• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SR-25 Muzzle Device Removal

J-Ham

Aquamarine Team
Minuteman
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Whitefish, MT
    Just picked up an SR-25 & it's got the QDC MAMS brake on it... I'm wanting to swap it out to something different. I've soaked it in water, I've heated it up & I've cranked on it as much as I feel comfortable with. The KAC Knight Stick is out of stock (of course), which is really Ok because I don't particularly want to buy one to use once anyway. I've emailed Operation Parts & called them a few times to no avail, so...

Anybody got a lead on someone that I could send this upper to & have them crack this brake loose real quick without tearing anything up?

Before you break something or cause the upper to become scrap from a radial twist you should buy or borrow the tools.
    Or
    Take it to a gunsmith

Yeah I get that... But there's not a single gunsmith around here that I trust with cranking on an AR barrel without the use of a Knight Sick, Reaction Rod or similar, so I'm left with sending it to someone that knows their way around KAC's... But who?

Only a .223 Reaction Rod, not a .308 one unfortunately... Basically have nothing for working on AR-10's.

I suppose I could bore some aluminum jaws on the lathe, throw it in the vise & then give it a crank... Hmmm.

You can get barrel jaw pads for about $20 shipped. As long as you have enough exposed barrel, go for it. Be aware of Rockett, water release not heat like Loctite.
    MItuz1fm.jpg

URX 4 with a short barrel, you'll need a reaction rod.
    INCgYxOm.jpg

Reactions: J-Ham
    They are sealed with Rocksett. You can crack the seal by using a dead blow hammer to the muzzle device. That will typically put micro cracks in the ceramic of the Rocksett and spin it off with a breaker bar.

Reactions: greg1147 and J-Ham
    With rocksett it helps if the water is boiling and you can insert the muzzle end into the water for 15 min or so. They've always softened up for me that way.

Reactions: Pappasniper
    If you strike out, I can ship you my reaction rod. Just PM me if you need help.

And yes psmith is right. I put my gun upside down in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes and kaboom.

PB

Reactions: J-Ham
    Thanks for the responses, guys. Honestly I was just tired of messing with it & if I somehow damaged that high-dollar, unobtanium KAC upper I was just gonna be sick, so I tucked tail like a little bitch, took @msgriff's advice & sent it to D Wilson this morning. It's somewhat embarrassing to send it off, but when you're spending KAC money, you just want it done right.

@Pappasniper, thanks for the offer man, that's real cool of you.

Reactions: Pappasniper
    Micro cracks in the ceramic? Never heard that one before. Given the name, everyone assumes that it cures hard as a rock. In reality, Rocksett is no stronger than blue Loctite. It's just much more resistant to heat. Water helps soften but it doesn't even need to be boiling.

Micro cracks in the ceramic? Never heard that one before. Given the name, everyone assumes that it cures hard as a rock. In reality, Rocksett is no stronger than blue Loctite. It's just much more resistant to heat. Water helps soften but it doesn't even need to be boiling.
    It has been mentioned here a bunch of times. Or feel free to google hit rockset it with a hammer and you’ll see lots of results. I’ve never had luck with the water method.

heated soapy water in a ultrasonic cleaner for about 30 minutes. No magic, just holding the barrel, getting the Rocksett lose and cranking. You might ruin the MAMS. the standard flash hiders seem to grip to a flat wrench better.

I recently swapped the KAC device for a SureFire QD mount for a ACC SBR project. The Rocksett is a ceramic-based adhesive that dissolves with water (email from the Horse's mouth) ; I just warm a bowl of water in the microwave for 30 sec, submerge barrel with cork in the muzzle just because. The Blackout flash hider tool fits the SR25 device perfectly. Use a Geissele or KAC reaction rod. Simple.
    Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 5.37.30 PM.png
    KAC 300 Blackout Removing Rocksett Muzzle Threads Hot WaterIMG_3787 copy.JPG
    IMG_9662KAC SR-25 UPPER ASSEMBLY ARRIVES 06.23.21 copy.jpg
    IMG_9669KAC SR-25 UPPER ASSEMBLY ARRIVES 06.23.21 copy.jpg
    IMG_9670KAC SR-25 UPPER ASSEMBLY ARRIVES 06.23.21 copy.jpg
    IMG_9672KAC SR-25 UPPER ASSEMBLY ARRIVES 06.23.21 copy.jpg
    IMG_9666KAC SR-25 UPPER ASSEMBLY ARRIVES 06.23.21 copy.jpg
    IMG_0182KAC SR-25 WITH SUPPRESSOR BLACK SCOPE & SLING RMR MOUNTED POOLSIDE 07.30.21 ANNOTATED ...jpg
    IMG_0166KAC SR-25 WITH SUPPRESSOR BLACK SCOPE & SLING RMR MOUNTED POOLSIDE 07.30.21 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9916KAC SR25 WITH SUPPRESSOR POOLSIDE 07.10.21 copy.jpg
      IMG_9916KAC SR25 WITH SUPPRESSOR POOLSIDE 07.10.21 copy.jpg
      787.4 KB · Views: 65
    Last edited: