• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SPUHR vs. RRS mounts

remington patriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2013
North Florida
SPUHR is known as one of the best scope mounts I know of. Really Right Stuff makes some nice tripods and now they are getting into the scope mount game. The RRS mounts look nice and are a premium price. How do the RRS mounts stack up to the SPUHR mounts?

I just bought the RRS 0MOA to hold my new Minox ZP5. The rifle has built in 20 MOA rail, so I didnt need any cant on the base. I can't add much to this discussion because I've never owned a SPUHR. I'm really curious to see how the elliptical rings on the RRS hold up over time. I suspect I wont be able to draw any conclusions for a few more years.

Knowing RRS via their camera gear, they will likely be a major player in the scope mount market in short order. Something to also be aware of, the owners are good, decent, conservative folks, worthy of my business, at least.

Knowing RRS via their camera gear, they will likely be a major player in the scope mount market in short order. Something to also be aware of, the owners are good, decent, conservative folks, worthy of my business, at least.

This. The fact that their products are top-tier quality with true elegance of design would make RRS my choice if I were in the market for such a mount.

I have a spuhr mount and really like it. A few things I see that you give up with the RRS mount is they look to only have one ring height of 1.5, plus with the spuhr you can attach numerous attachments to the mount whether that's import to you is your call. I have a RRS tripod and several rifle mounts, exc. there's no doubt that it is top tier quality. i believe the fit and finish of both would be excellent and I guess you'd have to decide if any of the things I mentioned makes a difference either way.

With the RRS being only 1.5" in height , its too high for my needs. Waiting on the 1.25 option. I have their TVC 34L and other products and RRS makes great stuff, so does Hakan. I own 6 spuhr mounts - all are excellent - i dont own any other brand

Spuhr has an annoying amount of Torx screws and looks..."functional" if you catch my meaning. I have several and like them, but will look to another solution in the future.

SPUHR makes excellent mounts and rings. Never had a single issue with the four or five I've had now. The leveling key is awesome. Levels are replaceable. Accessory options and spacers galore. It's pricey but it will do anything you want it to.

If you want a cheaper mount buy a NF or Badger one piece.

One feature I like about the Spuhr is the leveling wedge. Makes lining things up super easy.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

One feature I like about the Spuhr is the leveling wedge. Makes lining things up super easy.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

Hey Covert;

Did you see where RRS now has a "flat wedge" and wedge scope leveling set ? Jeez, it's so simple, why didn't someone think of that before ? Similar to Spuhr system (also excellent). Cool thing is that it's (RRS) portable ($30.00, IIRC).

To the folks @ RRS;

I'd suggest rounding out your line of 30mm and 34mm mounts, particularly the mount height before you embark on QD style. I'd be willing to bet that QD mounts are 5 to 10% of the available market. There's a ton of 30mm and 34mm scope customers out there, looking for good, stout, rugged, understated mounts. I think that is where the majority of the market is right now. I had a really nice QD mount from a company in Texas, but I developed the Heebie jeebies about having my $3k Minox ZP5 sitting there, ripe for the picking. And, not to mention, there's an on going brouhaha about RTZ capabilities with QDs. I presently have Spuhr 4006s and couldn't be happier. Your mount at 1.5" height resembles an elegant Spuhr. I think you guys are on the right track, stay the course and round out the heights for both tube diameters.

Last edited:
Hey Covert;

Did you see where RRS now has a "flat wedge" and wedge scope leveling set ? Jeez, it's so simple, why didn't someone think of that before ? Similar to Spuhr system (also excellent). Cool thing is that it's (RRS) portable ($30.00, IIRC).

To the folks @ RRS;

I'd suggest rounding out your line of 30mm and 34mm mounts, particularly the mount height before you embark on QD style. I'd be willing to bet that QD mounts are 5 to 10% of the available market. There's a ton of 30mm and 34mm scope customers out there, looking for good, stout, rugged, understated mounts. I think that is where the majority of the market is right now. I had a really nice QD mount from a company in Texas, but I developed the Heebie jeebies about having my $3k Minox ZP5 sitting there, ripe for the picking. And, not to mention, there's an on going brouhaha about RTZ capabilities with QDs. I presently have Spuhr 4006s and couldn't be happier. Your mount at 1.5" height resembles an elegant Spuhr. I think you guys are on the right track, stay the course and round out the heights for both tube diameters.

