• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spuhr 20 MOA base.

2022tactical

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2022
Tennessee
Good evening gentlemen. Let's start out with what I have so you'll understand where I'm going with my question. I have a Barrett m82 50 bmg, a vortex strike eagle scope. 5x25x56. I would to try shooting 1000 yards at first for awhile then eventually going to one mile. I've done some home work about the scope and it has 110 moa of elevation , which is only 55 moa of height adjustment if I did my homework correct. For the given bullet I'll be using 55 moa is ok for 1000 yards. Not so much for a mile. I looked at the spuhr 20 MOA scope rings to gain an extra 20 MOA's of height adjustment , that will give enough moa adjust to dial the scope for a mile. I'm I on the right track or do I have all of this wrong?

I’ve used the same scope on a 300 WM, I used 20 MOA rings and a 20 MOA rail. Got on steel at 2,000 and still had some left. I’m not familiar with the in Barrett but I’d go for more if you can.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
I’ve been very happy with it. Glass seems pretty clear, easy to use on the 2,000 yard target. Tracks well, I did a tall target test and the tracking was off just a tad over 1%. Handled the recoil of my 300 WM, now on a 300 PRC. Hopefully it will stand up to your 50. I think it’s a good scope for the money.

I thought about using a 50 moa base , but worried the barrel might show up in the scope.
No it wont and if it does just use taller rings i run a 60moa rail with a 38 " barrel and a 5" long tuner brake and use tall rings

Maybe even a 60. With 110 MOA of adjustment on the scope you will still be able to shoot at close ranges if you want to and you will have decent reach. You'd cross over the center of the scope around 1600 yards and top out around 2500 yards.

-Alex
Most scopes have any where from +or- 3-5 moa beyond advertised travel so he might even be able to zero at 100 yards with a 60 moa base .

I think the rail on the M82 has 27 MOA built in already. If so the 20 MOA mount would give you a total of 47 which would be about ideal for that scope.

That’s just under 1/2 of a degree. Probably hard to see that difference, could probably measure it with a caliper.
Yep. If you check the rail too it should have it marked somewhere. The Barrett website advertises a 27 MOA rail as standard, I didn’t see an option for a 0 MOA.

I looked at the rail and sure enough it's a 27 moa, I ordered a 20 MOA mount so I'll have a total of 47 moa, I'm little confused now. If I zero the scope at one hundred yards and using a ballistic app like geoballistic , enter the rifle and bullet information , do I use the moa adjustments the app provides or do I have to subtract my 47 moa from it?

Tengo el mismo visor que usted y le tengo metido la Spuhr de 9 mil, 30´6 moa.
Tengo de pérdida 1´5 mil, o sea, 29,5 mil de poder de corrección.
Tenga en cuenta que si le mete demasiada inclinación al visor será imposible ponerlo a cero cerca. Lo ideal es medir una inclinación no superior a la mitad del rango de ajuste en elevación. Así se asegura cero cercano (100 m/y) y máximo aprovechamiento del ajuste de la mira telescópica.
Y por desgracia no tengo un Barrett en mi casa, calibre prohibido para civiles en España, aunque si lo tengo asignado en el cuartel, algo es algo.

Recalcar también que mas de 30 moa de inclinación a secas puede afectar a la calidad de la óptica, dependiendo de varios temas...

Last edited:
Apparently, I'm the only one who doesn't read Spanish...

Here is a translation from an online source:

I have the same viewfinder as you and I have the Spuhr of 9 thousand, 30'6 moa.
I have a loss of 1.5 thousand, or 29.5 thousand of correction power.
Note that if you tilt the viewfinder too far, it will be impossible to reset it close. Ideally, you should measure an inclination no greater than half of the range of adjustment in elevation. This ensures close zero (100 m/y) and maximum use of the telescopic sight setting.
And unfortunately, I don't have a Barrett in my house, a caliber that's banned for civilians in Spain, although if I have a Barrett assigned to me at the barracks, something is up.

Emphasize also that more than 30 dry tilt moa can affect the quality of the optics, depending on various themes...