• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spuhr is over rated. Prove me wrong

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Price
    Cracked mounting plates
    Causes some scopes to lock up the magnification ring.
    Rare reports of cracked ring top halves.

Buy a set of NightForce. More durable and almost as many Mount options for rails red dots etc. and cheaper.

Last edited:
    The one thing I'll say in favor of Sphur is that they offer a nice variety of built-in angle. The 3 MIL version ended up being perfect for maximizing the available travel of a 7-35x ATACR on an AXMC without getting stupidly-close to the bottom.

Otherwise, yeah, I really like the NF and Badger options.

Never owned one, but they’re the only mount that I know of that recommends rosin for the ring/scope interface, and oil for the mount/rail interface.

Reactions: deersniper
    Overrated? What does that mean. It has unique features, if you want them then get it. If you don't then don't. Never worry over the thoughts/ratings of others. Think only of your own means and how to use them to meet your needs. Waste no time on the opinions of others.

Overrated? What does that mean
    People on this site act like it is the end all be all Cadillac of scope mounts. And that it is better than all the others.

Personal experience proves otherwise

Waste no time on the opinions of others.

Others opinion and experience is helpful most of the time in making decisions on purchases.

It may be the most overengineered piece of kit on any rifle. There is only one "doesn't move". Scope rings/mounting systems are pass fail.

However, I totally believe it is THE best way to mount a scope. I don't use it on .308 bolt faced PRS pussy cartridges. I use it on all my magnum and high recoil rifles, and while I'm sure other scope rings would work fine, I like the bomb proof way a Sphur feels.

Overkill? Yes, but in a good way.

I have been using Seekins PMR's for many years now without an single issue. They have been EXCELLENT. I also really like the MDT one piece mount as well. Its nice, but doesnt do anything different my Seekins/Vortex PMR's dont do...

Funny, I ran my entire rifle over 2 times a few weeks ago with my suv. Unloaded everything in the driveway before backing into the garage.... My son didnt listen and take everything inside like I told him while I took a work call. I came back out and backed the car into the garage, and hit "something" or so I thought, so I pulled the car forward and hit "something" again. Sure enough, I didnt hit shit, I ran my rifle over in its drag bag my son left laying behind the car in the driveway. I thought the worst.

XLR Envy Pro JV Competition chassis, Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 APRS1 MIL, Seekins PMR rings, TL3, Bartlein barrel....... Couldnt find a single thing wrong with it, nothing bent, not a single mark on anything. I was blown away. Took it to the range the next day to see how horrible the zero was off. It stacked 5 shots dead center of POA into a .221" group. If that holds zero I dont know what else will knock it off....haha

they are pricey but everything in this damn hobby is

i cant complain on spending 200$ more on a mount when the scope costs 5k

im not sure if they are better or not (although i have not had a issue with a spuhr yet) then my other mounting options, but they seem to give me a sense of security (misplaced or not)

and for me personally, i need to trust my gear if not i get antsy

Thanks, but I was looking for a reseller other than them since they don’t carry the size I would need
    If they the manufacturer doesn't have the size and you find that size somewhere else, you are looking at a knockoff. If they don't have the size, they don't make it yet.

Jesus Christ, the size I need is out of stock there 🤦🏻‍♂️
    Thanks, but I was looking for a reseller other than them since they don’t carry the size I would need
    I understand now.

"Carry" in terms of stock at a store is more of a reseller that doesn't work with a company or that section of a companies line rather than out of stock. Example trying to get a sccy pistol walking into mile high. Or trying to get vortex at cameralandny.

I have been using Seekins PMR's for many years now without an single issue. They have been EXCELLENT. I also really like the MDT one piece mount as well. Its nice, but doesnt do anything different my Seekins/Vortex PMR's dont do...

Funny, I ran my entire rifle over 2 times a few weeks ago with my suv. Unloaded everything in the driveway before backing into the garage.... My son didnt listen and take everything inside like I told him while I took a work call. I came back out and backed the car into the garage, and hit "something" or so I thought, so I pulled the car forward and hit "something" again. Sure enough, I didnt hit shit, I ran my rifle over in its drag bag my son left laying behind the car in the driveway. I thought the worst.

XLR Envy Pro JV Competition chassis, Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 APRS1 MIL, Seekins PMR rings, TL3, Bartlein barrel....... Couldnt find a single thing wrong with it, nothing bent, not a single mark on anything. I was blown away. Took it to the range the next day to see how horrible the zero was off. It stacked 5 shots dead center of POA into a .221" group. If that holds zero I dont know what else will knock it off....haha

Word.

And Aadlands don’t get 1/10th the acclaim they deserve.