Threadcutter, thank you for the insights! We do love our scope leveler. We wanted to make it for the folks who buy our rings but also to use on their other rifles without our rings. We made it so it could mount securely on either ours or in the picatinny sections of your rifles scope base.
We are definitly expanding our ring sizes and heights before going into the quick release version. I was just putting that out there as some future info for consumer interest.
We wanted to make our rings elegant like our tripods. Not all of our rifles our tactical monsters, so we wanted the lines to match the craftsmanship of some of our more custom rifles that are almost as fun to look at as they are to shoot.
Any more suggestions on improvements, please send them over! Thanks guys.

Reactions: jwood1284
I ran the RRS rings hard this past month.

I attended both the Sniper's Hide Team Challenge with them and took the rifle to Alaska with me.
19420857_10155422973057953_5388019572491608115_n.jpg?oh=457189763c34712d7d17d48bd06c6fb1&oe=59...jpg
19030336_1467191066637745_5234864249339711394_n.jpg?oh=25244acc9fa43472e31cf274da9932dc&oe=59E...jpg

They are definitely a viable option out there. Especially if you don't plan on mounting other devices to the rings. I know more options are on the horizon, but these are very good no nonsense rings.

The small lip in the ring cap helps index it, you get a leveling tool much like the Spuhr but a bit more universal as it's not built into the rings.

Size, weight, and ring spacing are all good.

Seen above with a S&B Ultra Short 3-20x

Attachments

• SH_HD_AICoville-1.jpg
    SH_HD_AICoville-1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 19221617_1474281662595352_1171923155417639699_o.jpg?oh=633ab22b2d55b771bb6c5b792f98afce&oe=5A0...jpg
    19221617_1474281662595352_1171923155417639699_o.jpg?oh=633ab22b2d55b771bb6c5b792f98afce&oe=5A0...jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: jwood1284
I think i am going to replace the DT mount with the RRA ....

Well what you know , the 40MOA version I need is Out of Stock ... RRS folks - when will the 40 be back in stock?

I ran the RRS rings hard this past month.

I attended both the Sniper's Hide Team Challenge with them and took the rifle to Alaska with me.

They are definitely a viable option out there. Especially if you don't plan on mounting other devices to the rings. I know more options are on the horizon, but these are very good no nonsense rings.

The small lip in the ring cap helps index it, you get a leveling tool much like the Spuhr but a bit more universal as it's not built into the rings.

Size, weight, and ring spacing are all good.

Seen above with a S&B Ultra Short 3-20x

That looks like a very long (too long?) ultra short Frank - sure its not the 5-45 SB?

Well what you know , the 40MOA version I need is Out of Stock ... RRS folks - when will the 40 be back in stock?

Sorry about that. Yeah the 40moa is most definitly out of stock. They are a short run item, I'll update this post when they come out but don't hold your breathe for to long!
We are first gearing up the machines for the 1.26", 0 and 20moa 34mm before we get into the 40 moa in either size.

Not trying to derail, but another great option is the Aadmount from Aadland Engineering. I have two of these and they are of exceptional quality. Excellent machine work and they lock up rock solid. Their select-a-slope mount gets you to 50MOA if you desire. Only downside is as stated before they are all 1.45" to the optic center line.

One little detail RRS included is a register for the caps to locate into when assembled. Of course the cap on any scope will be properly centered side to side by the scope tube but there can be a slight (inconsequential) mismatch fore and aft. The RRS cap is always going to line up perfectly. It's a nice touch, even if it is unnecessary.

One little detail RRS included is a register for the caps to locate into when assembled. Of course the cap on any scope will be properly centered side to side by the scope tube but there can be a slight (inconsequential) mismatch fore and aft. The RRS cap is always going to line up perfectly. It's a nice touch, even if it is unnecessary.

This is a nice touch by RRS. Their mount looks very "clean". I am sure it is just as robust as the SPUHR just different. May have to give it a look. I looked on their site and I though they made a 1.25 height mount but all I see is the 1.50.

This is a nice touch by RRS. Their mount looks very "clean". I am sure it is just as robust as the SPUHR just different. May have to give it a look. I looked on their site and I though they made a 1.25 height mount but all I see is the 1.50.

If you look at post #6 RRS mentions the next mount will be the 1.25" option. That post was from 4 days ago so I'm guessing they have yet to be released. I was researching Spuhr mounts when I happened upon this thread. I'm going to wait for the 1.25" height option to be released from RRS as I also like the "clean" look. Plus, RRS seem like really good people.

If you look at post #6 RRS mentions the next mount will be the 1.25" option. That post was from 4 days ago so I'm guessing they have yet to be released. I was researching Spuhr mounts when I happened upon this thread. I'm going to wait for the 1.25" height option to be released from RRS as I also like the "clean" look. Plus, RRS seem like really good people.

I have been waiting on the 1.25 for a good six months (if you look at their docs it was mentioned when they first launched the mount). The problem is , if RRS doesnt have it when i need it, i just go get a spuhr. And so far that has been the case every time. I love RRS but we shooters need our stuff when we need it - we are not one to wait for 6 months, when an equivalent or better option is available.

Reactions: straightandtrue
Craigos,
You are completely correct sir! We work on our products for a very long time before release. I do apologize for that. They are in the works but I still can not give a date for the release. There are a bunch of reasons for this but none of them should matter to you guys.

I will let you guys know when the 1.26" are released.

I was kind of hoping on getting the 1.26" soon myself .

I thought this would be a good first post to share on Sniper's Hide. I recently ordered 2 Uni-block mounts from RRS, after reading Frank's post. Once I installed them, I decided to send RRS my initial impressions, and when Micahel Haenel at RRS replied, he suggested I share my thoughts on this forum. I've included my original email message to RRS below. As of this writing, I plan to take them out to the range next week, and will write Michael to follow up. Cheers.

-----

Dear RRS,

When I read Frank's post about your Uni-block scope rings on the Sniper's Hide forums, I quickly ordered two for my precision rifles. I've used your excellent camera gear for years (long before I started rifle shooting). Together with Frank's positive initial impressions, it gave me the confidence to order your scope rings sight unseen. Immediately upon arrival, I installed them on my two best long guns, and will take them up to the range as soon as I can. But even before I do, I believe I can offer feedback which you may find of some value, and would also like to ask a question or two.

But briefly, let me preface my review by stating that I've come to trust Spuhr mounts for nearly all my rifle scope needs. I currently own over a dozen of their mounts in various forms (i.e. cantilever). Their excellent reputation among discriminating shooters is as well-deserved as yours among photographers. For me, they have served as the industry standard. So it is from that perspective that I've largely drawn my impressions.

My initial thoughts? Your scope mount is outstanding! To start, they look beautiful. The lines are sleek, with no sharp edges where none are required. Each component oozes of fine engineering and manufacture, and the finish feels wonderfully smooth. The use of Torx screws is very much appreciated as they're my favorite type of fastener for these purposes. But you went the extra mile by designing the side plate that secures the mount to the rifle to fit flush with the body of the mount. This makes the sides as narrow and unobtrusive as possible, which prevents cut or bruised knuckles when operating guns with side charging handles.

The integrated bubble level is, of course, helpful for precision shooting, and eliminates the need to add yet another component to the system. In comparison to the Spuhr's, yours seems slightly more visible when I'm in shooting position.

I believe there is an error in the instructions, which says that T25 heads for the rail mount screws. But during installation, I discovered that the screws for the rail mount use a T20 head. Perhaps, the instructions were not revised to reflect a design change, or they were simply incorrect?

Also related to the Torx screws, why not use a single Torx head size throughout the mount, as Spuhr does? They use a T20 for all the screws, thereby requiring only one tool, which simplifies installation.

Without shooting the guns yet, I will refrain from making my final conclusions. Even so, my overall impression at this moment is that you've hit a home run with this new mount. Its design, function, looks, and feel are in keeping with all your photography accessories I've ever used, and its quality meets the highest standards which I've come to expect from RRS. Well done, indeed.

-----

I managed to take one of my rifles up to the range today. The RRS mount held a Kahles K624i atop my LWRC 20" REPR. The rifle shot extremely well, holding consistent groups throughout the session. The ring screws did not loosen, nor did those for the rail. The scope held zero without fail. The integrated bubble level was easily visible while I was behind the gun in ready position. All in all, the mount performed as I expected.

