• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft squirrel

Compadre

Machinegun Joe
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2021
homestead
I was sitting in my pop-up blind today and heard something behind me. I looked out the right side window and saw a squirrel on a fallen log coming toward me. The log ends a foot or two from my blind. I ducked my head back, hoping that the squirrel would not see me and start barking at me. The next thing I knew, The squirrel smashes into the side of the tent about 3 feet from the ground. The little idiot must have thought that he was hopping onto one of the tree limbs that are printed on the camo pattern. I almost burst out laughing but I was a little worried that he was going to jump in the window...I heard him circle the blind and saw him jump up on another log and run away.

I was sitting in my pop-up blind today and heard something behind me. I looked out the right side window and saw a squirrel on a fallen log coming toward me. The log ends a foot or two from my blind. I ducked my head back, hoping that the squirrel would not see me and start barking at me. The next thing I knew, The squirrel smashes into the side of the tent about 3 feet from the ground. The little idiot must have thought that he was hopping onto one of the tree limbs that are printed on the camo pattern. I almost burst out laughing but I was a little worried that he was going to jump in the window...I heard him circle the blind and saw him jump up on another log and run away.
Had birds fly into a blind/stand with me, but no squirrels. I guess this was the worst though (and he did not get that close, no more than 10-20 feet. Hard to see him but he was at least 5 to 6 feet long, biggest snake I ever saw

1703800995202.jpeg

Reactions: jrassy
Had a squirrel run up my arm and jump off my shoulder once. Scared the living shit out of me, he was on the ground as was I. Interesting to say the least

Hunting one year, I stopped and sat a while on a downed tree. Somewhere along the line a red pine squirrel starts coming down the other end of the tree. Same deal, I'm sitting there trying not to move as I don't want him to start chittering and whirr'ing.. alarming and letting everything in the woods know there's some predator about. He's working his way down the tree closer and closer. I'm trying not to move, looking out the corner of my eye. He gets about two feet from me. I'm debating whether or not I should let him come and see if he'll run over my lap, or should I turn fast and scare the crap out of him!?
Just then there's a brown flash and a screech as a hawk hits him and flies away with him. I damn near shit my pants.

I've had chipmunks run across my shoulders, back of my neck many times. A favorite spot for years was to sit on a field edge with my back to an old stone fence. They'd run up and down it's length all day. The first time it happened was pretty starteling for sure. But if you knew they were coming it was kind of fun, I almost enjoyed it. The worst part then was trying not to laugh.

Last edited:
Looks like an Indigo. Pretty much harmless.

Totally agree, what got my attention was the lateness of the year, did not expect a reptile of any kind out on a very cool December day.

And that said, I should have known better. Decades ago, in January, Brenda and I were fishing on Bayou Darbonne. While retying an artificial, our boat drifted into the brush. I looked up and water snake or a cotton mouth dropped off a branch right in front of the boat into the water. I would have said a water snake but it’s been something like 48-49 years ago.

Reactions: Yasherka