• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS .308 or SPS Tactical .308 - Which one?

thelongshot

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
Adelaide, South Australia
Hey guys,

I'm new here, as well as being new shooter. So let's cut right down to the chase;

I'm looking for my first rifle (both for hunting and range), and after doing some research online, as well as some personal recommendation, it looks like i'll be going for the Remington SPS series rifles. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">But I need someone more knowlegable (like you guys) to tell me which would be a better choice!</span></span>

My two personal choices;

<span style="font-weight: bold">- SPS .308 for $995AUD ($633USD)</span>
- 24" Barrel, 1:10 Twist,
- Not too sure about the stock and trigger (X-Mark Pro?)

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS.asp

<span style="font-weight: bold">- SPS Tactical .308 for $1,295AUD ($824USD)</span>
- 20" Barrell, 1:12 Twist
- X-Mark Trigger
- Hogue Overmold Dual Point Pillar.
- <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">$1,495AUD ($952USD) for package including 4-16x44 Olivon Scope & Mounts.</span></span>

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/premier_dealer_exclusives/model_700_SPS.asp

Essentially, I live in Adelaide, South Australia and with our dollar chrashing by %25 since last year, I will be paying considerably more than you guys in the U.S. for these rifles, nevertheless I think these are good first-timer rifles.

Here is the store I will be buying from;
http://www.adelaidegunshop.com.au

Optics-wise, I will be pruchasing either a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x50 or a Tasco WC 4-16x50.

I'm also hoping to upgrade to the AICS Stage 1.5 (folding stocks are illegal in Australia) when funds permits.

Cheers,
TheLongShot

Re: SPS .308 or SPS Tactical .308 - Which one?

Hi Mate..

I had the same choices about 2 Months ago.

I choose the SPS Tactical because of the positive reviews it got (not withstanding the stock).

1. Free float barrel
2. Sub MOA out of the box.

Good Luck!!!!
smile.gif

I've gone with the Tactical myself. I like the 20" barrel, and while the hogue stock isn'y what you want in a tactical stock, at least it'll shoot 'till you get something better. Those stocks on the SPS-V aren't worth the plastic it took to make 'em IMHO...

how far are you looking to shoot and are you going to be hand loading?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how far are you looking to shoot and are you going to be hand loading? </div></div>

I've been varmint clearing (feral rabbits) at my uncle's sheep farm (careful not to shoot those fluffy things!) with a .223, but a mate wants to plan an outback camel and kangaroo hunt. He's already ordered the SPS Tactical .308.

As this would be a hunting/range rifle, I would think most shots should be taken from 50-100 metres but I would like to have at least a 600 metre rifle.

Further on (1-2 years) I'm planning to defer my university fee payments inorder to save up for a Barrett M99 .416 or Steyr HS .460 (atleast a 1,500 metre rifle)!

Handloading wise, I probably be interested in about 6 months (just becuase I don't know much about it), but factory .308 Win rounds are cheap and plentiful here.

Cheers,
TheLongShot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've gone with the Tactical myself. I like the 20" barrel, and while the hogue stock isn'y what you want in a tactical stock, at least it'll shoot 'till you get something better. Those stocks on the SPS-V aren't worth the plastic it took to make 'em IMHO... </div></div>

I'm not sure about the SPS Varmint, but I know the SPS has a different stock. What is the difference between the two? Just the word "Varmint"?

Cheers,
TheLongShot

well from what i have been told a 308 with a 20'' barrel with shoot clean out to a 1000 yrds with the right load with no problem so,with that being said i would go with the sps tactical or the sps varmint with the target barrel (bull/heavy) if you can get one

Same twist rate, but different barrel lengths and stocks. I just bought a SPS Tactical in .223. Had it less than a week before I sold the stock off in anticipation of a McM A5. I got it also because it has a 1:9 vice 1:12 twist for the .223 and it was cheaper for me ($560 out the door instead of Dick's special $600 with worthless scope).

If you plan on messing with the stock I'd go with the Varmint since it is that much cheaper for you. The Hogue stock isn't worth that much extra money, you can still get it to flex enough to touch the barrel.

