• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spuhr Mount feedback thread with pictures.

Spuhr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2009
Sweden
www.spuhr.com
Hi Everybody.
As a part of the development of the our scopemount system have been made with opinions of the Snipershide members it would be mostly interesting to hear your opinions now when the first sale have been finnished.

If you have the possibility, it would be very nice if you can put up some picture/pictures of your setup.

My intention is to drive things even further and improve what there can be improved. With your help that shouldent be any problems.
This thread is of course open to both negative and positive feedback and I belive that only feedback can make the mounts even better.

I am also aware that the some of you are upset about the deliverytime and I am really sorry about that.
Its one of the first productionruns with over 20 various models and I simply miscalculated the possibilitys before.

Was the mount system what you expected?
Anything that you think can be improved?
Any features you miss?
Any features that is to much and meaningless?

If anyone not have got our catalog and manual to the mount, please send me a pm or email me at [email protected] and I will email it over straight away.

Lastly here comes some pictures of the mounts, so here is something to start with.

37596_475931444407_680984407_6688300_2166552_n.jpg

37596_475931439407_680984407_6688299_2346770_n.jpg

37367_465816924407_680984407_6430292_5974279_n.jpg

34375_468058004407_680984407_6486115_7472227_n.jpg

34659_472506024407_680984407_6599809_4056622_n.jpg

37572_471374014407_680984407_6567821_2449469_n.jpg

Re: Spuhr Mount feedback thread with pictures.

i'll see if i can get them from the boys. i'll take some and take em soon.

your mounts are being used in at least 4 diferent countries right now that i know of with us

Limited applications availability. Won't work with a USO TPAL.

Sorry Battleaxe and thank you very much for your comment.
But the mount is so far made in 20 various models.
20 Models is really a lot.

Another problem with the Tpal is that the tube in front of the knobs is so short that my rings would not fit there, that means there is not sufficient space for the interfaces.

So currently the Tpal feels like a half impossible scope, at least if the full versattility should be kept, and I belive that mostly users prefers the versatility.

Håkan

No need to apologize. They're a tough scope to fit given their considerable heft. More options are emerging for them all the time and even USO is working on a new one piece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'll see if i can get them from the boys. i'll take some and take em soon.

your mounts are being used in at least 4 diferent countries right now that i know of with us </div></div>

Good to hear Joe! This type of field testing is what it's all about.

Also, since the group buy is complete, we're starting to take regular production orders.

We're going to be putting in another order shortly to SPUHR to fulfill other orders we've had. Email us to get on the new buy list and we will have these on our new web site shortly. Thank you.

Vic

I got my cantilever mount yesterday as well, Very solid and the scope leveling tool is nicely done. Couple of thing to consider:

-If plan on using it on an AR15 with BUIS (TROY) the mount will sit too far forward for the use with some Hand guards (Larue). Not a big deal for me cause this rifle would only see bench use with a PH 3.5-15 on top.

-I noticed the recoil lugs are on the larger side. Fit CMG uppers fine, but a Fulton Armory Upper the lugs would not fit, as well as a My MAK Chassis rail was very tight, but got it to go.

Will post pictures of the mount tonight.

CIMG0007-1.jpg

CIMG0006-1.jpg

ETA: Unless I missed it somewhere I have been unable to find Torque specs.

I received my mount yesterday. I am using these in a new featured build for my chassis. I am very pleased with them. They are robust yet light. Looks like a lot of thought went into them. I will post completed pics when the build is done. Thanks guys!

Spuhr001-1.png

Are there any plans to make just rings to be used in pairs not in a unimount?

If so, why wouldn't these work with the T-Pal. The tube in front of the center turret section of my scope is 1.75". Would the rings be longer than that?

Great looking product, by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any plans to make just rings to be used in pairs not in a unimount?

If so, why wouldn't these work with the T-Pal. The tube in front of the center turret section of my scope is 1.75". Would the rings be longer than that?

Great looking product, by the way. </div></div>

Håkan has already created these. I'm sure he can give more info, but they are on the Spuhr website. http://www.spuhr.com/

Here is a quick link to just the pic:
Sniper/Marksman Sight Rings-- http://www.spuhr.com/images/smsr01.jpg

Is there a 35mm version of this mount? My next scope will probably be a Vortex Razor or IOR.

Hi

CJgemm
Can you explain more detailed what would be the problem with Troy? I dont get it.

The dimension of the recoillug is an interesting thing, and I hope this can lead to a discussion.
The current dimension is within the picatinny and Nato standard, and some rails are not within the standard.
Should I change our dimensions so the mounts fits to rails that not are made within the 1913 standard?
At the same time there is a lot of people who wants the recoil lug as big as possible for stability and repetability.
So what way to go? tiny and one siize fits all, or sturdy tight fit and and some out of spec rails will get problems?
I am all open to change here, my opionion is not fixed.

propulsionclimbing
There will be made first trial batches of 10 mounts each pretty sson of separate rings. They will be made 30 and 34 mm and 1" high.

The problems with the Tpal was the length of the knob housing, and not the main tube.
The Tpal housing is longer than any of the current mounts.

Håkan

Hello Hakan,

Your mount is a work of art!
Do you have any torque specs for the rail screws and the ring cap screws?

Thank you very much.

Len

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Can you explain more detailed what would be the problem with Troy? I dont get it.

Håkan </div></div>

Easier to post pictures

CIMG0010.jpg

CIMG0011.jpg

With the Troy rear BUIS, the mount must sit further forward than attended. Depending what type of hand guard you have up front is where the issue arises.

good thread, been using my mount for a couple of months now on the AW, adjustment from replacing the original AI mount to the Spuhr was 0,1 mils on windage, shot from 300 meters so it seems everything was straight both before and after the replacement!
wink.gif

When it comes to Torque the teoretical value for the screws used are 20 inchpounds for the rings and 50 inchpounds for the sidescrews.
However I intend to come back on this subject later when I did some more reseach.
I don't think anyone would be able to destroy anything on the mounts. The 7075 aluminium is extremely tough.

Håkan

Are the scope rings available for sale?

My quick review and two cents. First thoughts are that the mount is very nice, well made and provides a lot of grip and options for the weight. The leveling tool appears to have worked well, I'll likely double check it just to be sure, but the concept is definitely an improvement over anyone else's current options I've seen. I like the mount, but I would like to see some changes, it's not quite perfect for me....but it's got the potential to be.

Pros -
Great gripping power - Even without the screws tightened you could feel the scope was hard to turn, move, etc.

Lots of options - For mounting other goodies, this is a con too, stay tuned.

Height - Some might not like the height, with my Surgeons it's great, room for a BC cap which sometimes a 1" ring won't allow. All my rifles have adj cheeks so no big deal.

Cons -

BIG CON - Won't work on the AIAE MkII picatinny rail. Since with the screws and lug it's effectively got 5 lugs on the thing and the MkII rail is an interrupted rail, there is only one place that it will sit. This puts the scope way too far back for any eye relief. For the MkII users I'd say this mount is a no go!

Price - It's expensive. It's probably worth it if you want/need to hang a bunch of stuff off your scope, but for the average shooter that just wants a good set of rings to go on a 20 moa rail, then this isn't likely for you.

Big 6 screw rings - Those monster gripping rings don't leave much front to back adjustment, you can see that on the Hensoldt there's a ridge just forward and aft of the turrets. There's very little front to back wiggle room on where you mount the scope. These rings grip well, I think that some 4 screw rings and little oversized would provide plenty of gripping surface.

Features - All those features and options are part of the "price con". I'd really like to see the mount with 4 screw rings front and back, maybe a spot for an angle indicator and the built in level. For those of us that don't have/need night vision, a red dot on a bolt rifle and all the other goodies there are a lot of threaded holes that I know are adding to the cost. If this mount could get down closer to the $275 range I'd own them on all my rifles, for now I'll likely be limited to one or two.

Instructions? - Given the cost of these mounts I'd expect at least a half page sheet giving torque specs and some idea how to use the leveling tool. Both were easy to figure out and I know LL did a video....but this is a $390 mount and the little touches are what counts at this price point.

All in all I do like it, I'll be keeping it and likely picking up another one, but I sure would like to see the AIAE MkII issue addressed (not sure if that can be fixed) and I'd like to see a lower cost version without all the bells and whistles so that I can use them on more rifles.

10ndrat.jpg

2r73psp.jpg

Great writeup!

Bear in mind that this mount was designed for use with military forces putting a great deal of stress on the gear while testing, so as you say - it's probably not what average Joe needs on his rifle, but a neat touch for us who has opted to go with military grade rifles, optics etc!
wink.gif

What differs on the AIAE Mk.2 compared to the AI AW with picatinny?

Jason K
Great review I really appreiciate it.

Manual is availible, drop me an email ([email protected])
, and I will email it back to you.
It was simply a miss that it wasent shipped togeter with the mount, I am very sorry for that.

Picatinny rail issue
We have made two various solutions for the picatinny rail.
Those mounts that are "low" 30mm/1,18" are with the half screw down the rail. Unfortunately a must as there is no space above the rail.

Those mounts that are higher 37mm /1,5" have the screws fully contained in the mount and thus only one recoillug down in the picatinny rail.
That said, if the rail are a picatinny rail, its not a problem.
If the rails not follows picatinny standards, there might be a problem.

154899_10150126618774408_680984407_7972109_7891773_n.jpg

150201_10150126619404408_680984407_7972113_404186_n.jpg

Another future solution for this is the separate rings I am working on, and we will make 10set of each now (30mm and 34mm). We will only make 10 of each in the first trial batch.
A good thing about the separate rings are that they will be 1" high, but the bad thing is obvisuly that the wedge for the rotation will not work there and that normal scope indexing methods ahve to be used instead.

4 screw rings.
It will be considered.
There are both good and bad things about it, one of the good things are of course that you have more movement for the scope.
There is then a number of not so good things as well such as all the intefaces will dissapear.

With over 20 models in production all ready, more models is not exactly what we need right now but your opinions will defintely be considered.

Pricerange
The price of the mount is definitely where it is due to the production costs. The choise to go with 7075 T651 prevents extrusion, and also the number of models in various heights and tilts also prevents extrusions.
The only real option as I see it is machining in 5 axis machinery and that is costly.
However I belive that the quality is so much improved by not using extrusions and keeping to the 7075 quality.
It makes it easy to keep a relatively low weigth combined with a high strengt.

I am absolutely anal aboth not having things made in Asia, and all those products are made locally here in Sweden.

For all of us who get custom rifles and very good scopes the 400 dollar range on the mount is still not that much compared to the rest of the gun.
Last, its important to not look at the mount as a scopemount.
Becuase it is a scope mount system.
For those who mount their scopes on guns with dedicated rails, such as TRG and AI, the savings of 150 dollar in not having to buy a picatinny rail must be considered.
Same with the anti cant device, those costs normally around 30-50 dollars, that is also included.
Possibilitys in the future for mounting assesories is maybe not what you think about as you not are used to it, however I am pretty sure that when you have the little rail, and suddenly have the need for illumination, secondary sight or whatever you will use it.

Håkan

PS Again, I very much appreiciate your opinions and your time to write it

Hakan or anyone else- Can I get a pic of how far BACK on the rifle that you can get a Hensoldt on a TRG and/or an AW? I have the opposite problem as Jason, I can never seem to get a scope far enough BACK to establish proper eye relief.

Hakan,

I should have noted, it's not your fault that it won't work on the AIAE MkII (not sure about the AW). I'm not sure why AI chose to not make their rail a std. pic rail, but instead left out a few grooves....for those not familiar, here's a pic from the internet.

AIAEMK220inch3.JPG

Here is a few pictures for how much movement there is.

First my normal position, where I prefers my scope.
148418_10150127111939408_680984407_7980732_4369419_n.jpg

Most rearward position with full mount to gun contact.
150355_10150127111984408_680984407_7980733_2042934_n.jpg

Most extreme forward position.
74402_10150127112029408_680984407_7980735_5086372_n.jpg

Apart from those, there is a number of positions in betwen.

BM11, is this enogh rearward or do you need more?
Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Håkan </div></div>I think I could use a bit more. I think I have a comparable amount right now, and it definitely isn't far enough back for me:
IMAG0164.jpg

Actually, in analyzing, it looks like your Bender is about .5 inches more rearward, which would be a help, assuming both scopes were the same (not a safe assumption to make.)

BM11
I measured from the rear of the okular and forward to where the 34mm goes over to objective, its 9,05", and as far as I know that is the same distance as for the Hensoldt 4-16
So you are surely saving betwen 1/2-1"

Regards Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Håkan </div></div>I think I could use a bit more. I think I have a comparable amount right now, and it definitely isn't far enough back for me:
IMAG0164.jpg

</div></div>

Have you ever shot that rifle sitting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, in analyzing, it looks like your Bender is about .5 inches more rearward, which would be a help, assuming both scopes were the same (not a safe assumption to make.)</div></div>

Get a 0 moa cantilever mount and use it backwards.

Here are my two darlings. TRG-22 with SuB 4-16x50 and Oberland OA-15 20'' with Trijicon 1-4 and an Aimpoint T-1. I was a bit worried that the cantilever mount should be bulky on the AR but it's not. Not IRL anyway. We put the T-1 as a secondary sight just for testing. That rifle is mostly used for IPSC, and I don't really see a need for a secondary sight as the Trijicon goes down to 1x. But if you never test you never know. The position of the Aimpoint is pretty good för shooting with the rifle at 45°. A dedicated mount on the picatinny would have placed the sight slightly closer to the bore axis but from a ergonomical point of view it's good and you can maintain cheekweld when using it.

Apologies for somewhat dark and unsharp images, the winter came today here in southern Sweden today and I had to take the photos inside.

IMG_8282.jpg

IMG_8291.jpg

IMG_8301.jpg

IMG_8305.jpg

/ Peter

Peter,

where did you get that bi-pod spigot? Did Håkan make that for you? I'm hoping someone comes out with something like that for the masses.

Nice looking AR. I hadn't planned on putting one of these on my ARs, but that Trijicon in that mount looks great.

SFT

Thought we would show the new Cantilever SPUHR mounted on a new Bravo Company SPR Build.

Our new web site is going live in a few weeks where we will show all the mounts and start stocking them for sale.

As Hakan ramps up for production, all the mounts will not be available immediately from us, but they're coming. Thanks guys.

Vic

ISMS_Cant_5.jpg

ISMS_Cant_8.jpg

ISMS_Cant_7.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFTexan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peter,
where did you get that bi-pod spigot? Did Håkan make that for you? I'm hoping someone comes out with something like that for the masses.

Nice looking AR. I hadn't planned on putting one of these on my ARs, but that Trijicon in that mount looks great.

SFT</div></div>

It's a spigot Håkan made for himself years ago. It's a one-off since he's not entirely satisfied (he is a proper perfectionist) with the technical solution so he won't be doing any more. Or so he says, maybe only to make me shut up. Finally after years of asking I got his, when he upgraded his chassis.

Thanks for the compliment. The Trijicon in the SPUHR mount feels seriously solid. If everything else fails, that scope is still going to be there. Bomb-proof. Maybe overkill for a light scope on an IPSC-rifle, but for a my long-range AR (when I get it started) it will be perfect.

/ Peter

I've PM'd a couple of times with Hakan... because I think these mounts are just beautifully done and I would love to run one on my TRG. The rub is... I shoot a T-Pal USO and it's a bit wide at the center block for the stock Spuhr mount.

To do a 'run' of mounts for a USO T-Pal, Hakan said that he needs to have 10 firm orders... anything less than a run of 10 and it's economically unfeasible, which is totally understandable. That's actually a pretty short run for a major modification. So his being able to do a run of just 10 is fantastic.

Soooooo... Are there 9 other TRG shooters out there with USO 30mm T-Pal scopes who are willing to step up and place a firm order with deposit?

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Have you ever shot that rifle sitting? </div></div>No, I have practiced it though, and the eye relief is about right for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Get a 0 moa cantilever mount and use it backwards. </div></div>I like your thinking!

I would also like to run one of these systems on a T-pal. Unfortunately, mine is a 34mm tube, and I am running it on a pic. rail. If there are any buyers out there that would want a 34mm T-Pal, pic. rail set up, make yourselves known and let's see if we can get 10 together.

Here is a couple of photos I took of Peters gun.
As the angles are a bit different I tought that there maybe is an interest to see them.

Most likely will the future mounts be made about 1" shorter at the rear extended part to accomodate for the BUIS.
Still i think its good to grip the rail over a fairly long distance to really get a maximum secured grip

Håkan
154441_10150126308139408_680984407_7967202_6997255_n.jpg

155038_10150126307084408_680984407_7967192_7629451_n.jpg

154481_10150126309199408_680984407_7967206_962806_n.jpg

74796_10150126305619408_680984407_7967183_6484704_n.jpg

Maybe the owner of Spuhr could tell me where my mount is that I ordered and paid for in advance in the group buy???? Victor seems to be out of comms as I have tried calling and PMing him for weeks now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe the owner of Spuhr could tell me where my mount is that I ordered and paid for in advance in the group buy???? Victor seems to be out of comms as I have tried calling and PMing him for weeks now.

</div></div>

Not out of comms and your Cc you have provided has NOT been charged according to our billing Dept. We do NOT charge until we ship. We have 7 other folk still awaiting the 30mm/20MOA mounts.

Sometimes emails or a phone call would be best instead of PM's here for immediate response. The 30mm/20moa are still not complete from SPUHR and we are awaiting their ETA. Thank you.

There will be made first trial batches of 10 mounts each pretty sson of separate rings. They will be made 30 and 34 mm and 1" high.

Håkan </div></div>
How can we get in on the first batch? anyway to preorder?

Does anyone actually have any of the sphur mounts in stock in the US?

Tnvc have some mounts in stock, in Sweden we have plenty of mounts. ( some models are under producktion)
Within two weeks we have NeXT batch ready.
So far its above 20 models in production.

Håkan

With your mounts, which heights are needed to clear the ITRS rail with a Leupold 6.5-20X50mm ERT on a SAKO TRG-22?

Thanks,
Stefan

The standard mount for TRG is 35mm/1,38" for both 30 and 34mm.
That will not clear the ITRS, but we have a 44mm/1,73" mount as well that definitely clears it.
But that mount is only made in 34mm.

Are you going to mount the scope on the oringal rail or on picatinny?

Håkan

I already have it mounted on the picatinny rail but I would probably mount it on the original rail if I changed it.

The picatinny mounts are 30mm/1,18" for the low mount, and 37mm/1,5" for the higher.
Likely will the higher mount clear well.

Personally I have a hard time to understand the point about having a picatinny rail on TRG or AI. Really love the solution with a rail machined in one piece with the action

Håkan

Email sent requesting a catalog for my TRG 42 mounts (no pic rail).