• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Squirrel rifle

tex68w

Mister Bevilaqua
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 10, 2017
    I am sick of the squirrels taunting me in the deer blind, they are incessant and they need to be tamed. Shots would be 30-80yds so I am leaning towards 22 LR but open to 17 HMR or 22 MAG?!

I have a DA Mask HD I’d like to run on the rifle so it needs to have a threaded barrel. I am not married to an action but I am leaning towards bolt. Which make/models should I be considering here? What power range for the glass?

I am sick of the squirrels taunting me in the deer blind, they are incessant and they need to be tamed. Shots would be 30-80yds so I am leaning towards 22 LR but open to 17 HMR or 22 MAG?!

I have a DA Mask HD I’d like to run on the rifle so it needs to have a threaded barrel. I am not married to an action but I am leaning towards bolt. Which make/models should I be considering here? What power range for the glass?
    I am not a tree squirrel expert…far from it! When I attempted to hunt them once or twice I didn’t even see ONE in the forest.

But I am a Richardson ground squirrel aficionado. Here’s my suggestion:

Ammo:
    CCI 22LR Segmented Subsonics. They petal open when they hit and kill reliably. These, plus a suppressor, make you a ninja and you’ll disturb your other quarry less, allowing you to bag more.

#1 option rifle
    Kidd 10/22 Supergrade with two-stage trigger and ultra-light 16” barrel (or 16.5”, whatever). Barrel swaps in 15-30 sec if you want a heavy barrel for the range.

Upsides: almost everything, light, 10 rds on tap, great mags, etc. Downsides: pricy, have to clean your suppressor once in a while.

#2 option rifle
    CZ 457 Jaguar with the 28”+ barrel. Don’t need a suppressor, that long barrel makes standard rimfire ammo (which is subsonic) sound like a pellet gun (I own the 455 variant). And if you want to go full-ninja, that 457 Jag has a threaded barrel lol. The 455 version, called the Ultra Lux, does not.

I giggle at how quiet that Jag + suppressor would be.

Upside is you don’t need to clean a suppressor, ever (unless full-ninja). Excellent iron sights, if you’re into that sort of thing (I’m not). Downsides are you’ve got just one shot (vs. the Kidd) and the length makes it a bit awkward to carry around. If you are camping in one spot it wouldn’t matter.

Glass
    For me, a Vortex 5-25 PST II or similar is needed, but I hunt on open ground. Vortex’s even optically better 3-15 has a huge, huge FOV (TT 3-15 level) and may be more appropriate for forest work.

Personally, I’d find a 2c or 2d reticle in one of those scopes, or of course you could spend as much as you want. The Vortex LHT 4.5-22 is nice and very light (own one, has locking/covered turrets, stiff controls) but has less FOV at similar mag ranges than the two PST scopes listed above. A NF NX8 would work too.

The bummer with the PST turrets is they don’t lock. And the NX8 lineup has non-locking elevation turrets (but has covered windage).

These are the scopes, rifles, and ammo that I am familiar with. Good luck!

Last edited:
    I shoot squirrels from my blind with a cz 455 with subsonics and tbac 22 takedown. You can shoot one and the rest never know. Great way to kill a bunch. I also have a bergara bmr, nice and light has a threaded barrel and can put a good trigger in it. It shoots pretty good as well

IMG_5112.jpeg

CZ457 AT-One 24" barrel with a DA Mask and a MidasTAC 6-24 is my go to tree rat ender. CCI SV works great but sub-sonic HP will give more confidence on a less than perfect shot.

Reactions: tex68w
    For flying orange squirrels I prefer a Perazzi choked mod/full and 1 1/8 ounce 7.5’s traveling at 1145 or so. For chatterboxes in fall foliage I like a percussion round ball rifle in .45 cal over 60 gn fffg. pillow tick patch and rendered pig tallow oil.

Oh and one more thing… Squirrels? Tamed? I’ve been shooting 1 to 3 a day for 2 plus years and they still keep coming! They’re like gray hairs, man. Kill one and 3 will take its place!

Last edited:
    • Haha
    For something out of the box without dropping a bunch of money the CZ's are great. The AT One is what I'd look at in their lineup if you don't want to have to send it out to be threaded or swap stocks and whatnot. An American Varmint is a sweet little rifle too though. If you feel like spending more Anschutz are absolutely amazing and you could also put together a Rimx for basically the same cost.

I would stick to 22 and run something subsonic and HP with your can that the rifle likes. They don't skurry after the first shot and you can usually get a couple before they catch on. The CCI subsonic HP shoots more than well enough for your uses but you're not going to be ringing steel at 400 yards with it once you realize shooting a 22 bolt gun is a lot of fun.

I am but a poor and use a Savage mk II I have had for 15+ years for squirrels.
    It is a quite accurate little thing.

Bought it with the tacticool stock already kn place (I like the vert grip) and threaded barrel.

CCI quiets work for me and are quite accurate to 50 yds for me.
    And stupid quiet.

I would never ever shoot rabbits out of my garden in town, but if I did, I would know there is no exit at 20 yds but they are bang flop dead.

Here's my recommendation...