Both should be just as accurate.

hey thelongshot, you should consider a 300winmag for hunting, it bucks the wind much better than a .308 and stopping power is unbelievable. i think you might be disappointed with a .308 past 600yrds especially if you are shooting at any type of angle. as far as a barrett goes, save your money. the m99 isnt worth it and the rounds are too damn expensive. trust me, i live and shoot in murfreesboro tn where barrett is manufactured, designed, and tested.

+1 on lonewolfusmc. no need in spending the extra cash on a stock you are scraping anyway. mcmillan is expensive but very well built. i personally have the A5 on the R700 SPS-V. in .308. get good optics as this will determine what you can hit. leupold mkIV is what i use. fixed 10x.

Hi Longrange,

I went for the SPS Tactical. The 20" barrel is lighter and handier, and you don't lose any velocity. The Hogue stock is comfortable and rugged. Accuracy is about .75 moa. or better.

The Bushnell 3200 Elites I have on my rifles (I have one in .223 too) are 10X fixed not variable, but is a fine economical scope for these rifles. I've developed my loads and come-ups and taped a printed chart on my stock. Just laze the range, dial it in the scope and it goes there.

The 3200's don't have adjustable objectives, but parallax is not an issue with proper cheek weld. I also used Burris Signiture Z rings which with their offset bushing kit, allows you to utilize the full adjustment of the scope from close up to 1,000 yards and beyond.

I think its a great economical package that allows you more money for trigger time.

Good Luck,
Sherlok

I would go with the plain SPS. I agree that the extra money spent on the hogue stock is waisted. You should get the same accuracy from the plain SPS as you would with the Tactical, and if you're planning to upgrade the stock in the future, why spend more on a worthless stock to start with. Both stocks are not the best. I'm not sure one is better than the other. I'd go for the cheaper of the two. If you find you want a shorter barrel, you can always have a smith chop it down. You won't be able to lengthen one though.

SPS Varmint 308. I went with that. Well, my wife bought it for me for Christmas year before last. Couple of months later, I took the stock off. Sold that! I put a brand spanking new HS Precision 5R Milspec take off stock. Installed a new Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T. Put a Shilen trigger on it. New Badger rings and mount.

I shoot reloads from 600 to 1000 yards and it is nice setup.

Why spend for the SPS-Tactical when you will probably change the stock out anyways.

Since the stock sux on both, just purchase a Rem 700P in .308(has same barreled action).

Better stock and by the time you buy a stock you will be in the same money..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler1833</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you plan on messing with the stock I'd go with the Varmint since it is that much cheaper for you. The Hogue stock isn't worth that much extra money, you can still get it to flex enough to touch the barrel.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure one is better than the other. I'd go for the cheaper of the two. If you find you want a shorter barrel, you can always have a smith chop it down. You won't be able to lengthen one though. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you will be upgrading the stock, go with the SPS-V. It's still Sub-MOA out of the box.

I love mine. </div></div>

diggler1833, johngfoster, LoneWolfUSMC

I think you guys are right, that extra money saved from not buying the SPS Tactical can go towards a better glass and the AICS 1.5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PIGtooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the m99 isnt worth it and the rounds are too damn expensive. trust me, i live and shoot in murfreesboro tn where barrett is manufactured, designed, and tested.</div></div>

Haha yeah I know it's expensive, but I just want to buy one, granted, it'll be a while until I get it.

Cheers,
TheLongShot

Just make sure you're comparing apples to apples. The SPS Tactical has a 20" heavy contour 1/10 barrel. While the Hogue stock is nothing special, it works just fine. If you are looking the standard SPS in comparison, understand that the standard SPS has a different barrel profile it is a lightweight profile. If the standard had a heavy contour barrel I would go with that but since it doesn't my choice of the two would be the SPS Tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CANAVAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just make sure you're comparing apples to apples. The SPS Tactical has a 20" heavy contour 1/10 barrel. While the Hogue stock is nothing special, it works just fine. If you are looking the standard SPS in comparison, understand that the standard SPS has a different barrel profile it is a lightweight profile. If the standard had a heavy contour barrel I would go with that but since it doesn't my choice of the two would be the SPS Tactical. </div></div>

How much more is that heavy/heavier contour barrel going to affect the accuracy? Sorry to ask you this, but I'm new to the whole "boom-stick" thing.

