series .45's, what is a good price of a new one, or an excellent shape used?.
Idea's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since this thread is here, I have always LIKED the TRP series .45's, what is a good price of a new one, or an excellent shape used?.
Idea's. </div></div>

Depends on the finish. You can find the Stainless for around $950 but will be lucky to find an Armory Kote for Around $1200. They usually run around $1300-1400 for unrailed and a little more for Railed (Operator).

Re: Springfield TRP 1911 vs Springfield FBI Versio

I was on the verge of getting a TRP at one point but ended up going with two Ed Brown 1911's costing $2500 each. I liked the Ed Browns until I had a chance to shoot the SA "Pro" model.

I've since sold both of the Ed Browns and own two SA "Pro" models. It's the most confidence inspiring pistol I've ever owned.

As far as "worth it"?, that's something only the buyer can decide. For me, they are worth it. YMMV.

I've owned and shot both. In fact, now that I think about it, I guess I've carried all three levels for work. I sold off the TRP and still use the Pro and the plain jane loaded Operator with full rails. The TRP is nice, but with skateboard tape on the front strap of my loaded model, I couldn't really tell the difference except the price tag. The TRP sharp sights do nothing for me as a fighting gun - great target sights though. Are the PRO models worth the money - yes. Find one to handle and shoot and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I bought a TRP about two monts ago for 1180 bones. It's the armory kote. This purchase was at Sportmen's Headquarters in Montgomery, AL. The TRP is the only 1911 I've owed but I am very happy with it.

Thank you sir, sorry to jump in your thread...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inspcalahan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned and shot both. In fact, now that I think about it, I guess I've carried all three levels for work. I sold off the TRP and still use the Pro and the plain jane loaded Operator with full rails. The TRP is nice, but with skateboard tape on the front strap of my loaded model, I couldn't really tell the difference except the price tag. The TRP sharp sights do nothing for me as a fighting gun - great target sights though. Are the PRO models worth the money - yes. Find one to handle and shoot and you'll know what I'm talking about. </div></div>

The TRP and Pro have the same sights, Novaks.
The big differences in the TRP and a Loaded model is the 20lpi checkering, magwell and NM frame and slide,
With the Professional you get a Birdsong Black-T finish on everything including springs, Nowlin barrel, S&A fitted magwell, standard guide rod plug and everything is hand fitted.
I love my Pro and so does all my friends. They always try to buy it off me.

The "Pro" is one of my "I WILL HAVE ONE DAY" handguns. I bought my first 1911 early last year. A Springfield Loaded Operator with the full length rail. I got it used and LOVE IT. I just got my second which was a "must have gun for me" it's the Nighthawk GRP Recon. My NH is my favorite gun right now. I will have a Pro oneday hopefully soon.

I would find one of the older TRP USMC Operator models those things were sweat and the you may be able to find a good deal on one right now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inspcalahan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TRP is nice, but with skateboard tape on the front strap of my loaded model, I couldn't really tell the difference except the price tag.</div></div>
This is a bit of a sidetrack, but I can definitely feel and see a difference between the Loaded and TRP lines. I own a TRP Operator (full rail) and have shot plenty of Loadeds. The Loadeds feel loose and ill-fitted in comparison. The slide-frame fit is sloppier on the Loaded, the safety will often go a couple mm past the "off" position on the Loaded, etc.

also if you look at your ser# the NM prefix is US made and the N prefix is made in Brazil or at least thats how it has been for years may have changed ?

For those that are interested there is a big tacked thread over at 1911forum.com in the Springer section on the differences between the two.

Depends on the price. In handling them you can tell the Pro was given more attention. Does that transfer to reliability and function....probably on some level.

On that note the TRP WAS one of the best buys out there for 1911's but the prices have gotten a bit out of control. There's a shop here with 2 TRP's, and Operator, and a Pro on the shelf. They have the TRP's priced around $1550, and I didn't even look ask about the pro. In fact another shop just got a TRP and it's priced at $1660 If the TRP was in the 1000-1200 tops it would be the best deals going. At $1500+ you are in the range of a used wilson, les baer, ed brown, etc. or giving not much more to get a new one. YOu can find CQB's all day for $2000 if you look, and I'll take a CQB over a TRP anyday.

At some point it's no longer a need issue, or a "can I rationally justify this in performance" issue. It's like the wilson supergrades. Are they worth $2000 more than a CQB....in terms of pure function and performance I'd say no. If you handle them there are subtle differences in fit and finish you can notice, but both are equally likely to run flawlessly. I think the TRP and Pro are similar in this respect. More time and detail are put into the Pro, but the TRP is a very well build 1911 and very few people ever have an issue with them.