• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS Tac vs SPS Varmint

Roy Thorne

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Ashton, Western Cape, South Africa
Hi Guys

I know there are lot of posts on here with this topic.
Just want to know what you think personally.
I have an Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 308 with 26" barrel,
but can get an SPS Tactical with 20" barrel.
Its the same contour and 1:12 twist.

Would it be an smart swop or not?

Re: SPS Tac vs SPS Varmint

Same gun other than barrel length and stock. If you're replacing the stock pick on which barrel length you want.

Lots of guys like the shorter tube for "handy-ness", but you will give up velocity. You need to determine what you want to do with the gun, and if every FPS of velocity is important to you. Most likely you wouldn't miss the 6" of bbl, but it boils down to personal preferance. It will not make a difference on accuracy.

If you are replacing the barrel, what does it matter? Is there any reason you aren't replacing the stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckelberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to determine what you want to do with the gun, and if every FPS of velocity is important to you. Most likely you wouldn't miss the 6" of bbl, but it boils down to personal preferance. It will not make a difference on accuracy. </div></div>

I'm currently making this same decision, but in .223. What kind of velocity loss would be expected with the 20" barrel compared to the 26"?

Thanks

I'd replace the stock waaaay before I replaced the barrel.

Guys, I already have an McMillan A4 stock. The SPS tactical would just bolt on the stock , becase my SPS varmint barreled action and contour are exacly the same.

The question were just to see what would be better and more accurate: 20" vs 26"

Its not only length they also have a different twist. I have the tac 20" with a 9" twist. Its a bone stock factory barreled action and it is very accurate. I don't have any problem ringing 6" steel at 600 yards all day. I run 69SMK's over 23.5 XBR8208. It shoots knot holes
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roy Thorne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I already have an McMillan A4 stock. The SPS tactical would just bolt on the stock , because my SPS varmint barreled action and contour are exacly the same.

The question were just to see what would be better and more accurate: 20" vs 26" </div></div>

accuracy isn't achieved from the barrel length. Speed yes. Accuracy no

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DREMEL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its not only length they also have a different twist. I have the tac 20" with a 9" twist. Its a bone stock factory barreled action and it is very accurate. I don't have any problem ringing 6" steel at 600 yards all day. I run 69SMK's over 23.5 XBR8208. It shoots knot holes
smile.gif
</div></div>

Read the OP, it's a 308 Win. The twist is the same regardless of varmint or tac model.

I took a 308 sps varmint with a 26" tube and bobbed it to 20". With actual chrongraph data with the same load before and after I lost a whopping 65 fps on average.

You might want to exercise the factory barrel before just replacing it, some are very nice shooters rough bore and all. If you are going to replace the barrel just keep the one you have instead of buying another rifle.

I have the 20" on mine and would not trade it out for a longer barrel. But that is presonal prefrance. On the factory remington barrels you do not loose enough velosity to make a diiference. I would not be so fast to replace the barrel. Mine shoots really well.

Thought the longer 26" barrel would be more accdurate, because of the longer time the bullet have to travel in the barrel to be stabelised, but on the other hand, the 20" are more stiffer and ridget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roy Thorne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question were just to see what would be better and more accurate: 20" vs 26"</div></div>

I have both, I cant say the 26" is less accurate when the load is adjusted for each rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roy Thorne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The velocity loss would be around 144 ft/s from the 26 to the 20" barrel.</div></div>

The difference between my two when the same load is used in each is much closer to 90-100fps

The biggest difference between them is handyness and balance. The 26" was my first rifle and since the tactical purchase the varmint model gets little use.

Id be tempted to cut 3" off the varmint finished with a nice target crown if I had it to do over again... best of both worlds. Or replace the barrel with a 20" rock creek with no loss in fps. I have a 21.75" rock barreled action that surpasses the varmint in fps, again with the same load fired in each. And it IS much more accurate and consistant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roy Thorne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought the longer 26" barrel would be more accdurate, because of the longer time the bullet have to travel in the barrel to be stabelised, but on the other hand, the 20" are more stiffer and ridget. </div></div>
I see you still have the X Mark trigger, maybe a nice Jewell trigger is in order soon?
265705-R1-22-23.jpg

2011-10-04-61140.jpg

If you're going to spend money on a stock barrel consider having it set back so you can get rid of the long throated chamber, then have it cut down and crowned.

For what it's worth, I just bought the SPS Varmint in .223 from Cabela's. I was pleasantly surprised to notice it was only $5 shipping after the order was placed. Looking forward to getting it and starting my first build!