• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report SPS .308 Range report

el gordo2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
San Antonio, Tejas
I picked .308 Win 700 SPS a couple of weeks ago. Been looking at Cabela's for a while and they find put em on sale. I had a $100 off coupon and some points so I wound up paying $360 out the door for it. When funds are available it's going to be a .260 so in the mean time I figure I would shoot her.

IMG_9870.jpg

For the time being I installed a reg 2 pc Warne base and rings and borrowed a MK 4 4.5x14 I had sitting on a Marlin XL7. The trigger was set at 4lbs 13oz from the factory. I messed with it some and was only able to get it down to 4 lbs. In my opinion the "new X Mark" has alot to be desired. *note to self* add a Jewell to the list of build items.
I decided to take the hard rubber pad off and fill the hollow tupperware butt with lead shot which brought the weight up to 15lbs 7 ozs. Perfect for taming the recoil :grin As per Hooper's suggestion I gave the bore a good treatment of JB's before firing it.

It took me 3 shots to get it zeroed and these were shots 4-12. I did clean every 3 shots. Left-Right 168 smk, 155 palma,175smk

These are only 3 shot groups which I know are prohibited.
sick.gif

IMG_9950.jpg

I'm thinking this thing shows some promise right of the bat. I went on to shoot another 20 or so more rounds through it. I did manage a .1 bug hole with 155gr.

Fast forward to 5-7 and I have 25 rounds of each loaded for the 5/5 group target. 168 SMK using 44.5 grs of R15 and Fed 210's and 175 SMK with 43.0 gr of Varget.I am shooting 5 shot strings and using a blower to cool the barrel down. Ambient temps are in the mid 90's. THese are all five shot groups.

1stSPSGroups.jpg

I started with the 175's at the upper right hand vertical target. Things started off great, the center bull got sloppy, then it tightened up and well sloppy again. There, 25 shots on paper so I switch to the lighter 168's.

Here's the 175 SMK target up close.
SPS175SMKTarget.jpg

The 168 load was shot on the bottom left horizontal target L-R.The first group was the best of the day. I am feeling pretty good at this point and wait and fire the next 5. Hmmmmm, things are clicking not a bad 2nd group. Now is where things go wrong............
frown.gif

Just as all the previous groups I fired, I was using a blower/fan to help speed up the cooling and must have gotten in a hurry. I had been placing the rifle on top of a welding machine for 5-10 minutes and would wander off and do some work in the shop. Well I dont know what happened but I heard a sound and turned to see the rifle hit scope first on a concrete floor, my heart just sank. The sun shade flew off, the side paralax knob looks slightly bent and has a big ding in it and the outside on the muzzle had a good scrape mark on it.

I was a bit upset but picked it up and decided to see if anything was awry. I should have shot at another target but didnt. I centered up on the far right bull and pow, I look and see a hole just right of the group I had just fired minutes before. I think to myself, ARGGGGGGGGGG and then shoot another. Bam, that shot went just below 6 o'clock on the middle bull. At a loss, I was on a good high and within a few minutes am hanging my head. The fall the rifle took apparently moved something as now its shooting 4 inches to the left. Those 2 shots are circled in red .
SPS168SMKTarget.jpg

I decided to call it a day as I only had 13 rounds left and at that point did not want to zero the gun again. I am tickled about the way this $360 gun is shooting with it's plastic stock and not being floated. Sorry for the rant

Re: SPS .308 Range report

I wonder how many people spent 5-6 times the amount and get groups like that. Great "out of the box" you got!

Well I finished shooting the 168gr/Varget load this evening but ran out of shooting light. I managed to get 3 five shots groups on paper. I had to re-zero the scope from last week as the rifle took a really bad fall right on the scope.

Looks like I got screwed on deal, I figured a $360 rifle would shoot a whole lot better than this.

IMG_0002.jpg

I completed yesterday's target this morning with firing 2 five shot groups.

The bottom right had a flyer I called on the first shot of the string but there was no none there to hear.
whistle.gif

IMG_0004.jpg

Bragger.........

Man guy while I was reading your first post I was so stoked. Then my heart just fell out of my chest while I let out a giant NOOOOOOOOOO! hearing that baby hit the ground. Very happy to hear every thing's okay.

Being the generous guy that I am, I'm willing to give you what you paid for that rifle plus.......wait for it......an additional $50 if you throw in the Mark 4 ;-)

-Pat

awesome man. congrats on the great purchase. aparently it is even "fall" proof, which is more than you can say for many guns.

Before the rains hit this morning, I had a chance to shoot some 500 yard groups with the SPS Varmint. The 168 SMK load averages 2630 out of this rifle which is a bit slower than my other .308. I dialed up 11.75 and it was pretty darn close. The wind wasnt bad, probably 1/4@ 0-5mph.

I made a quick swinging steel target made of 3/8" A-36 floor plate. The load did dimple the plate some. While shooting it, the A-36 diffinately has a differrent ring to hit.

I shot three 3 round groups and this was the worst of the them at just a tad over 4 inches.

IMG_0029.jpg

Here is the first of the 3 at 500 yards. The compact flash card will give a reference.
500ydgroup1.jpg

The second, with the same hold.

500ydgroup2.jpg

The third group I dialed .5 right and wound up with this.

500ydgroup3.jpg

More results to come when I shoot again. The trigger on the thing is horrible, not much creep but I cant get it below 4 lbs. Maybe I need to rob a Jewell or a 40X out of other guns.

Doesn't look like bad shooting at all. That steel sure seems not to take the rounds very nicely. But it works.