The praise for Spuhr is a little surprising considering the amount and nature of failures that I’ve seen.

Word.

The praise for Spuhr is a little surprising considering the amount and nature of failures that I’ve seen.
    Well that’s because aadland doesn’t market very well. Those that know know, but if you don’t know they exist they are not easy to find

It depends on your setup. If you have a $3,000+ rifle and $2,000+ scope, doesn't it make sense to "overkill" the single connection point between those two precision items? There is also value in just not having to worry about it.

There is a video of THLR missing targets and he tracks it back to "loose mount". And if you watch the video its a Sphur mount.

He wasn't trying to call out sphur, he doesn't even mention the make/model of the mount. The video was just about troubleshooting your system.

The Spur uses 16 different screws, so its a double edge sword.

It depends on your setup. If you have a $3,000+ rifle and $2,000+ scope, doesn't it make sense to "overkill" the single connection point between those two precision items? There is also value in just not having to worry about it.
    Overkill generally doesn’t include the mount breaking or the mount making the scope not work in my opinion.

I have some expensive rifles and scopes lol. No problems with NightForce on everything. Had multiple problems with Spuhr

Word.

I read a few years ago (though I can’t find it now) that the auto brands with the highest customer satisfaction ratings also tended to have the highest number of customer complaints. Why? Because those customers tend to be the most critical, and complain the most frequently and the longest and the loudest. The whole “provide good customer service and they’ll tell their friend. Provide poor customer service and they’ll tell everyone...”

If someone buys $30 rings and they fail, they’ll go buy some $50 rings and call it good. Oh who am I kidding, if you bought $30 rings, you won’t know that they failed. Anyway, it’s a non-issue issue. But, if your $400 mount fails, this is a new-thread-worthy event. And, the guy with the $30 rings isn’t on a precision rifle forum either. And, and the volume of $400 mounts is small relative to $30 rings. The discriminating person that buys a $400 that fails is going to tell SOMEONE. And, and, and they’re on 7 different forums telling the same story.

The measure of a company is not the service when things are going correctly, but the service when things fail.

On a related tangent, why are scopes with integrated mounts not a (mainstream) thing?

A lot of things are "good enough". Not using proper torque, just "pretty tight" is "good enough" for alot of things.

After a few beers the fat chick is "good enough" but Selena Gomez would be alot better.

You're a Savage owner aren't ya?

IMO we are living in a Golden Age of materials, design and manufacturing, and there are many near-perfect choices for scope mounts & rings -- as evidenced by the variety of "XXX 'nuff said" type posts in the thread. And all the competition drives innovation and evolution. Look back 20 years and there is no comparison.

A lot of things are "good enough". Not using proper torque, just "pretty tight" is "good enough" for alot of things.

After a few beers the fat chick is "good enough" but Selena Gomez would be alot better.

You're a Savage owner aren't ya?
    Who you taking to lol

If by good enough you mean scopes in Nightforce rings that get the shit beat out of them for years and work great and hold zero versus spuhrs that break or disable scopes. ?

Sooo

IMO we are living in a Golden Age of materials, design and manufacturing, and there are many near-perfect choices for scope mounts & rings -- as evidenced by the variety of "XXX 'nuff said" type posts in the thread. And all the competition drives innovation and evolution. Look back 20 years and there is no comparison.

People forget that sphur mount is 10 years old design itself...

I have had a Spuhr Mount on a TRG for I don’t know how long. Expensive? Was it worth it? I don’t know but it works and I’ve bee running it for a decade probably with no issues. With that said, I have ARC rings on all my other Precision stuff. That should tell you something. Imo, American Rifle Company makes the best rings on the planet.

Reactions: KYAggie
    I used to use only Seekins or Nightforce rings on my primary rifles, never had issues with either of them.

Bought one Spuhr for a rifle that I needed additional scope cant on, and now I have several Spuhrs... and see both good and bad aspects to their design. I don't consider them to be the best mounts out there, but they do offer a lot of cant choices and versatility for adding extras to them if you need it.

My main reason for liking the Spuhrs is the wide variety of cant angles available to tailor the available elevation left in the scope after zeroing. Some of my rifles have integral rails or there aren't many cant choices in the available rails for them so you're limited in choosing total cant if you’re shooting something you want to max out your usable elevation on. Sure, the Burris Signature Zee rings work and give you several cant options based on combination of inserts, but those inserts can be quite fiddly. They do work though. Never tried an ERA-Tac or any other adjustable mounts.

