• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS Tactical vs XCR compact tactical?

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Can anybody give me a range report on either of these? How well do the SPS shoot out of the box? I,m selling my DPMS and going to a bolt rifle. I can spend about 1500 on both rifle and optics and I'd like to spend more on the optic. So if the SPS shoots well to start out I'll go with it and upgrade the stock/trigger ect as I go. I'm looking for a good starter long range rifle to shoot 500 to 800+ yards. THanks for your help guys.

Re: SPS Tactical vs XCR compact tactical?

The SPS-T shoots very well in either .223 or .308. The XCR is stainless and comes with a better stock.

I favor the SPS if an upgraded stock is in in the plans.

My SPS-V is a consistent .75 MOA rifle.

The sps tac will fill that roll perfectly, that is persisly what I have planed for mine.

sps t actually shoots pretty decent even with the crappy hogue stock i've heard. that being said i had mine bedded in a b & c a5 and mine shoots marvelous. my best group with mine has been about .6 moa but i feel the gun is still more capable than the shooter at this point.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Been looking at 700 lineup as well.
Ya'll probably have this info, just thought I'd pass along a little of my research.<table border=1>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td> 700 SPS Tac
</td>
<td> 700 XCR Comp Tac
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Barrel
</td>
<td>CM Rem
</td>
<td> SS Rem
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Action
</td>
<td>CM
</td>
<td> SS
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Barrel Length
</td>
<td>20"
</td>
<td> 20" Fluted
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Finish
</td>
<td>BK Oxide
</td>
<td> BK TiNyte
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Stock</td>
<td>BK Houge
</td>
<td> Speckled OD B&C
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Trigger
</td>
<td>X-Mark Pro adj
</td>
<td> 40X adj
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Twist
</td>
<td> 1/12
</td>
<td> 1/12
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Overall Length
</td>
<td>40"
</td>
<td>39 3/4
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Weight
</td>
<td>7.5
</td>
<td>7.5
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Manf #
</td>
<td>84207
</td>
<td>84467
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>MSRP
</td>
<td>$681.00
</td>
<td>$1,407.00
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Street Price
</td>
<td>$550.00
</td>
<td>$1,198.00
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
-Toyz

Is there any difference in the quality of the barrel between the two types?

ToyZ,

A few small problems with your post and/or Remington's spec's:

SPS Tactical does not have a stainless barrel and action, they are CM. The XCR compact has both a stainless barrel and action, TiN coated.

Also although I do not have a SPS to weigh, I have my doubts that they weigh in 7.5 lbs. with a heavy 20" un-fluted barrel. I have both an LTR and a XCR compact, and with 20" fluted barrel and they are close to 7.5 lbs. Maybe the SPS Hogue stock is filled with air, which is possible.

None of this matters much, as the SPS Tactical is still a bargain no matter what it weighs...

Bob

Bob,
I hadnt been tracking action but thats a good idea. Thanks. Corrected the Chrome Moly SPS.
The Rem site does state BK TiNyte for the XCR. Looks to the the same thing.
I was wondering about the weights as well. Both have published 7.5lbs, probably right about the weight difference in the stocks.

Thanks
-Toyz

I would grab you up a LTR, have it bedded and ad Nightforce scope, then you would be GTG. Just my .02. I think the only difference in the LTR and the XCR is the coating on the barrel and the stock. The XCR usally runs about 300 to 400 dollars more, so I would go with the LTR and use that extra 300 or 400 on the glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would grab you up a LTR, have it bedded and ad Nightforce scope, then you would be GTG. Just my .02. I think the only difference in the LTR and the XCR is the coating on the barrel and the stock. The XCR usally runs about 300 to 400 dollars more, so I would go with the LTR and use that extra 300 or 400 on the glass. </div></div>

An new LTR is a good choice, but new right now they are running around $925, and the Mark X trigger still sucks. So figure to add $125. for a Timney, and may be $50 to $75 for a older/used original Remmy Trigger.

I paid just under $900. new for my 308 LTR, about 4 months ago, and added a Timney Nickel Trigger for $135. So my total outlay (less: scope, rings and bases, and Seekins SCR Rail) for the LTR has been about $1035.

My XCR Compact in .223 cost me $1149. delivered. And the 40x trigger is great and does not need replacement. Not really much difference in price vs the LTR in the long run. A few years ago you could buy the LTR for 700 or 800 bones, but not any more....

The SPS tactical runs $550. Add a new HS stock for around $300, a Timney trigger for $125. and your talking $975. complete. You can shave that a bit by buying an older Remmy trigger, and a BC stock (or used HS stock), but your still in the $900 buck range.

The SPS is still the cheapest, and the XCR still the most expensive, but not $300 to $400 more expensive than a LTR.

Those are real world, today new prices. Good shopping, sales, and finding steals in the used gun market, can bring all those costs down a bit. But the price differentials will remain about the same.

Your money your choice...

Bob

I have them both, well at least the XCR LR tactical, with the longer barrel, pretty much the same weapon.

My SPS Tact I have left shoots lights out, Sold the other one to Debo's here and it was a helluva shooter also. My XCR LR also shoots lights out. both platforms were shot using an AICS setup and Leup 6-20 optic. both consistant 1/2" rifles, The SPS has a Xmark trigger, the XCR comes with a 40X trigger, mine breaks low no creep or overtravel, still factory set didnt see the need to mess with it.

