• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SR25 Disappointment

HornDog87

Peppa Pigs Pimp
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
Narnia
Hello everyone, I purchased an Knights SR-25 acc 16" from gunbroker about a couple months ago. Since then I've shot it at the range three separate occasions and have had horrible results.
Each range time has gotten worse as I've have ftf, bcg override the round, double feed, bend necks, etc. I'm using the factory mag, Lancer l7 mags, pmags and nothing seems to change it. I haven't used reloads as I can't even get factory to function correctly.
At this point my other ar10 is more reliable and I'm contemplating on selling it, but I'm disappointed as I've always wanted one since I left the corps. There's not enough crayons in the world to ease my pain!
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, I've always found great advice here ?

Attachments

• 20191231_122116.jpg
    20191231_122116.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 408
I had a similar issues with my Grendel where rounds feeding from the right side of the mag would get caught on the squared edge of the ejector pin as they moved across the bolt face, and then as it came forward the shoulder would get dented by the barrel extension/feed ramp recesses. Pay attention and see if it happens with rounds coming from the right side of the mag. If so, simply rounding off the ejector may help. I am not super familiar with SR25’s so for it not picking rounds up or “riding over the mag” is it possible it’s under gassed and is short stroking? Does it have an adjustable gas block?

What ammo is that?

I've had (key word there) 2 SR25's in the past 10 years...an EMC then an ACC. The EMC functioned best with the factory. Knowing that, I bought mostly factory for the ACC. I only had 5 mags, but 3 had to go back to KAC for replacement for being out of spec. One was borderline. The 3 I got back were ok.

Do you have more than one factory KAC mag to try?

@HornDog87 The picture in your post...what's it supposed to signify? That factory ammo looks all kinds of wrong to my naked eye. Two of the three rounds don't look like they're seated properly, they appear to be canted.

Blaserman33,

I'm going out to the range the next time I fly home and I'll check to see about the right side shoulder being dented. Im just at a loss as knights was supposed to be the "pinnacle of reliability and quality" not seeing it so far. Thanks for the info and I'll check it out ?

Texasfrog the rounds in the picture are from my Sr25 malfunctionimg and what it has done to those factory federal rounds. Figured I'd show a picture of what the rifle is doing ?

Dms416 that is 168 fgmm that was recommended by Kac in the book they include with the factory grouping sheet. Unfortunately I only have the one factory mag that came with the rifle and all my other ar10 rifle's mags.

I would try it with factory mags and a different factory ammo if I were you. Also, KAC products require copious amounts of lube on the BCG. I'd also take a look at the buffer spring and buffer. Does that gun have an adjustable gas setting???

Blaserman33,

I'm going out to the range the next time I fly home and I'll check to see about the right side shoulder being dented. Im just at a loss as knights was supposed to be the "pinnacle of reliability and quality" not seeing it so far. Thanks for the info and I'll check it out ?

I know what you mean, it sucks when stuff doesn’t work right, especially when it’s good stuff that is supposed to be the best there is. Also, does it have a adjustable gas block?

Texasfrog, I'll put more lube on and give different factory ammo a go.

Blaserman33
It does not have an adjustable gas block, as it has their mod 2 gas block which is supposed to be the "best."

Reactions: Ravenworks
Texasfrog, I'll put more lube on and give different factory ammo a go.

Blaserman33
It does not have an adjustable gas block, as it has their mod 2 gas block which is supposed to be the "best."

Although the Federal GMM should be good to go, try a different ammo, and watch for when you get the jams like I said and then give us an update.

Sounds like it could be a potential gas issue (under gassed), but you have to eliminate the variables one by one. Good luck man, hope the input helps.

Have you contacted KAC? Maybe give them a shout and see what they say.

The pics of the rounds are ones you chambered and ejected out?

Reactions: Jsp556
6brshooter
the rifle has the factory buffer/ buffer spring nothing has been change.

TheDfc
I have not contacted knights yet about the current issue, I figured there might be something I was over looking before I head to the manufacturer ?

I would check the buffer spring and buffer weight. I would verify with KAC that it is correct for the gun. Also try another factory mag.

Maggitas
I'll give KAC a hollar to see if they can verify the parts. They should be factory as it is a factory gun, but something could possibly be out of spec ?

Since this is a new gun I suggest what was stated above.
Lube,lots of lube and a good cleaning.
New bolts will cause all kinds of problems when new.

@HornDog87 - have you tried loading one round into the mag to see if loaded correctly?

Then firing the one round to see if the bolt locks back on the empty mag?

Sorry to hear you’re having these issues...Have an SR25 myself so interested in the outcome

Is your KAC mag working ok? Kac mags work well with my sr25, other types of mags are suspect.

Ravenworks
Will do, I'm going to use enough lube to make that bcg look like a mosinagant fresh out of the crate ?

Nn8734
I have tried it with one round only and it locks back.

Claluja
The its quite hit or miss with KAC mag and my Lancer seem to be able to get a couple rounds out before it malfunctions again.

Ill give you like $100 for it.

P.S. - Check your buffer spring, buffer weight and the castle nut on the buffer tube. I'm guessing the previous owner fucked with it.

Reactions: 87stang and Jsp556
German you multiple that $100 by thirty and you got a deal lol honestly it's frustrating enough to have a rifle you built yourself out perform a Kac!

Eh, M LOK is kind of gay. But if you can't fix it (I bet you can and its related to the buffer/buffer tube) I may be in the mood to add another mouth to feed in my KAC assortment.

I really wish this thread was called 'I cant get my 6.5CM KAC upper to fucking work'.

Reactions: Strykervet
Not a fan of mlok myself, I enjoy my mk11 ras ff handguard more. But I'll keep that in mind german, thanks for the buffer/buffer spring recommendation ?

Reactions: GhostFace
So what I'd do after looking at one of my SR25s and trying to figure out how your rounds end up looking like that:

- Check the buffer tube if itsright and not out of spec/moving. Same with the castle nut.

- Buffer weight verification with KAC

- Is this happening on the first round, never the first round, etc? If its never the first but always after, check/switch the extractor.

- Verify the barrel/chamber/ramps don't look weird or misaligned with each other. Post a pic of this area if you can.

- Grab the front of the barrel; any play/movement when trying to rotate it?

- Ive heard of this but never firsthand have seen it; you may need a KAC mag if this is in fact the mag not lining up everything properly when extracting/feeding.

The 'marks' on your rounds are from the round being slammed into either another round during extraction or from a bad angle being caused at the time it is being fed into the chamber/ramps.

Was it unfired when you bought it other than the test group?

Talk to Knights and see what they have to say, From what you are saying, it seems like there is too much bolt speed. Are you running a can on this? when you fire a round, how does its recoil feel in relation to your other 308 AR?

Definitely a frustrating situation, but KAC will take care of you.

I would contact the seller, let him know what’s going on without motherfucking him for selling you a turd (at least until you get it resolved) and ask if he dicked with anything or if it’s a 100% factory untouched rifle. I’d let him know you’re going to contact KAC and just need to know what you have and also try to find out if he had any of the same issues.

Then I would contact KAC and get it resolved. If it’s a bone stock rifle or nothing has been changed that would change the operating system then there’s no reason they shouldn’t stand behind it and get it fixed for you.

Sure you can send it down the road, but if you’re honest about the issue then you’re going to take a huge loss on it vs just getting it fixed, and if you sell it without letting the issues be known then it makes you a giant douche.

Personally I’d get it fixed and then decide if you want to keep it or not. I’ve owned a bunch of KAC stuff and it is great and worth every penny and I have confidence it’ll come back 100%, but I also can understand and totally know the feeling of getting a dud and not being able to trust it fully after the fact.

GUNNER10

Never ran the rifle suppressed, I don't have a Kac can to run it suppressed which I was hoping to do. How ever I have someone already interested in purchasing the rifle and all issues have been discussed ?

If you can get a hold of it, American Eagle 168 OTM loads are damn good, the primers are staked etc... They were purpose built for the M1A/M14 platform.
KAC is really overrated.

If you can get a hold of it, American Eagle 168 OTM loads are damn good, the primers are staked etc... They were purpose built for the M1A/M14 platform.
KAC is really overrated.

