• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing SPS rebarrel help!

zgilbert

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2008
Rincon,GA
Ok I have a 308 in the Remy 700 SPS not varmint and not tactical. I am wanting a #7 contour in about 22" to 24". Looking for the best deal in a barrel and someone to chamber and fit it in my existing 700 action. I have my mind made up on the stock and trigger that I am going with just need help with the barrel. Would also "like" to have an extended bolt knob. I like them, and I like the feel but may not be in the budget. I will have about $600 to spend on the barrel work.

Re: SPS rebarrel help!

good luck

what happens is any gunplumber worth their salt.....will want to true up the action....thus making certain the re-barrel job will do itself justice.....you NOW have broken your budget but a magnitude.

consider a pre-owner stick to your liking....and get on a ramen noodle diet

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-services.html

"Chamber and true the action and bolt and crown muzzle on customer\\\'s rifle $350 "

"Hand lapped stainless steel match grade barrels - Bartlein, Schneider, or Obermeyer $315 "

"Badger Ordnance Tactical Bolt Knob - installed [View Details] [Hide Details] $95"

There you go! You weren't too far off of budget. And with these guys you know you're getting good work.

It can be done for less than your targeted amount, but you'll be cutting corners on the truing, or the barrel.
CW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-services.html

"Chamber and true the action and bolt and crown muzzle on customer\\\'s rifle $350 "

"Hand lapped stainless steel match grade barrels - Bartlein, Schneider, or Obermeyer $315 "

"Badger Ordnance Tactical Bolt Knob - installed [View Details] [Hide Details] $95"

There you go! You weren't too far off of budget. And with these guys you know you're getting good work.

It can be done for less than your targeted amount, but you'll be cutting corners on the truing, or the barrel.
CW </div></div>

+10000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
....and get on a ramen noodle diet </div></div>

are you speaking from experience

Buy a good barrel of your choice (~$300) and send it to Robert Snyder (RW Snyder gunsmithing). He'll true up the action and chamber the barrel for $200. Add the tactical knob and you should be sitting right a $600 for a new installed barrel and bolt knob.

It looks like everyone's covered the barrel/chamber question. For the bolt I have both Badger and KMW. Both are nice, but I prefer the KMW...it has a little better feel to me.

KMW Bolt knob

My recommendation, wait, save and get what you really want or need. Otherwise you will regret it (just speaking from experience).

Zech, being well informed will save you money and dissapointment. Just rebarreling a rifle will not neccessarly make it shoot great. There are several things that need to be done in order to get a consistent half MOA rifle. A complete truing of the action, replacing the factory bolt with a PTG unit,adding a Jewell trigger or one of the many good ones on the market today. Also a complete pillar bedding job with plenty of free float under the barrel. Action truing means something different to many people, so make sure you get a complete expanation of what the smith is going to do and why. Years ago I started on precision rifle building as a hobby, and now it is a business where I build high end precision rifles. If I can help answer any questions, please ask I will will only give you facts on what I know from personal experience.

Zech,

What is your inteded use for the rifle and what do you expect from it? This might help in suggestions for what route to take.