Last edited:
I would consider the RRS I just need to know if it will fit the S&B 5x25 it looks a really wide mounting area. Lowlight do you know if the 5x25 will fit?? I know the bell taper is shorter on the 5x45 and 3x27.

So the 1.26" are in the machines and going. Should be available for sale in a month "ish". After we see how the sales do we have decided to make a 30mm option due to some of you guys asking. I will let you know!

So the 1.26" are in the machines and going. Should be available for sale in a month "ish". After we see how the sales do we have decided to make a 30mm option due to some of you guys asking. I will let you know!

I like the extra length you've given the mount. If I'm not mistaken it's a bit longer than the regular spuhr and a bit shorter than the B series spuhr. I use the longer B series spuhr for anything I can since that appeals to the engineer part of me. I'm looking at the S&B 3-20 ultra short next, and the picture Frank posted of it mounted in the RRS mount solidified the choice for me. I like that set up. I'll be in line for the 1.26" option!

Is 15in-lb on the four clamping bar screws really sufficient?

15 in-lb on a #8-32 screw produces around 500lbs of clamping force. The recoil lug also takes the majority of the shock loading, we found 15 in-lb sufficient to prevent the rings from shifting during operation.

I would agree, except.....I have seen a lesser mount shift radically when a friend was using a relatively solid gun mount to sight in a .338 Lapua. I think having the gun solid vs. letting the shoulder absorb some of the recoil allowed the shift. A Spuhr mount cured the issue (as I'm sure yours would), but it proved to us that magnum guns do have enough recoil to allow rail mounted optics to move in an inferior mount. Just an observation.

I would agree, except.....I have seen a lesser mount shift radically when a friend was using a relatively solid gun mount to sight in a .338 Lapua. I think having the gun solid vs. letting the shoulder absorb some of the recoil allowed the shift. A Spuhr mount cured the issue (as I'm sure yours would), but it proved to us that magnum guns do have enough recoil to allow rail mounted optics to move in an inferior mount. Just an observation.

True:
Inferior mounts will/can move with recoil!

Through our testing and user evals of our Uni-Block ring design we have found our specs worthy of smooth operation through .50BMG.

We have not mounted our rings on that model Schmidt yet, apologies.
For reference if anyone else has one and wants to measure: Inside ring length for Elevation/Windage knobs measures 3.17", total length of the mount is 5.14".

1.26" height RRS is interesting. The way my face sits on the stock works a little better with a slightly lower mount. I'll have to test it out.

Whether RRS is better than Spuhr, I do not know. I have some ancient political disagreements with Hakan Spuhr, so I will not touch his product with a ten foot pole. RRS stuff I have seen has been exceptionally well made and I suspect the mounts are no different.

It will be interesting to compare it to the Aadmount which has sorta been my go to scope mount.

ILya

Will it fit this? If it will I'll buy one to try out.
Thanks

​​​​​​​[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.schmidtundbender.de\/images\/stories\/tz\/tz_pm_12_5-50x56_p_.png"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.snipershide.com\/shooting\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]​
UnitABCDEFGKL
mm
inch

Based on the diagram the area from eyepiece to bell is ~6.11" long (dimension L - E - D - A = B + C + turret housing). Forward ring mounting area (C) is 1.535". Based on my estimate of the ring caps length ~1" and the given mount length of 5.14", it should fit.

Will it fit this? If it will I'll buy one to try out.
Thanks

​​​​​​​[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.schmidtundbender.de\/images\/stories\/tz\/tz_pm_12_5-50x56_p_.png"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.snipershide.com\/shooting\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]​
UnitABCDEFGKL
mm
inch

Yep our Uni-Block mount will fit that!

tz_pm_03_590.png
UnitABCDEFGKL
mm
inch

How about this?

Just ordered my 1.26 mount yesterday. On back order, but no worries for me I'm not in a huge rush. I like the Spuhr mounts but am interested to see/use the rrs.

Just ordered my 1.26 mount yesterday. On back order, but no worries for me I'm not in a huge rush. I like the Spuhr mounts but am interested to see/use the rrs.

Actually the 34mm 0MOA 1.26" complete batch just finished yesterday. Just need to do all hand work, tumble, handwork, re-tumble with different material, Anodize test, anodize who batch, qc, assemble, ship. So your order shouldn't be waiting for much longer.

The 20MOA batch should finish late next week.

Last edited: