• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spuhr mount AI AE

P3T3R

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2011
Kent, United Kingdom
My AI AE will be here in March, and I plan on using either a S&B 5-25 or S&B 3-20 in a spuhr mount. Now i know that people say the picatinny 30mm height mount puts the scope in the wrong place, but does anyone have a picture of this please just so I can see.

I don't care for the 37mm mount and know someone who can make me a full length uninterrupted picatinny rail on a CNC machine, although it is nice not to have to modify things.

Many thanks Pete.

Re: Spuhr mount AI AE

"The wrong place" is a relative term. It depends on your cheekbones, and where you like your scope to be in relation to your position on the rifle. I have really high cheekbones, so I drop my scopes lower than most people and raise my cheekpiece up to meet it. I had one of the Farrell bases on my previous AE with low rings, which would be even lower than the Spuhr combo.

DSC_0478.jpg

The stock AE rail has weird spacing. If I remember correctly, the Spuhr mount has 3 recoil lugs which preclude its use on the stock AE rail. You'd need to get a pic rail with standard spacing to use a Spuhr.

The reason the AI pic mount works is because it only has 1 recoil lug.

I am running a S&B 5-25 in a Spuhr mount on my MKIII and and while height was not an issue, obtaining proper eye relief was extremely difficult with the AE base as it only allows the Spuhr to be mounted in the far rear position. Wanting to use the Spuhr, I went with a Farrel fully slotted rail in order to get the mount forward and obtain desired eye relief.

US optics makes a true picatinny rail for AE.
So its really not any problems.

All rails that not are fully slotted are not picatinny or Nato rails, they are something else.

Håkan