• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sps tactical, OAL length to lands

jordanh

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
Thief River Falls, MN
I just picked up my sps tactical. The first few rounds I loaded up I loaded to book spec of 2.810" OAL. I just picked up the Hornady Lock-N-Load OAL tools and measured out my length to the lands. With the Bullet comparator it measured 3.355" which ends up being roughly 2.930" from head to tip. Is this correct.. or am I having an issue here... seems awfully long..

New to measuring OAL to the lands...and want to make sure this everything is safe.

Re: sps tactical, OAL length to lands

That sounds about right for a factory tube, my 700p is somewhere close to that and it's basically the same barrel and action.

I ended up doing a google search and came up with a snipers hide topic that answered all my questions... sorry for the lack of research.

Thank you for the help.

I couldn't reach the lands with the SPS I had, and that was with 220 SMK's. Just load for the magazine and be done with it. It will shoot just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I couldn't reach the lands with the SPS I had, and that was with 220 SMK's. Just load for the magazine and be done with it. It will shoot just fine. </div></div>

Nonsense, That'd be a waste of the 65$ I just spent for Hornadys stuff
grin.gif

My SPS-T shoots noticeably better with longer seated rounds (168 SMK). Way longer than the internal mag will allow. I've settled with (measured from the ogive and subtracting the 1" comparator length) a 2.305" COAL.

Don't worry about your length to the lands with a stock rifle, load 175SMK with a dose of Vargay or RL15 and shoot the shit out of it, SMK's don't mind jumping.

Mine measures 2.94" so that sounds about right ..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tun_x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine measures 2.94" so that sounds about right .. </div></div>

Same here. I just let my 175 SMK's make the jump. Accuracy is still excellent.

i cant seat mine shallow enough to find the lands!! hahaha, thats with 155 palmas.....

even sitting the bullet in the case finger tight, it doesnt find the lands....

mag length is 2.830 ish oal on mine. have been seating them to 2.800, but im working up a new load so ill see how it goes.

jimi

Mag length and let her rip.Unless u want to single load.mine loved 168 Amax,Win brass,Win primer,and 45.5 Varget loaded to mag length.

just to update ya, just finished load workup on mine, 155 smk palma...

hated 2.800, 2.810, 2.830....... all MOA or worse

LOVED OAL 2.820"!!!!!!!! .4 MOA

think ill just settle on that as i dont think its getting much better... loaded up 20 at thos specs so ill see how they go maybe later today..

I called Remington on the same question last year.

Situation normal.

Jimi, another Vic shooter!

Yeh my 700P has a deepthroat... she likes to swallow those projectiles deep. Dirty little girl she is!

I too find the 155 scenars to shoot much better with very little jump 0.01 away. This means no mag length loading for me... which is a real shame because I also like to use the scenars for hunting.

I will have to try the 175smk's again in my rifle and see if i can get them pounding out sub moa out to 500 yards whilst being at mag length. Then i will be happy.