• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SR-25 type magazine options

Mumbles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Pittsburgh Area
I'm looking for SR-25 pattern mags for my MWS. The PMag is the obvious answer, and I have several, but they are somewhat bulkier, and the majority won't drop free. What other quality options are there? I refuse to pay $100 for a KAC mag. For that price I'll just keep buying PMags. I was considering the DPMS mags, but I hear you can't fit M118LR in them, has that changed? What is the quality like on the CProducts mags?

What else exists that will function reliably and fit longer OAL?

Re: SR-25 type magazine options

Larue 7.62 mags are $79.00, not much better. You could try some CMMG mags or DPMS mags, but I have not heard good things about them. I would stick with Pmags and take some sandpaper to the outside to help them drop free.

I was afraid sandpaper would be the only (affordable) option.

I thought the DPMS mags were supposed to be good other than not fitting longer cartridges?

We tried the DPMS mags in our SR25s and they didn't fit or feed right. I should have said that I have not heard anything good or bad about the CMMG mags. I think I saw them for around $30.00.

I am using the larue mags, and they are great. They allow a long C.O.A.L. and are very solid mags. I was running pmags, but they just didn't allow the length bullets I wanted to shoot.

FWIW, LMT has the KAC mags for sale at about $85 plus shipping.

I was running a single Pmag, and mine did not drop free either. I spoke with Magpul and learned that they have newer updated magazines that work better with the MWS. I just received a new Pmag body from Magpul and it now drops free from my MWS. If you contact Magpul, they will replace the old style bodies.

The LR20 sales description states that it will work with M118LR ammunition.

pmags don't have a problem with m118LR ammo and they drop free in my SR25

however, the KAC mags will allow a much longer OAL than the pmags, so consider that if handloading.

Thanks for the heads up on Magpul's updated mag body. I'll give them a call.

$85 is an improvement over $100 I guess, but the cost to benefit ratio still isn't there. If they were the only acceptable mags I'd bite the bullet, I've got a pile of AICS mags I paid full price for, I'm not averse to paying for quality, but with the Magpul option, I'd rather have 5 good enough mags over 1 perfect mag.

I don't handload for this rifle, but I do shoot M118 and other similar length factory rounds, which is why I haven't bought any DPMS mags, and now probably never will.

ASC magazines

I was wondering the same thing- I've heard about M118 compatibility issues with Magpul magazines, and now this drop free issue-

I wonder if the ASC magazines are better? The DPMS mags are chrome moly steel. The ASC's are stainless steel. The KAC mags I believe are aluminum.

I'm pretty sure the drop free issue only affected LMT MWS rifles, and even then only a portion of MWS rifles were affected.

Thanks for the ASC link. at $16 I'm definitely willing to experiment.

Just to be clear, 118 fits in a PMAG fine.

i have to vote for doing a little polishing on pmags as well. i am new to the .308 AR platform, but they are flawless in my rifle. the DPMS factory mags sit in the gun closet collecting dust. i have talked to people who have tweaked the DPMS mags and got good results, i am too lazy to worry with it. doesn't POF make mags that are compatible?

liontribe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the ASC link. at $16 I'm definitely willing to experiment.

Just to be clear, 118 fits in a PMAG fine. </div></div>

I asked the seller on ar15.com for links to reviews. No response yet. If I was home I'd order one and compare dimensions to KAC to try to derive an impression of the product and use it.

Maybe buy one and see how it goes? Post your results if you can, I need to buy 6 mags, but don't want to buy a pile of worthless crap and I'm in Iraq till Dec 30 so I can't play around with anything.

With DOD contracts for the 110, and British contracts for the LMT MWS, I can say one thing with 100% certainty- the magazines should not be $100 each.

The M14's were Army issued and Checkmate began making contract mags that 44MAG was selling for $18-22 a pop (now $28) and they were GI issue quality mags (as they actually were GI issue).

3000 KAC rifles sold in the last 6 years- that's 18,000 magazines at 6 mags per gun, and we know mags wear out in military use and are replaced at intervals, so this is not a limited run product like an AI magazine. I like the KAC mag as I've used them in the military and they work and are a quality feeding device.

I've heard reports of magpul mags not feeding M118 (early mags) and now there is a LMT MWS compatibility issue advertised on LMT's site so there are definitely known compatibility issues with the magpul depending on what generation of mags you get. This makes it a little bit risky to buy them IMO because you don't know what variation of the product you are getting when you order from an online retailer like Brownells.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/549833_C_Products__308_mags.html

Sounds like the C-products mag is Ok, I wonder if that is the now ASC brand? <span style="font-style: italic">Update: did some more research, found a post by someone complaining of some sort of law suit which left "ASC" with the tooling from C-products. Apparently that means ASC might be the same as C-products.
</span>
The mag being long with a workaround is OK with me, that means maximum OAL or should mean that-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine don't fully seat in my LMT, I'm not certain why as I've not had time to study the problem.
ETA: found the problem, the upper receiver's front mag-well edge extends back over the lower receiver's front mag-well by about 5 thousandths, and since the C-Products mags are tight, they don't fit.
If either the mags or the rifle had a reasonable round count through them this would not have been a problem; as it is I just had to round the leading edge on the mags to solve the problem.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My CProducts 308 mags work flawlessly . Not one problem ,but they are from the company before it was sold .
Not sure if they are made the same quality now or the ones on sale are from pre sale stock .