Take your pick between Black & Stainless, or FDE & Black. I've had mine for a couple years now, and it's been a great rifle. No issues and shoots REALLY well. I also have a Mask HD and a couple of TBAC 22 TD cans. Shoots great with both cans, and sub-MOA @ 100 yards with CCI Standard Velocity ammo, and with SK Match (Red/Black Box), as well. Also, for squirrels and other varmints, if you can find them, the CCI Segmented HP's at 1050 FPS work great.

IMG_8469.jpeg
    IMG_8470.jpeg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-05-21 18:08:42.528914.jpg
    OYCE7538.jpeg

Last edited:
    ANY 10/22 of your choosing and budget!
    With a suppressor, the loudest sound you hear is the action cycling!
    Any good quality standard velocity 22lr ammunition.
    Scope to your liking and budget.
    This is not bench rest shooting.
    My current setup is Ruger Custom Shop 10/22, Ruger Suppressor, Athlon 4.5-27 With adjustable AO, what ever 22 lr ammo I have laying around. The scope is overkill but it’s what I use for competition. For just squirrels, a Leupold 3-9 with EFR is very nice.
    Get in the woods before first light, locate the first calls, when they start moving, I try to get a couple moving and then just shoot.
    Do not move to pick up but mark the spots. You will not disturb the squirrels that way.
    I shoot a couple, pick up and go home and clean.
    Forgot, a Kidd or Timney trigger is nice to have but not essential.
    1703352529533.jpeg

Last edited:
    For flying orange squirrels I prefer a Perazzi choked mod/full and 1 1/8 ounce 7.5’s traveling at 1145 or so. For chatterboxes in fall foliage I like a percussion round ball rifle in .45 cal over 60 gn fffg. pillow tick patch and rendered pig tallow oil.
    I swear, reading your advice makes me think I am fine dining and listening to the waiter roll off the specials. Got hungry for pillow tick patch rendered pig tallow dessert!

Lots of great options here. The inner Gucci me wants a RImX build or Vudoo just because but it's totally not necessary for the use case. I have a lot to explore.

As far as ammo goes. I've found RWS subsonic to be great hunting ammo.

There are lots of options as stated. I didn’t care for the mags on my vudoo. I much prefer the dedicated 22lr mags

Reactions: nikonNUT
    As everyone else has said, a bolt action with sub sonic HPs is the way. Preferably with a can.

I use CZ 452s.

My preferred ammo is Eley SSHP. Very accurate and very soft lead. The CCI 45gr HP suppressor ammo is also good.

Lots of great options here. The inner Gucci me wants a RImX build or Vudoo just because but it's totally not necessary for the use case. I have a lot to explore.
    Forgot to mention, the Ranger 22 uses Ruger 10/22 mags (10, 15, 25 & 30 rd mags). So, that's always a good thing. You can find those anywhere for pretty cheap. I've had a 10/22 for 22 years now, and that was a big selling point for me, since I already had plenty spare mags laying around.

In my opinion a PCP air rifle would be great for taking squirrels from a deer blind out to 80 yards. I recommend a .25. Below is a .25 Brocock Bantam Sniper HR. It's up to the task. I've put down a number of squirrels and other critters. It can be quieted down considerably. I prefer shooting 33.95 grain domed pellets. Squirrels don't stand a chance.
    Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 10.15.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 10.17.38 PM.png

In my opinion a PCP air rifle would be great for taking squirrels from a deer blind out to 80 yards. I recommend a .25. Below is a .25 Brocock Bantam Sniper HR. It's up to the task. I've put down a number of squirrels and other critters. It can be quieted down considerably. I prefer shooting 33.95 grain domed pellets. Squirrels don't stand a chance.
    I'm good... I heard those Brococks don't handle real well... I've heard great things about the Shecunts though... 👍🏼

• Haha
    Reactions: 748rpilot
    It's the quail (mostly Bobwhite but a few Blue Quail too) that aggravate me, eating all the milo I spread about 30 yards out from the blind. All the noise they make scratching up that grain and smacking their beaks. I use a Bergara B14R .22 carbon. It is extremely effective without a bunch of figuring at a range of 30-70 yards shooting SK or CCi standards, with suppressor to quiet them down, deer eating corn farther down the Sendero are barely if at all disturbed.
    Those delicious little bastids are collected until I have enough to cook everybody a fried quail and biscuits and gravy breakfast. Usually have some flour tortilla's for the older or more pure Tejanos.
    In the event of a drought or shortage of quail, Cottontails make a good substitute, all are far superior if cooked in lard.

I'm good... I heard those Brococks don't handle real well... I've heard great things about the Shecunts though... 👍🏼
    LOL. I think that's why the company rebranded from "Brocock" to "BRK." The pictured rifle predates the rebranding. For what it's worth, my Brocock has taken down a couple of beavers.

Last edited:

I'd go with an Anschutz 1710 or 1712 before ever considering the rimx or voodoo for your intended purpose. Plenty Gucci for you.

Hell, I'd go Winchester 52b sporting but not if you're going to thread it.

Seriously though, if you have the money to spend, the 1710/1712 is excellent

You will be on the right track if you follow the suggestions in this thread as outlined above.

