• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sps tactical 223 ?

dbateman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
Mt Isa QLD, Australia
so I am looking at getting a new rem 700 sps 223
looking at the tactical with 20" barrel want to use this rifle for
long range paper punching and a bit of hunting
would I be disadvantaged buy the 20" barrel over the 24" barrel of a standard sps ... would up grade stock to MCM A5 in the not to distant future

these have a 1 in 9 twist what would be the heaviest projectiles I could
expect to be able to use

I would appreciate any input .. wold this set up be suited to this application

. Dave
p.s I did a search and it didn't come up with anything

Re: sps tactical 223 ?

There are several threads in regards to these rifles, both here and on ar15.com in the precision rifles section.

I have one. It is a decent shooter, but nothing to write home about. They have had numerous QC issues with the .223 SPS Tactical. From bad crowns, bad rifling to oversize extractors.

Mine really likes the Winchester Ranger 69 grain HPBT load, but it is difficult to find. It shoots 75 grain bullets pretty well. It does not really care for light bullets, though it does okay with the high quality 55 grain fodder.

I would suggest you explore the Savage 10PC in .223, CZ, Howa or Tikka. Make sure they have at least 1-9 twist.

Mine is a ok shoter. Ditch the stock and stick it in a cheap HS percision and have fun. You may be losing around 50 to 75 fps with the shorter barrel.

Buy it! It's a great building platform. Like said above, ditch the stock and go for a McM or a Manners with a free float channel, and give it a proper bed job. Mine shoots close to 3/4 minute with 60gr V-max reloads.

I was wondering what the smallest grain bullet would be out of a 1:9 twist. I would like to shoot 55g ballistic tips and dont know if they would come apart

Mine shoots 77 SMK or 77 CC nosler .5 to .75 with win brass 23gr.AA2230 WSR seated out to mag length.Its in an old PSS stock and has little trigger work.

Disadvantage is only a small amount of velocity loss for the 20". You can probably shoot the 77 SMK but I have found more often the 69 SMK is where your best overall performance will be. Sometimes you can get away with 75 AMAX & 60 VMAX is good.

What is your definition of long range? I would plan on 600 yds being the longest commonly used distance. You can of course get out farther but the wind will frustrate you often
wink.gif

As far as accuracy, several of the factory guns I have shot or owned have all been capable of 1 MOA (most closer to .75 MOA with exceptions at .5 MOA). I love these as starter rifles, know their capabilities, what advantages / disadvantages your rifle has after shooting it in the factory configuration for 1000 rounds. Then think about the glass on it, then the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are several threads in regards to these rifles, both here and on ar15.com in the precision rifles section.

I have one. It is a decent shooter, but nothing to write home about. They have had numerous QC issues with the .223 SPS Tactical. From bad crowns, bad rifling to oversize extractors.

Mine really likes the Winchester Ranger 69 grain HPBT load, but it is difficult to find. It shoots 75 grain bullets pretty well. It does not really care for light bullets, though it does okay with the high quality 55 grain fodder.

I would suggest you explore the Savage 10PC in .223, CZ, Howa or Tikka. Make sure they have at least 1-9 twist. </div></div>

I have one and I agree 100%.

thanks guy's yeah would only use it out to about 600yd's maybe further on when there is no wind

local gun shop is getting me a price on Monday

If you reload be sure to try 77 grain Nolsers custom comp's. Mine will hold those under 3/8" at 100 and 2" at 300. It also likes 70 grain berger VLD's.

I've also got one in .223 that I took the trigger down a bit and bedded in a McM A5. It is a solid .6 MOA shooter all day with 69gr SMKs. I haven't had any luck getting anything heavier to shoot in mine, but did also have pretty decent luck with the 68gr Hornadys.

No disadvantage to hunting with a 20" .223 in my eyes.

Had mine for over a year now, its the 20" fitted with AICS stock and threaded for sound mod (and recrowned). I've stuck to 69gr SMK's which seem to suit it very well. Have shot out to 800 yards and it has performed better than my expectations with some exceptional groups, down side is of course its susceptible to wind deflection. Good luck with whatever you decide.

why buy a rem 700 if you need a new stock and trigger from the word go.

why not buy a decent gun that has the better trigger and stock right away?

unless your going full custom job from the action i cant see the point in paying good money for a 700.

There are much better rifles out there for the money. such as Tikka

^ you may want to fill your profile out

I have never had any thing to do with Tikka .. i have been told they are accurate
rifle's
why would I buy a Tikka over a rem?

thanks for all the info guy's and the link CK_32 very good report thanks for taking the time to post it

When it comes to factory rifles, You can spend a lot of money only to find out that you can't out shoot a Remington 700.