• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS-V: AICS or McRee v. McMillan

CornFedHusker

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2005
Huron, SD
I've got an SPS Varmint action in 243 that needs a new stock. I can find a McM A-5 or A3-5 inletted and ready to go for $775 or so. That's using Remmy bottom metal and no bedding. I can get a McRee or AICS 1.5 for something like $800 and not need bedding and get a DM system setup. I like the McMillan stocks, but I have never used or held the AICS or McRee.

Advice?

Re: SPS-V: AICS or McRee v. McMillan

Mac's generaly require bedding and that adds to the total cost along with the cost and fitting of the DBM.

AICS are love / hate they either fit or they don't no middle ground.

The McRee is amazingly adjustable as it sits. If you like the feel of an AR-15 then you will like the feel of the McRee. You can add any after market grip that makes you happy but you'll probably have to cut the top curve off the top to fit it to the stock.

I'd go w/ the McRee, call Scott and he will set you up any way you like and he has mags on hand.

Cheers,

Doc

You probably do really need to find someone who has a McRee or AICS and get your hands on one before you drop that kind of money. It really all boils down to personal preference.

Try JW Precision on here for a bit of a better deal on a McM stock. They will usually need bedding though as previously stated. I own two McMillans, and couldn't be happier with either.

Its going to come down to personal preferance...try to lay hands on as many as you can...I quite like the AICS...

I first had the HS Precision police style stock (Rem 700P). It's an OK stock, there is no real grip as such. the shape is fairly annoying as your master hand slides down on the grip while firing.

Then moved to an AICS 1.5 which was an ENORMOUS step forward IMO. The thumbhole grip allows a straight rearward trigger pull. The added weight combined with a good recoil pad definately help control the rifle.
Good adjustment with the 1.5 stock, cheek height and LOP with spacers.
Metal on metal bedding, wide barrel port up front, no clearance issues. readily available magazines 5 and 10 rounds (SA).
Harris, Atlas and Parker hale bipods all work no worries.
AICS is a very nice stock, however the square fore end isn't very comfortable to lug around, minor details.

Sold that in favour of a McMillan A5 with the thumbwheel adjustable cheek piece from JW Precision. This stock, is 10 times more comfortable to shoot for me personally. Smooth rounded edges, good grip, very natural posture behind the weapon. The vertical grip is what i was after mainly and a rounded fore end.
Mine uses the REM bottom metal which is fine - back to basics, KISS.

I have no experience with the McCree systems but they do look nice. McMillan A5 is GTG. hope this helps

I've traveled alot of miles on the stock highway too, with A-2's, A-3"s, AICS, McCree, AICS, and now back to a Manners T4. There is nothing to me that feels as natural as a vetical grip in an A series McMillan or Manners (T4).