• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Springfield TRP back from getting Melonite

Dirknar

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2006
Spokane WA
Drake @drakes custom guns did all the work. This started out as a Stainless TRP.
Melonite treatment
wilson beavertail
S&A magwell
caspian slide stop
caspian extractor

Before
100_1821.jpg

After
100_2427.jpg

100_2428.jpg

100_2423.jpg

100_2425.jpg

Re: Springfield TRP back from getting Melonite

wsup Stu? I gotta get out and shoot this thing.. too busy, as usual.

Looks GREAT! I have been thinking about a few different finishes for one my 1911s and melonite is one of them.

What are your impressions of the finish itself?

The finish is very nice looking. It is supposed to be very durable and rust/corrosion restistant. The surface hardness is above chrome. It definatly made a smoother action. so far I like it. I will see how it holds up, as this is my only carry pistol.

What holster are you using for your TRP?

Do they have a web site , I've been thinking about having my bolt coated with somthing like this

How much do they charge for the melonite and modified grip safety?

The only holster I have right now for it is a Milt Sparks VMII. I would like a safariland drop leg for outdoor stuff.

They cannot treat Alloy frames.. It is a carbon steel/stainless steel case hardening type process..

His website is here: http://www.drakesgunworks.com/ but is under construction.

Melonite starts @175+ shipping for the whole gun.. Grip safety??

I've been considering a finsih on my stainless TRP as well. What was the turn around time? I looked into Black T but it seems the wait is looongg

the wait time was a little longer than expected, I think I sent it off right after thanksgiving and I got it back the other day.. But this was not all Drakes fault. He found out after recieving my pistol, that it had some chromed parts on it. He didnt want to try and strip the chrome so I had to buy new parts and he had to fit them. And the first beavertail he bought was a S&A and he said it didnt fit very well so he had to order another one and went with a wilson.

The parts he replaced:
Stock ILS magwell W/ a S&A one piece magwell, Very nice piece.
ejector
Slide stop
Extractor
GI style plug/rod
Beavertail

Good work sure does take time, but 3 months isnt al that bad... The 2nd picture shows the finish very well, it looks really good IMO. Thanks for sharing