• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SRS Problem

MacQuigley

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2022
Scotland
I hope someone on here can provide some assistance with an ongoing problem with my DTA SRS (there were still Desert Tactical Arms when I bought mine).

The first problem was light strikes. It started off maybe one in 30 or even 50. The primer would show a very light indent and would usually go off if I re-cocked the bolt. Now Im lucky to get 4 out of 5 to fire. This was pre Covid and to be honest in teh two years the ranges were closed I completely forgot so when i returned to shooting i found the same issue. I figured it was primers so I tried all kind of things but the problem persisted. Im wondering if it could be an issue with the striker spring.

Then the bolt stopped cocking unless I slammed it forward which is not something I want to be doing. I contacted Desert Tech this week and they suggested a half hour in a ultrasonic cleaner for the bolt which Ive done but that made no difference. The only thing that may have caused the problem is loose powder in the action. During the various lock downs we had here i too some time to clean all my dies but I must have knocked out my 6.5x47 seating die just enough that the first round that wouldnt go off, when i ejected it the bullet caught, was pulled from the case and some powder was spilled. I cant help but wonder if a grain of powder got under the transfer bar. I did try to knock out the roll pins holding it in place but the seem to be in too tight, I cant knock them in from the outside and I cant access them from the inside to knock out.

I really would welcome any suggestions. I do really like this rifle but right now its a very expensive door stop.

Id take brake cleaner to the chassis and disassemble your bolt and see if something happened to the firing pin.

Ive done most of that already and I replaced the firing pin quite early after the misfires first started, didnt make any difference. To be fair the bolt was fairly clean before I put it in the ultrasonic tank, so I wasnt holding out much hope for that. I guess it could be the striker spring but I still think its something to do with the chassis particularly the cocking issue.

Which model SRS is it ?
Gen 1 /gen 2/ A1 etc . Get some pics of your bolt and stripped down

Make sure you don't have an excessive amount of grease or oil on cocking cam, striker, firing pin, spring. With bolt out, press trigger to rear and press down on the sear. If you're unable to depress the sear into the sear cavity, disassemble and clear channel. If you CAN depress the sear into the sear cavity, check your headspace. Excessive shoulder setback can also cause light primer strikes.
1650731014170.png

1650731335137.png

Reactions: Fishkat
Make sure you don't have an excessive amount of grease or oil on cocking cam, striker, firing pin, spring. With bolt out, press trigger to rear and press down on the sear. If you're unable to depress the sear into the sear cavity, disassemble and clear channel. If you CAN depress the sear into the sear cavity, check your headspace. Excessive shoulder setback can also cause light primer strikes.
View attachment 7855326
View attachment 7855331
Thank you for that, its exactly what I was looking for. May not get a chance to do all that tomorrow but I will this week and I'll let you know what what I find