What will using that ammo indicate troubleshooting wise?

Eh, M LOK is kind of gay. But if you can't fix it (I bet you can and its related to the buffer/buffer tube) I may be in the mood to add another mouth to feed in my KAC assortment.

I really wish this thread was called 'I cant get my 6.5CM KAC upper to fucking work'.
Hopefully next week at Shot Show KAC will announce there will be 6.5CM goodness all around.

You’ve gotten good advice so far. Contacting the seller and then KAC is the route I’d go. Hopefully you didn’t get some pieced together hunk of shit.

Reactions: LeadZeke
It has been my experience that the PMAG L/R S/R Gen M3 mag works best in a SR-25. In addition, try a 175gr round(preferably Black Hills).

I really see no downside to contact the seller and KAC. Even if you don’t like it after it gets resolved, you can sell it for more than if you had left it as-is. So why dump it now at a bigger loss than if I’m you fixed it yourself?

Salty57

Just picked up three of those magpul sr25 mags with the red follower online and I'll give some blackhills a try ?

I don’t understand why you are buying all these different mags to try when that expensive ass rifle should work with all SR25 style magazines...

Call Kac, if they can’t figure it out over the phone, send it to them. They should be able to figure it out and give you back a rifle worthy to have their name on it.

If your spending KAC money then the first thing should have been send it back to KAC. There is a reason you pay so much for them. They have an obligation to fix it for as much as they stick it in you.

I skipped straight to the bottom, didn't bother reading.

My SR25 is fucking peerless and lots of us SWEAR by KAC. I'd call 'em and send it back for sure. They'd be the only ones I'd trust to unfuck it anyway. You shouldn't be having any of those problems.

That rifle should function flawlessly with most all ammo and for sure with the factory mags, they're the best for that rifle by far.

Reactions: FALex
Not sure if you found a solution to this yet. But I had pretty much the exact same problem with a Mega Ma10 build.
Mainly the bend cartridge, FTF, double feed. The problem was the BCG. It was a cheapo from Brownells. When I swapped it
with my LMT (MWSE) BCG it worked fine. I had tried everything else; different Buffers, springs, adjustable gas block, mags, lubrication

I could never fully explain why a different Bolt worked better, But I sent back the brownells BCG for full refund (Thanks Brownells )
purchased a KAK industries BCG and now all is well. I went with KAK instead of LMT cause LMT is 2X the price of a KAK BCG .

When swapping Bolts (or BCG) it 's good idea to check the headspace. The standard way is to strip the bolt so it wont damage the headspace gauge ; use the go, no-go (and field if necessary).

If you try to use just a different bolt be careful because with the AR308 it seems there is no set standard and the firing pin/bolts combo may give you unintentional uncontrolled full auto -which happened to me during the troubleshooting phase,

Now if this rifle is factory new soup to nuts then ignore my comments because sending it back to Knights is obviously the best way to go

Just an idea but KAC uses a lot of proprietary shit and I'm wondering if it didn't see some Fudd work or possibly got sent out with the wrong parts. Accidents happen.

Different platform but had the same set of issues with a new custom built M14 once. Your bent rounds brought back a pile of bad memories getting fucked by the smith. Anyway- it ended up being the breech face to bolt geometry being wrong with the breech face being the culprit. Since the AR is easier swapping the bolt or even barrel would rule that out but Id certainly make it KACs problem first.

Ill give you like $100 for it.

P.S. - Check your buffer spring, buffer weight and the castle nut on the buffer tube. I'm guessing the previous owner fucked with it.

This right here. Not that KAC doesn’t have a lemon slip through every now and then, but that is the exception and not the norm. If you bought it second hand then there is your likely culprit. For some reason amateur trailer park gun plumbers like to get their hands on KAC rifles and try to change things. Buffers, springs, and hand guards. KAC does have some proprietary parts that most people don’t have the tools for. Couple that with the rifle being tuned from the factory as a system and it makes it a bit more difficult for the average shooter to just swap parts out.

Contact KAC and they will get it straight.
Contact Adam Pini or Jack Leuba.