• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sps tactical stock modification

andersonman22

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
California
started yesterday on stiffening up the stock for my sps tactical aac sd..

not quite done, but i put it back together to see my progress and i have a free floater.

woot woot!

should be perfect once its all done. i will post pics in a day or two for those who are interested in doing the same to their own. so far its only cost me 26.68 at home depot for the supplies (fiberglass resin w/ stiffener and fiberglass mat).

stay posted.

Re: sps tactical stock modification

So you're building up the Hogue stock? Very interested in seeing the pics and hearing how it works. Almost bought the same rifle but couldn't get past the flex in forearm.

Would def like to know how you doing this and what kind of results you get. Keep us posted.

I have a couple of these sitting in the garage and would love to hear how this turns out. They seemed so bad it never occurred to me to try and salvage them. 40 bucks on ebay seemed like a good idea. Keep us posted.

so the results were not as planned.. so even though i did end up with a free floating stock halfway through the project, when i finished, the barrel was no longer free floating.

if i were to guess the reason, i would say that at the end when i was bedding the slot closest to the receiver and the recoil lug, the exothermic heat reaction from the resin had caused the stock to bend when i was applying pressure on the area.

this was my fault as i underestimated the effect of a small amount of resin. i should have applied pressure to a different area.

well, i guess its to home depot for some sand paper.

but for those who are interested in this project, yes it is possible to stiffen, just be careful and take your time with it. i will post pictures soon.

I am looking forward to seeing the results. My sps aac-sd should arrive at the dealer for pickup tomorrow! Will probably experiment on the factory stock to see what can be done.