I do like unimounts... if they're machined properly, they have a better chance of keeping the scope mounting surfaces concentric than separate rings and rails. Also, with a unimount any rail to mount interface mismatch will be isolated in that interface and not transferred into the scope tube-- although quality rings and rails very rarely have issues unless you buy dirt cheap crap quality ones or get a defective piece. Unimounts also make it a bit easier to jump a scope to a different rifle if needed without having to slightly relocate one scope ring-- I've had to do that in the past when slot spacing was just slightly different between rails on different rifles and the recoil lugs on the rings wouldn't quite drop in until I slightly moved one ring.

While I like the look and design of the Spuhrs overall, I do think Hakan got a little crazy in his solid modelling program and filleted, chamfered, and trimmed some areas down way too thin in the name of weight savings and probably cosmetics. IMO a bit of extra material in a few spots would greatly increase strength margins and not increase weight all that much. My hunch must have some merit as later production version Spuhrs have more material in certain areas along with revised bolt spacing leaving more material in the areas I thought were questionable on the earlier versions (notable changes: outboard ring screws have been moved inwards slightly leaving increased wall thickness at the outboard screw counterbores on the ring caps, and the clamp bars now have extra material under and around the clamp screws.)

All but one of my Sphurs have been problem free. However, one of them cracked the clamp bar twice when mounted on the same rifle. Ended up selling that rifle and moved the mount to another rifle and the clamp bar hasn't cracked since, so it was probably an out of spec rail putting excessive stress / bending load on the clamp bar. However, the clamp bar likely would not have cracked if more material was left around the clamp bolts-- the newest version clamp bars do have additional material thickness and edge margin around the screw holes compared to the 2x earlier version clamp bars that cracked on me. Both were replaced under warranty for no charge both times, but IMO something as simple as a clamp bar shouldn't have failed in the first place. If it had cracked at a match or on a hunt it would have been game over. Those cracked clamp bars did make me consider selling and upgrading my earlier version Sphur mounts to the latest versions with additional material, or switching back to standard rings-- probably NF, ARC, or Seekins.

Haven't switched yet though... Don't really feel like spending the money at this point when I haven't had any more problems.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    On a related tangent, why are scopes with integrated mounts not a (mainstream) thing?
    Well, the truth is that while this sounds good when you say it, it is logistically a nightmare and there would be too many variations on a single scope, all with the same power, features, reticle, illum/no illum, etc. take a look at Spurs website for example:

Notice that there are 22 different spur mount options just for their specific 34mm 0/0 mount. The 0/0 mount is just one option of 6 possible Moa angle choices and this is also only for picitinny rails. There are three other rail options

I read a few years ago (though I can’t find it now) that the auto brands with the highest customer satisfaction ratings also tended to have the highest number of customer complaints. Why? Because those customers tend to be the most critical, and complain the most frequently and the longest and the loudest. The whole “provide good customer service and they’ll tell their friend. Provide poor customer service and they’ll tell everyone...”

If someone buys $30 rings and they fail, they’ll go buy some $50 rings and call it good. Oh who am I kidding, if you bought $30 rings, you won’t know that they failed. Anyway, it’s a non-issue issue. But, if your $400 mount fails, this is a new-thread-worthy event. And, the guy with the $30 rings isn’t on a precision rifle forum either. And, and the volume of $400 mounts is small relative to $30 rings. The discriminating person that buys a $400 that fails is going to tell SOMEONE. And, and, and they’re on 7 different forums telling the same story.

The measure of a company is not the service when things are going correctly, but the service when things fail.

I have plenty of $35 rings all holding zero.

Rings either work or they don't. They are moving or solid. There is no in-between.

I'm not spending $400 to mount a $600 scope on a $500 rifle. Maybe if I needed some of the features, but I have no use for them.

I have been carrying around a Mark 5 in leupold backcountry pic rings with a leupold 20moa pic base for a couple years now. Still haven't broken anything. Is it garbage because it doesn't cost enough if it works? I'd rather spend the extra $200+ on the scope itself rather than a simple machined part that is either working or not.

And why would you want an integrated mount? It'll never be right for what you're doing. It'll be too tall, too short, to far forward or backward. There is a real reason we have modularity in our setups now.

What happens when your S&B slips in a spuhr mount? Well you ad rosin after the fact, but it still leaves you unhappy. Cause now you have a little gouge.
    DF480F13-AF94-4530-ACBB-A67D041D1260.jpeg

• Wow
    I'm kind of wondering how much of the problem is also user error.

The instructions that come with the Spuhr mounts don't seem to be the best. I had to learn a few things by emailing and asking them.

One thing they recommend is using wet torque on the ring halves - either with loctite or the factory wax that is put on the screws.