A few personal suggestions.

Good quality, accurate target ammo.
    Head shots only with target ammo if you must shoot body shots use HVHP ammo.
    Accurate rifle that is not finicky about the way it’s held and rested. This often means some barrel weight. Fitted with a SHOOTING SLING. Learn to shoot it from many positions. Barrel longer (for quiet) and heavier (for field position accuracy) than you think you want.
    No more than.6x scope. Most do better with 4x.
    A soft cotton jacket with a couple of large pockets is better than a pack. The old French paratrooper (M47 field jacket)
    IMG_7921.png
    are really good if you can find one. Mine are in shreds but still serve well.
    Repeater not single shot. Opportunities often come in groups.
    Gloves and facemask if you are light completed.
    Learn to sit very still and scan with your eyes with minimal head movement. (The gift of stillness.)
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_5541.jpeg

Learn to move without alarming game. Smooth steady movement. Nothing rapid or jerky.
    Get some proven data to the limit of your headshot accuracy under field conditions.
    A small light LRF. Print a DOPE card large enough you can read it in less than bright light. Also memorize it as much as possible.
    Get a couple of extra magazines for convenience if your rifle uses detachable mags.
    A method of carrying your small amount of gear quietly. No rattling. (See jacket above) Note no metal, no zippers. Nothing to catch on brush.

Last edited:
    Additions

The flat nose Eley EPS ammo seems to hit a bit harder than the RN stuff of similar velocity.

Really work on field position and sling shooting.

Offhand shooting is a very helpful skill.

Reactions: Charger442
    Wear ASAT camo with proper hat/face mask/gloves . I've had grays & blacks 3' from me sitting on a tree limb. They never see me. In fall when its green or in snow. Best dam camo out there. I just use a 10/22 with BX trigger/ leupy 3x9x40. CCI stingers. Blows their head off at tree top level. Nothing fancy. They are good in pot pies. JMHO.

Haha they are definitely not needed but I have a few custom rimfires that are all too heavy for hunting so figured I wanted a light weight one.

Plus we do a friendly squirrel shoot every year that pays a few thousand dollars to the winner. So my winnings helped build the rimx squirrel build

Budget, a savage, mine is plenty accurate but it sits in a Manners stock that cost more than the rifle, all my 10/22's are capable of head shots at 100, CZ's are nice, love my Bergara B14r but it isn't light. Shoots great though.

Now to find the components or complete rifle for sale in the PE lol.

I am but a poor and use a Savage mk II I have had for 15+ years for squirrels.
    It is a quite accurate little thing.

Bought it with the tacticool stock already kn place (I like the vert grip) and threaded barrel.

CCI quiets work for me and are quite accurate to 50 yds for me.
    And stupid quiet.

I would never ever shoot rabbits out of my garden in town, but if I did, I would know there is no exit at 20 yds but they are bang flop dead.
    I also have a Mk II, along with several other .22's. The Savage shoots as well as my Bergara B14R. Not the slickest action by far but damn, it shoots. I did need to put it in a Boyd's stock as the cheek height on the OEM stock was ridiculously low. I just put an SWFA 10X on it and it does everything I need. I do prefer less than that for squirrels though, but if 30-80 yards is your range, it would work.

If your Gucci turns Walmart, and this is for blind use only, take a look at a Cricket pistol and throw a cheap red dot on top. Street price is a little over $100, its threaded, stupid quiet with CBs, and surprisingly accurate. The biggest downfall...the trigger sucks. Its what I use in the blind for critter control and it is quite effective, and fun.

Surprised to see the suggestions of using RN ammo. It'll work sometimes but Ive had many "got aways" from RN ammo. Even direct head shots aren't reliable. I've had multiple headshots that resulted in a squirrel being knocked unconscious only to start moving again after a period of time. I haven't tried flat point ammo but it may work better.

Soft lead HPs are much more reliable. In particular the Eley SSHPs are accurate and reliably blow out the chest every time. Winchester SSHPs are less accurate but also perform well on game. CCI SSHPs and ther "quiet" 45gr HP work well. The 45gr is slow though, so long shots have quite the arc on them.

Reactions: RTH1800
    I don't think that squirrels shot through the brain come back to life. Might be glancing blows? Personally I have not had an issue with head shots. I certainly have with body shots. If anyone needs any Eley SSHP please let me know.
    Surprised to see the suggestions of using RN ammo. It'll work sometimes but Ive had many "got aways" from RN ammo. Even direct head shots aren't reliable. I've had multiple headshots that resulted in a squirrel being knocked unconscious only to start moving again after a period of time. I haven't tried flat point ammo but it may work better.

Soft lead HPs are much more reliable. In particular the Eley SSHPs are accurate and reliably blow out the chest every time. Winchester SSHPs are less accurate but also perform well on game. CCI SSHPs and ther "quiet" 45gr HP work well. The 45gr is slow though, so long shots have quite the arc on them.

I think a few posters lost SA on the fact he wants to shoot them from his deer blind, and remain undetected.

Or did I misinterpret?

Yes, I will be shooting these tree rats from the blind most of the time.