I have a CMMG lower that won't shoot PMags , the metal ones ,be it DPMS or CProducts,are the only ones that work.</div></div>

http://www.sniperinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?775-British-Army-s-L129A1-Sharpshooter-rifle

This link has what is claimed to be a quoted American Rifleman article- that article claims :

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle is delivered with eight 20-round-capacity Magpul PMags, although the L129A1 may come with KAC 20-round steel magazines and<span style="font-style: italic"> will function properly with CProducts steel magazines as well.</span> The right side of the magazine well is marked with the NATO Stock Number (NSN), which is 1005-99-226-6708. Beneath that is “LEI” for Law Enforcement Int’l, the importer of the rifles into the United Kingdom. The left side is marked “LMT CAL. 7.62x51 mm L129A1.”</div></div>

Midway is still selling C-products mags for $16. The company apparently has gone under- and I read an 8 page thread on that, that in all honesty was pitiful and embarrassing and had a complete lack of information, so I can't say that I understand anything about the closing of C-products/ the opening of ASC, and the opening of the new supplier of C-products mags other than to say it sounded like a load of bullshit.

But the mags are still for sale, albeit discontinued at Midway, I wouldn't expect warranty support (but then I typically wouldn't expect a warranty on a magazine anyway)- it may still be better to take a $16 gamble with ASC or discontinued C-products than to do the $100 sure thing with KAC, or take the same gamble with Magpul.

The DPMS mags have an awful reputation, and I find it kind of interesting that all these companies (CMMG/LWRC/DPMS/KAC/LMT/MEGA/etc) are making guns and still no company with a solid reputation as far as I know makes a "sure thing" magazine for under $30.

This guy had bad luck with C-products- b...uck with Magpul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have another AR-10 style rifle that uses both C Products magazines and DPMS magazines. The LMT LM308MWS originally came with one Knight Armament metal magazine with a 20-round capacity, but there is a dimensional difference between this magazine and the C Products magazines. In fact, I simply can't get my C Products magazines to go into the mag well on this rifle.

The DPMS will go in, if you push hard enough, but they are buggers to remove once they are empty. MagPul 20-round magazines, however, work extremely well and they are supplied to the British SAS with each L129A1. </div></div>

I think I'll just buy C-products or ASC (I'm torn between which) from Midway on account of their slightly longer COAL. If they don't work I'll get magpul and then my mags will be $32 a pop ($16 worth of each) but still not $85-$100.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Reseller on AR15.com had the following to say about ASC:</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ASC magazines is one of the two companies that was formed during the split of CProducts. I'm sorry I don't have any experience with the .308 mags but I do use them in my 6.8 and hasn't not had any issues with the 25rd mags. On these the COAL is 2.295"so pretty good.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question better</div></div>

I picked up a pair of C-products mags. One fits fine, and drops free, no issues. The other will not lock in with the bolt closed, and the bolt will not close with the mag locked in. So off to a bad start.

Southwest Ammo 175s fit fine. Not sure what the COAL is on them. Don't have any 118 on hand to test with at the moment.

I'm running C-Products 20 and 10 mags I have not had a single issue with them I love the 10 rounders for prone and off the bench. The Cost is VERY reasonable so much if a mag ever does go bad it won't be like putting down a pure bred horse tossing it!! Mags are and always will be the weakest link for autos. I can't see buying a mag that costs more than what I'm willing to lose or leave behind. I have PMags too and they run great too. I carry nothing else for my duty Rock River(.223)

any feedback on the CMMG mags ? who makes them for cmmg ? or is it an in house thing ?

I like the idea of having a longer COAL than I do with the Pmags, but they have worked perfectly for me, and they're cheap.

poly mag- Magpul
Metal mag- Larue

IMO, KAC and Larue are the only fool proof metal mags, having used both the Larue seem to be a bit more refined than KAC, and are a few bucks cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sure the drop free issue only affected LMT MWS rifles, and even then only a portion of MWS rifles were affected. </div></div>

I believe this is correct. The "old style" P-Mags interfered with the bolt release on SOME of the LMT MWS rifles. The new ones eliminate that issue.

Once you see the difference in the old and new mags side by side very clearly. Magpul does the exchange very easily and quickly.

Jim G

I'm glad someone raised the issue of cartridge overall length.

The Magpul site says that the Pmags will accept up to 2.0820" COAL.

Which of the other brand chocies will RELIABLY support longer COALs, and what specific length will they support?

Jim G

Larue- don't recall what COAL though

I called Larue this afternoon and asked what length of COAL the Larue LT762-20RD magazine can reliably handle. The answer was 2.860".

The Pmags can handle only 2.820" per the Magpul website, so the potential gain for those who want to load for a shorter bullet jump is .040". That should handle most jump reduction needs.
smile.gif

Jim G

Mumbles,

Check out AR stoner magazines. They are $16.99 a pop, and feed great. They allow 2.85' OAL, which is what i run my reloads at. The anti-tilt follower is great, and i havent had any issues whatsoever.

I also have two (2) DPMS metal magazines, and tho they get low billing here, they too have functioned flawlessly in my rifles. The DPMS allow longer loading than the magpul pmags. I have successfully tested 2.84" OAL through my DPMS mags.

I also have six (6) pmags, and to be honest, i dont use them much. I bought the pmags because of the hype about them being the standard for 308ARs. The pmags are fine. They fit well, tend to get stuck if i hit them too hard while seating them in the magwell during mag changes, and they don't allow me to load longer than about 2.81".

Since i'm a handloader, i like any magazine that lets me load long and get closer to the lands.

I would rate the magazines as follows

1. AR stoner
2. DPMS
3. Magpul pmags

I don't have any experience with Promag or CMMG versions.

You also couldn't pay me to buy $85 or $100 KAC magazizines.

Hope this helps.