Cheers,
TheLongShot

I have a sps tactical and it shoots half inch at a hundred yards. but I wish now that I had that 26 inch barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a sps tactical and it shoots half inch at a hundred yards. but I wish now that I had that 26 inch barrel. </div></div>

That much of a difference?

Cheers,
TheLongShot

The standard SPS is a Sporter contour roughly a 3.5 taper and the Tactical is the same as the Varmint contour roughly 5.5 taper. You can see the dimensions here.

http://www.douglasbarrels.net/contours/

The down side of the thinner barrel is as you fire more rounds the barrel heats up and this has a negative impact on accuracy. Light barrels are fine for hunting because your not taking alot of shots. The heavier contour will allow you to shoot more and remain consistant. Also, if you're going to put this into a 1.5 AICS the sporter barrel will look out of place.

Of the two you mentioned go with the SPS Tactical.

If you really want to do long range shooting then I would go with the SPS Varmint and drop it into the 1.5. The Varmint should be the same barreled action as the 700P

Hope this helps

I would pick the Varmint over the Standard over the Tactical. If the Varmint is the same price as the Standard, then go with the Varmint. If this is going to eventually be a custom build with a custom barrel, then buy the cheapest one, shoot it, and when you can afford it, get the stock you want and have a new tube hung.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CANAVAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The down side of the thinner barrel is as you fire more rounds the barrel heats up and this has a negative impact on accuracy. Light barrels are fine for hunting because your not taking alot of shots. The heavier contour will allow you to shoot more and remain consistant. Also, if you're going to put this into a 1.5 AICS the sporter barrel will look out of place.

Of the two you mentioned go with the SPS Tactical.

If you really want to do long range shooting then I would go with the SPS Varmint and drop it into the 1.5. The Varmint should be the same barreled action as the 700P

Hope this helps </div></div>

Hmmm, since I'm going to be learning distance shooting with this rifle, I might go through a few rounds and quickly too...

From what I can gather the Varmint is the longer barrel version of Tactical. Am I right?

Cheers,
TheLongShot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would pick the Varmint over the Standard over the Tactical. If the Varmint is the same price as the Standard, then go with the Varmint. If this is going to eventually be a custom build with a custom barrel, then buy the cheapest one, shoot it, and when you can afford it, get the stock you want and have a new tube hung. </div></div>

Sounds like I should check out the Varmint then... It would make a nice Tactical Weapons System with the AICS!

Cheers,
TheLongShot

I'm sure the SPS Tactical is a 1:12 twist. Mine was anyway.

Rath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure the SPS Tactical is a 1:12 twist. Mine was anyway.

Rath </div></div>

And your abosoloutely correct! Sorry I don't know where I found that 1:10 from...

What kind of differnce does that make?

Cheers,
TheLongShot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler1833</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same twist rate, but different barrel lengths and stocks</div></div>

Sorry but I just found out the Tactical is 1:12, but the standard is still 1:10

Cheers,
TheLongShot

Mate there's a New rem 700 police on used guns in 300win for $1650. I'm sure you could probably knock the price down a little. At least when you upgrade the stock you'll be able to sell the HS on it for at least $300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pongnukl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mate there's a New rem 700 police on used guns in 300win for $1650. I'm sure you could probably knock the price down a little. At least when you upgrade the stock you'll be able to sell the HS on it for at least $300. </div></div>

Oh yeah, this looks good, sounds good... But I think I should stick with the .308, I'm still learning the ways of a true Sniper! I will be looking for a bigger round in the future though, maybe the .416 Barrett?

Cheers,
TheLongShot

LongShot,

Mate the only way you can "learn the ways of a true Sniper" is to enlist! I would not worry about .416 Barrett until you have put thousands of rounds through your .308.

Good luck with the SPS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LongShot,

Mate the only way you can "learn the ways of a true Sniper" is to enlist! I would not worry about .416 Barrett until you have put thousands of rounds through your .308.

