• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Square Shoulders and Length of Pull

grizzlestomp

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have started squaring my shoulders when shooting my 6.5 Saum to better absorb the recoil and stay on target. My traditional stance with my shoulders closer to parallel to the rifle pulls me off target (especially at higher magnifications for long range shots), which is a little more noticeable with my lightweight GAP hunting rifle than the 11 lb 308 I've had forever.

I had to move my scope back on my existing rifle with a 13 1/4" LOP to get a comfortable sight picture across various stances.

I am building a new 6.5 Saum chambered to shoot the 156 Bergers (and giving my old rifle to my wife) and am considering getting a shorter LOP (around 12.5") inches to be a more comfortable fit with a square stance and avoid having to move my scope way back in the rings.

Obviously, LOP is different for everyone, and I'm not looking for specific advice about measurements. Just wondering if anyone has noticed this issue when adjusting their stance.

I have a fair amount of play in adjusting my scope (ZCO 5-27) in ARC rings, just figured having the center of gravity closer to my body couldn't hurt, especially if I end up keeping a more square stance. Hunting I predominantly shoot from a kneeling or sitting position off a tripod.

we dont shoot plastic army man anymore.

nothing wrong with a 12.5" LOP. i use it on my rimx in mcmillan z10 with my GF, and use a 13" centerfire on my own stock

this becomes more and more true when you get up ON and OFF your elbows, meaning taller bipod and positional/tripod