• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spuhr vs others for Tangent theta 5-25

Misfit_

The Crimson Ghost
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2019
So I purchased a used 5-25 and now I’m needing a mount or rings. Scope is going on a impact action in a foundation stock.

I’ve always thought spuhr was one of the best but that’s been years ago and I’ve been really behind the times. This is my first high end scope and rifle so I’d like to do this right the first time.

I’m looking for recommendations on which scope rings or mount people are running nowadays for the Tangent. Is spuhr still relevant even after they got bought out by cz/colt? Is there a new top dog? And what’s thoughts on rings vs unimounts.

Spuhr is still relevant and a good product but others out there now too like the ARC M Brace, which would be my first choice, MPA and MDT all have excellent mounts. All depends on what you want or need.

And rings still work just fine also.

Why are one piece mounts made? Is it to keep the scope from flexing due to a misaligned scope base/top of receiver? I thought I heard that from a podcast with Hakan. Maybe I'm wrong.

A good bit of info from that interview with Hakan was to lube the bottom of your scope rings where it makes contact with the rail. He said it helps the mount settle properly onto the rail after you torque it down. There was an issue he ran into with his aluminum mount on an aluminum base. He said aluminum on aluminum causes a lot of friction and wasn't allowing the scope mount to settle properly on the base. With the scope mount in that condition, if the scope or mount was hit with something, it would cause a zero shift.

For what it's worth, I was looking to buy a Badger C1 Max mount.

The badger max mount looks like a pretty decent one.

So many options I guess you honestly couldn’t go wrong with any.

A good bit of info from that interview with Hakan was to lube the bottom of your scope rings where it makes contact with the rail. He said it helps the mount settle properly onto the rail after you torque it down. There was an issue he ran into with his aluminum mount on an aluminum base. He said aluminum on aluminum causes a lot of friction and wasn't allowing the scope mount to settle properly on the base. With the scope mount in that condition, if the scope or mount was hit with something, it would cause a zero shift.

Never ran into that problem and been using aluminum rings since 2005. Maybe something specific to his mount but not as a general statement.

Never ran into that problem and been using aluminum rings since 2005. Maybe something specific to his mount but not as a general statement.
That's certainly possible. I've yet to have an issue either, but it's insurance and doesn't hurt anything.

That's certainly possible. I've yet to have an issue either, but it's insurance and doesn't hurt anything.
Doesn't help anything either unless maybe if you are using a Spuhr and then it would be like rosin.

I’d go with a mount that doesn’t have a history of
Breaking side bars
Binding up scopes
Etc

Zico and nightforce are my preference. I wouldn’t turn down the Geiselle or the new badger either

Last edited:
I’d go with a mount that doesn’t have a history of
Breaking side bars
Binding up scopes
Etc
Which mount is this??? definitely want to avoid it,

Right now im looking at the Badger, tier 1, Hawkins

Which mount is this??? definitely want to avoid it,

Right now im looking at the Badger, tier 1, Hawkins

When people attach the messenger and not the message . .. .

Reactions: Misfit_

When people attach the messenger and not the message . .. .
good little read, I'm not particularly attached to spuhr by any means. last time I looked at them was several years ago and at the time they were the new hotness. obviously other companies have came out with far better things. there is so many options now I kinda get lost in it all.

Reactions: BurtG
So I purchased a used 5-25 and now I’m needing a mount or rings. Scope is going on a impact action in a foundation stock.

I’ve always thought spuhr was one of the best but that’s been years ago and I’ve been really behind the times. This is my first high end scope and rifle so I’d like to do this right the first time.

I’m looking for recommendations on which scope rings or mount people are running nowadays for the Tangent. Is spuhr still relevant even after they got bought out by cz/colt? Is there a new top dog? And what’s thoughts on rings vs unimounts.
With that combo, Hawkins scope mount is the way to go as proven by most of OK shooters.

Any quality mount will work. I've used spuhr exclusively since getting into high end optics. I like them. My next mount will be a Hawkins mount as they are local to me and I like the folks at Hawkins. They're good people.

I've had Spuhr mounts that I know I've moved around and torqued probably a hundred times and never broken a clamp bar or had one crack. I suppose if you don't torque it properly or put it on some fucked up rail that anything is possible though.

I did have a ring cap crack once and know a couple other people who had the same thing happen. All were the old style caps though before the redesign and to be fair I was using the scope objective as a carry handle for an 18lbs rifle, so....

For AR's I like the Badger CROM a lot. For a bolt gun though about the only thing I'd maybe consider would be that new Seekins mount.

Any quality mount will work. I've used spuhr exclusively since getting into high end optics. I like them. My next mount will be a Hawkins mount as they are local to me and I like the folks at Hawkins. They're good people.
Literally just got off the phone with Hawkins, the salesman was so pleasant and helpful I ended up just buying the one piece mount from them just now lol.