Good luck with the SPS</div></div>

I've sent an application to the RAAF and ARMY for registration of interest. But the main hurdle of a military career is my other/initial career choice; financial advisor/accountant and subsequent 4.5 years of university. I've already invested thousands of dollars into university and I want to get that out of the way first, then I'll probably enlist in the reserves.

Cheers,
TheLongShot

You sure the Varmint has a 1-10 twist, I think Rem's are all 1-12, for .308, unless it's a 40x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You sure the Varmint has a 1-10 twist, I think Rem's are all 1-12, for .308, unless it's a 40x. </div></div>

The standard SPS has the 1:10 twist, the Tactical 1:12 and finally the Varmint also 1:12.

http://www.snipercentral.com/rifles.htm

Correct me If I'm wrong, but <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">"lower ratio = greater spin = greater inertia = greater centre of pressure stablility"</span></span>? I know some physics and aerodynamic theory but lack any first-hand ballistic experience.

I'm here to learn you know!

Cheers,
TheLongShot

The 1/10 will allow you to shoot heavier rounds. The 1/12 in a 308 meets the needs of the majority of 308 shooters. As to the 300WM, since you're just starting out get the 308 and shoot the heck out of it. Learn your rifle, learn the fundamentals and learn what impact your surroundings (wind, temp, alt etc.) have on shooting. Keep good records, dry fire allot, pay attention to the fundementals and you'll get more out of shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CANAVAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As to the 300WM, since you're just starting out get the 308 and shoot the heck out of it.</div></div>

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Although that 700P in .300WM for only $1,650AUD ($1,050USD) sounds tempting, I know I should stick to the .308.

Cheers,
TheLongShot

I think you should stick with your very good original choice of .308 Win. cal. As you said ammo is reasonably priced and easy to find. I'll add that .308 Win. cal. is an inherently very accurate caliber and is capable of accurate hits past 1,000m with the right shooter, conditions and weapon system. New cartridges to improve on the .308 Win. have come and gone but the .308 Win is still here and most of the solutions are long gone.

Longer barrels will give you a slightly higher velocity downrange somewhere around 20-30FPS per/inch past the Remington 700 compact's 20" barrel and also have less blast and recoil. Less recoil is good at 700+m as you can spot your own shots better due to reduced disturbance of your sight picture. The 1 in 10 vs. 1 in 12 rate of twist issue is harder to choose between as heavier bullets strongly tend to buck the wind and carry more energy downrange than lighter projectiles. The slower rate of twist allows shooting much lighter bullets at higher velocities, fast enough to match the heavier bullets while shooting flatter and staying supersonic longer which tends to give you smaller groups. Maybe the new Remington 700 Target/Tactical's 1 in 11.25 is the best compromise.

I would go with the steeper twist to stabilize the heavys. You cannot over spin the lighter ones, so you can use them too.

If you choose the .223 for economics, be sure to get a 1-9 twist which is supposed to be standard in the SPS Tactical, but many were shipped with 1-12's which really won't stabilize much over 55 grains.

Sherlok

I would go with the SPS Tactical in 308. I have one right now. Love the 20" barrel. Stock kinda sucks but you can easily replace that and sell the tactical Hogue stock really easily. I first put a Mcmillan A5 sniper fill with wheel and knob cheek rest and LOP changing spacers. Then I put a HS-Precision PST-025 that is adjustable for LOP and Cheek via wheel adjustment. But now I have a AICS 1.5 stock for the rifle. Mcmillan was a solid stock but needs to be bedded for the best performance. HS-Precision and AICS 1.5 both have aluminum bedding so bedding is not necessarily needed for best performance. I found that if your recoil lug does not have full contact with the stock on the Mcmillan that even with the 65 in-lb torque I set the screws at the shots will be everywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe the new Remington 700 Target/Tactical's 1 in 11.25 is the best compromise.</div></div>

That's a good looking rifle!

But unfortunately, I don't think my local gun shop has them in stock yet. It take's a while for brand new things to eventually end up at the shelves here in Australia.

I'm seriously considering jumping across the Tasman to New Zealand, they're more relaxed about gun laws.

Cheers,
TheLongShot

I bought an anomalous special edition: A tactical on a Varmint stock!

