• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS put-together range report

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
At some point, for reasons I can't remember or understand, I sold off all of my 308's. I have had two excellent shooting LTRs and a beautiful 5R....as well as an absolutely stunning DPMS LR-308LW. THe only good news is I think all went to hide members so I am sure they all have good homes.

I didn't miss them too much.....for a while anyway. Most of my shooting lately has been either paper or varmints. 22lr, 223 and 243 have done well in those areas. But, I started deer/antelope hunting again last fall and although the 243 did fine, it is set up as a heavy varmint gun and not especially fun to carry. So.......I started missing my 308. I still had 308 ammo even! But, its been one baby and two moves and a few different jobs for the wife and money isn't exactly laying around....so this 308 was going to be a bit of a budget build.

Here's the specs:

Used SPS in 308
Used LTR stock
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 that was sitting in safe after I sold its rifle
Harris Bi-pod with real podloc
homemade cheekpiece

Only work done was the lightened the damn x-mark trigger to about 3.5 lbs. It breaks clean with no creep...if a bit heavy. Then I sprayed some krylon on rifle and scope. Stock came duracoated.....

Finally got it out to range today:
Here's pic of rifle and 6 shot group:

IMG_6534.jpg

Ammo was HSM 168gr match (168gr A-Max and Soft Point loads shot to same POI)
Prone, bi-pod in front, sand sock in rear.
Six shots. Got a little too much verticle from my crappy breathing technique and I clearly pushed a bad 4th shot. But, as a deer getter, I think it will work

Re: SPS put-together range report

I dropped a .223 SPS Tactical into a 700P stock and couldn't be happier for what I'm using it for. Just like yours, mine shoots great. Nice job!