Ended up making a phone call to Hawkins to just get a few questions answered, by the end of the call I had my credit card out. Salesman was so pleasant and helpful, he must have worked at Chick-fil-A at one point or another 😂

Thank you all that replied. This won’t be the last rifle I build so I’ll definitely try another mount next time…. Maybe

Reactions: CSTactical
Wait, what is this Spuhr interface cap for the alpha mount? Where does on see this at?

I have 2 of the alpha mounts.
80FCBDB0-2145-44FA-AFAE-EAED5E368FB2.jpeg

@Lowlight just released a video the other day of the Seekins mount, it looks pretty slick. I'd be interested to see a comparison of the Badger Ordnance max vs the Seekins.

Going to have to wait a little while before the Seekins hits the streets. It's a mid year time frame per Glen.

Glad you picked up a mount. I got away from rings as my taste for scopes got more expensive. Hard to justify 3 to 4k per scope per rifle so with a Mount I just mount the scope to it then move the mount from one rig to my hunting rig, and rezero. Can’t do that with rings.

Glad you picked up a mount. I got away from rings as my taste for scopes got more expensive. Hard to justify 3 to 4k per scope per rifle so with a Mount I just mount the scope to it then move the mount from one rig to my hunting rig, and rezero. Can’t do that with rings.

Yes you can. Have done it for decades.

Reactions: Secant
Going to have to wait a little while before the Seekins hits the streets. It's a mid year time frame per Glen.
Yeah that seems to be the general consensus for about all of those companies. I could not find one video on the BO max mount, that’s main reason I didn’t go with that first.

Arc, Arc, and Arc, that's all I'm using now for rings and mounts.

Yes you can. Have done it for decades.
Glad you can… not my cup of tea. Perhaps I’m just lazy. Once my scope is level to my mount and primary rifle for that scope I just move the scope and mount together when I take a new rifle from the safe. I like having one piece of metal supporting my scope. With rings if you don’t loosen the rings from the scope each time you move it to a new rail there’s potential that both the individual lugs for each ring aren’t butted against a lug. That’s probably cool and all, but when shooting or banging my rifle on shit why not have the peace of mind of having it in one mount? I mean sure a single mount with multiple lugs may also only have one lug that’s actually butt against a lug in the rail but at least now I have the full rail of the mount to tension against the rail. Additionally the mount takes all the force because the scope is mounted to that one piece 🤷🏼‍♂️

Glad you can… not my cup of tea. Perhaps I’m just lazy. Once my scope is level to my mount and primary rifle for that scope I just move the scope and mount together when I take a new rifle from the safe. I like having one piece of metal supporting my scope. With rings if you don’t loosen the rings from the scope each time you move it to a new rail there’s potential that both the individual lugs for each ring aren’t butted against a lug. That’s probably cool and all, but when shooting or banging my rifle on shit why not have the peace of mind of having it in one mount? I mean sure a single mount with multiple lugs may also only have one lug that’s actually butt against a lug in the rail but at least now I have the full rail of the mount to tension against the rail. Additionally the mount takes all the force because the scope is mounted to that one piece 🤷🏼‍♂️

Again not true. I use picitinny rails and they are to spec and you can move scopes from one to the other and the lugs are settled in just fine. I have flown all over the country to matches like this and no issues. You are worrying about what might happen and not what does happen. I use mounts too and they work fine also but rings are not the the issue if there is a problem moving it from one rifle to another.

The problem with Badger is their sporadic availability and endlessly frustrating accessory situation. It’s better now for the standard C1 line than anytime in the past three years, but the C1 MAX accessory rings are only just going to hit the streets this quarter in 30/34mm. 35 and 36? Fuck knows. The C1 Max also doesn’t play well with earlier accessories like the level, it’s sort of a clusterfuck IMO.

It’s a shame the Seekins isn’t projected til summer if that’s true. I was hoping to have one to try by the time my next 36mm tube showed up.

So what was the actual spec that you picked up? What cant and how tall? Are satisfied or would you change anything?
I am getting the same TT525P and curious on your experience

The problem with Badger is their sporadic availability and endlessly frustrating accessory situation. It’s better now for the standard C1 line than anytime in the past three years, but the C1 MAX accessory rings are only just going to hit the streets this quarter in 30/34mm. 35 and 36? Fuck knows. The C1 Max also doesn’t play well with earlier accessories like the level, it’s sort of a clusterfuck IMO.

It’s a shame the Seekins isn’t projected til summer if that’s true. I was hoping to have one to try by the time my next 36mm tube showed up.
I had no problem with getting mine including the bitchin accessories...hmm