20" barrel, 1-12 twist, X-mark trigger (now adjusted down to 2.5 lbs). At the time Remington also offered a $40.00 rebate which is like 4,000,000,000,000 Astralian Lira if my conversion math is correct
laugh.gif

I swapped out the Varmint stock for a B&C, Put a Harris bi-pod, Burris mount, rings and 4.5-14 mil dot scope.

It shoots way better than I can!

Do you guys see much of Savage rifles in OZ?

Will you be shooting at Dingos? I hear they eat babies!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20" barrel, 1-12 twist, X-mark trigger (now adjusted down to 2.5 lbs). At the time Remington also offered a $40.00 rebate which is like 4,000,000,000,000 Astralian Lira if my conversion math is correct
laugh.gif
.</div></div>

Yeah I've heard about Tacticals being sold in the Varmint stocks. It's the Australian Dollar (not lira or quatloos). I think it's also gaining on the American dollar too! Hopefully it will be on par soon so those Nightforce Scopes wouldn't hurt the wallet as much!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you guys see much of Savage rifles in OZ?</div></div>
Not that I know of, but a lot of Howa, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, Ruger, Winchester and Steyr. There are others but those (with Remingtons) are the big brands here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you be shooting at Dingos? I hear they eat babies! </div></div>
Yes, they can and will eat babies (it's actually quite sad). But dingoes are not the most dangerous animals here, far from it. Sharks (4 attacks the last month!), snakes (the three most lethal land species) and salt-water crocodiles (3 fatalities in the last two months) are the ones to watch out for. Red kangaroos and emus can slice you in half with their huge talon-like claws.

But my main targets will be feral animals; camels, donkeys, water buffalo, foxes, deer, rabbits and cats. Kangaroos will be targeted too.

Cheers,
TheLongShot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 700P300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SPS Varmint 308. I went with that. Well, my wife bought it for me for Christmas year before last. Couple of months later, I took the stock off. Sold that! I put a brand spanking new HS Precision 5R Milspec take off stock. Installed a new Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T. Put a Shilen trigger on it. New Badger rings and mount.

I shoot reloads from 600 to 1000 yards and it is nice setup.

Why spend for the SPS-Tactical when you will probably change the stock out anyways. </div></div>

+1 here.
I am new here, but I have been around the shooting community for a while now and I have to agee. You are going to replace the stocks on both anyway. I did. I replaced the stock on the SPS Varmint with a PSS stock and the SPS Tactical with a 5R stock. I use the SPS Tactical more in comps that require a lot of moving from place to place, but I have had better accuracy out of the SPS Varmint. Both are great rifles and both shoot real well. (I replaced both triggers also
wink.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blafayette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are going to replace the stocks on both anyway.</div></div>

Yeah, either with the AICS Stage 1.5 or a Wild Dog Tactical.

Here's the Wild Dog website;
http://www.wilddog.com.au/content/tactical-rifle-stocks.asp

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
TheLongShot

Wow, I like the looks on those. I do not think you will be let down with that.

Deffinently not with the AICS 1.5.
wink.gif

LongShot,

I was kidding about the Lira! Sorry I mis-spelled Australia. I meant no disrespect. Just zooming along tapping keys and missed the "u".

Most of that besides the rifle specs was meant to be comedy!

By the way, I'm an American who can name a country that begins with a U
grin.gif

Now that we have established that I'm not one of the dumbasses in the "Gene Pool-man on the street" thread; Do you guys have to match weights with the kangaroos when you box with them or is it less formal than regular boxing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was kidding about the Lira! Sorry I mis-spelled Australia. I meant no disrespect. Just zooming along tapping keys and missed the "u".</div></div>

Usually it's misspelled "Austria", but yeah, I knew you were kidding! But it's still very sad that the baby was eaten by a dingo...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that we have established that I'm not one of the dumbasses in the "Gene Pool-man on the street" thread; Do you guys have to match weights with the kangaroos when you box with them or is it less formal than regular boxing?</div></div>

The kangaroos organise the fights themselves. Usually it's between heavyweights (187.4 lbs minimum). It's entertaining to watch as well!

Cheers,
TheLongShot