• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS Tactical in .223?

Knight_Who_Says_Ni

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Idaho
I've been looking for a gun that I can shoot in the 200-600 yard range, and I started looking SPS Tacical over the SPS Varmint because the Tactical as a 1-9 twist barrel. My question is what kind of loads would be accurate in this set up. A few of the questions that I have have are...

1. Can i run a round like MK262 though it without worrying about too much pressure?
2. Can I run off the shelf 55 grain .223 loads through it?
3. What kind of accuracy can I expect out of it?

Also what kind of stock options are there for it that won't break the bank? I now that the Hogue it comes with is crap, but I can't afford a Manners or McMillain at the moment.

Rob

Re: SPS Tactical in .223?

1. MK262 will shoot but if your conditions are cold and close to sea level it might not be the best option.

2. .223 55gr loads will shoot no prob.

3. I would expect 3/4 moa good in the rifle if completely stock, 1moa will probably be the norm with good ammo.

If you handload you can possibly get that a bit lower.

Also, I would look into shooting something like a 69 SMK (or equivalent bullet) if you plan on shooting factory ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. MK262 will shoot but if your conditions are cold and close to sea level it might not be the best option.

2. .223 55gr loads will shoot no prob.

3. I would expect 3/4 moa good in the rifle if completely stock, 1moa will probably be the norm with good ammo.

If you handload you can possibly get that a bit lower.

Also, I would look into shooting something like a 69 SMK (or equivalent bullet) if you plan on shooting factory ammo.
</div></div>

While I do plan on shooting factory some, I will mostly be reloading it on my 550.

I have this rifle. I put it into a KRG stock and it eats everything I put through it. It's really likes my 68g Hornady BTHP and I get just over 1/2MOA out of it. It just plugged a p-dog at 246yds the other day right through the face and out the butt. It's super accurate and a blast to shoot. I threaded the barrel and shoot with a can and it barely even recoils. All in all a great rifle with lots of upgrade potentials.

Good luck!

I run 69gr SMK's out of mine and have had excellent accuracy all the way out to 800 yards.

For varminting I've run 50grain V-max and it shoots those superbly.

Threaded barrel fitted with a sound mod and sitting in an AICS stock - I couldn't be happier with it.

It has a 1-9 twist,55-69gr shoots great in the one I have its in a LTR stock with tuned old style trigger,mine shoots 69gr hand loads just aa little better than the 55s ymmv

I love mine. The magazine box took a little work to get feeding right and the oal lengthened, but other than that it has been a great little rifle. Mine has no issue stabilizing the 77 smk even at 14 degrees F and 500 feet asl.

i have shot a lot of p dogs with it stock and using Fiocchi 40gr vmax. You really dont need to do a lot to it. shoots almost as good as my surgeon.

I have the same rifle and it shoots well. I did not like the hogue stock, but everything else has been great. Really shoots with 69 smk and 24g varget.

^^I did the hs precision takeoff. Couldnt be happier. Well, I could be, but not without throwing lots more money at it.

Rob, I've had mine for a couple of years now. Great little Rifle to practice with. Low recoil and exceptional accuracy for a mass produced rifle.

Changes I've made to mine include replacing the stock with a PSS HS Precision Stock, 20 MOA Base, Leupold 4x14x40mm VX III Scope with M1 Knobs and TMR, AZ Precision Bolt Knob, CDI Bottom Metal, AI Polymer Mags (these mags allows really long seating of bullets) and a little trigger work to the original trigger.

I am also well aware of the stated limitations of the 1-9 twist rate barrel in regards to bullets weight, but with my hand loads, mine shoots better groups with 77 SMKs seated at 2.280 then it does with 69SMKs. Consistently hitting a 6 inch plate at 500 yards with this load and rifle combination is not difficult. At 750 yards I am getting around a 50% hit ratio against a La Rue pop up target.

Overall I am more than pleased with system however, once this current barrel is shot out, I'll re barrel it with either a 1-7 or 1-8 22 or 24 inch barrel for the additional versatility it will give in terms of using heaver bullets and higher velocity.

CDAT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rob, I've had mine for a couple of years now. Great little Rifle to practice with. Low recoil and exceptional accuracy for a mass produced rifle.

Changes I've made to mine include replacing the stock with a PSS HS Precision Stock, 20 MOA Base, Leupold 4x14x40mm VX III Scope with M1 Knobs and TMR, AZ Precision Bolt Knob, CDI Bottom Metal, AI Polymer Mags (these mags allows really long seating of bullets) and a little trigger work to the original trigger.

I am also well aware of the stated limitations of the 1-9 twist rate barrel in regards to bullets weight, but with my hand loads, mine shoots better groups with 77 SMKs seated at 2.280 then it does with 69SMKs. Consistently hitting a 6 inch plate at 500 yards with this load and rifle combination is not difficult. At 750 yards I am getting around a 50% hit ratio against a La Rue pop up target.

Overall I am more than pleased with system however, once this current barrel is shot out, I'll re barrel it with either a 1-7 or 1-8 22 or 24 inch barrel for the additional versatility it will give in terms of using heaver bullets and higher velocity.

CDAT
</div></div>

That sounds like a sweet set up! This definitely seals the deal on getting the gun!

What kind of optics is everyone running on these?

I got that same rifle, HS precision 5R takeoff stock from Gunbroker 200.00, Timney rigger and Leupold Mark AR Mildot scope. Only shot it out to 400 yds, but with great accuracy. Best group so far was a 5 shot group at about .380". Great rifle, 75 gr Hornady match BTHP factory loads shoot the best out of it and the Mark AR mildot is the cats ass.

69 smk's and 77 noslers work the best in mine. It has also received a stock replacement. It will shoot an honest 3/4 moa 10 shot group with the 69's and I have seen a few 5 shot groups in the mid .3's from time to time. That bullet is devastating on midsized varmints.