Would say for a starter, get the SPS and upgrade as you go.

I have a SPS Tactical and so far i have added a Mc A5 stock + NXS.

Actually, the coating on the XCR rifle is Tungsten Diamond Like Carbon or WDLC. Same coating that Sig Sauer uses on their stainless slides and done by the same vendor - IonBond.

Titanium Nitride would be bright gold.

Both are Physical Vapor Deposition or PVD coatings, though; thin and very hard with similar properties - especially wear. The W DLC has a thin layer of electroless Nickel underneath so it will have better corrosion resistance.

Chui,

Yes, I called it TiN and left out a few letters because I could not remember what the hell they called it. Remington calls it TriNyte PVD. Sig calls their stuff Nitron. Did not know it was the same stuff. Thanks for the info.

Bob

I have an xcr compact tactical, the trigger is great, stainless action and barrel are a big plus as well as a good durable coating. Mine has been very accurate out of the box and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I think the extra dollars are well worth it over the sps or ltr.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've been looking at the 5R as well and I think it might be worth the extra $$$. But I will have to sell another rifle to help fund the project. My wife thought hunting was expensive. I'm gettin in way over my head here but it's too much fun to stop!

I don't have experience with the XCR Compact Tactical, but I bought my fiance a SPS Tactical, and out of the box with Fed GMM ammo she shot a 5 shot .540" CTC group @ 100 yards. I was pretty impressed with the rifle (and her.) The stock is floppy, and it's only free-float so long as you don't put pressure on it. Rest it on a sandbag and it flexes and touches the barrel. Other than that, and the X Mark trigger, it's a great gun for the price.

I have the SPS-T and it has treated me very very well. I had the xmark trigger adjusted down and it is very nice right now. Doesn't compare to some of the other drop in options but very very good for a factory trigger.

The hogue stock leaves something to be desired. It flexes into the barrel with little pressure. This didn't ever seem to effect my shots much but still bothersome. I replaced mine with a B&C Medalist and haven't looked back. Best group was less than .75" at 300 yards (5 shots) but it has never repeated that. It is a very consistant sub moa rifle out to 600 yards and this weekend I plan to stretch it out to 1200 yards. For the price it is a hard rifle to beat. If I had to start over again I'd start with another SPS Tactical in a heart beat.

rem700stockafter01.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the SPS-T and it has treated me very very well. I had the xmark trigger adjusted down and it is very nice right now. Doesn't compare to some of the other drop in options but very very good for a factory trigger.

The hogue stock leaves something to be desired. It flexes into the barrel with little pressure. This didn't ever seem to effect my shots much but still bothersome. I replaced mine with a B&C Medalist and haven't looked back. Best group was less than .75" at 300 yards (5 shots) but it has never repeated that. It is a very consistant sub moa rifle out to 600 yards and this weekend I plan to stretch it out to 1200 yards. For the price it is a hard rifle to beat. If I had to start over again I'd start with another SPS Tactical in a heart beat.

rem700stockafter01.jpg

</div></div>

how did it shoot out to 1000yds?

Why do ya'll hate the X-Mark trigger? I love mine, a little heave from the factory, but broke cleanly. I have adjusted it by myself and a hex-wrench and it is beautiful with probally 1/16" of creep, which I accualy like, lets me know when it is going to go "BOOM".
smile.gif

Walsh, there is a difference between the X-Mark Pro and the Adjustable X-Mark Pro.

The old X-Mark required that you remove it from the stock, remove the sealer and adjust the trigger just like the old-school triggers. The new Adjustable X-Mark adjusts with the included hex wrench with the rifle in the stock.

The old X-Mark would creep out of adjustment even when sealed properly.

The three new LTR's we just received have the new X-Mark. One of our guys who had the rifle at the school I just attended seems to like it. If it will stay at the weight he set it at, then it's all good. If it creeps we will replace them all.

Once you feel an X-Mark, then a properly adjusted pre-2006 trigger, you will see why we hate the X-Mark.

It was one of Remington's biggest steps down. Any X-Mark equipped rifle I buy in the future will get an old-school trigger.

Yea, I have the older trigger that you have to remove the stock to adjust and remove the stuff, it works for me, but I have only put 130 rounds through my rifle in about a year, mabey I haven't used it enough.
smile.gif

I think it was between 100-200 that my trigger began to creep again.

I put anywhere from 100-500 rounds a month through my rifle. If you like it, there is no reason not to stay with it. I just don't like the way the trigger feels and when it went out of adjustment I didn't see any reason to adjust it back.

Well, I only average probally 2-3 rounds a month, so I wish I had the money to get a Jewell, but I need better glass.
smile.gif

the one thing I have not seen mentioned is the finish on the SPS. I would have it duracoated to prevent rust. I did mine right out of the box. A quick degreasing with acetone and ready to spray. The factory coating is a great base coat with the porous texture, but very suseptable to rust if not well cared for.
I think remington has done a great job in offering these 2 rifles, the sps and the xcr compact. You have a do it yourself version, and a ready to run version. If you like the setup of the xcr you can't go wrong, but I would not spend the money on the xcr and start changing things. Run the xcr "as is" or build to your specs from a sps, the cost will be about the same. The only thing left is the xcr will always be stainless underneath.
Rob