• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SS 10X42 vs Falcon 4-14 FFP vs Falcon 10X42?

jlficken

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2006
Aurora, NE
I am having to downgrade optics on my RDP .308 to buy an engagement ring so since my IOR SH Edition scope sold I am scouting out a replacement. I have it narrowed down to the three mentioned being that I want a 30mm tube and less than $400. The rifle is mainly used for paper punching but did go on my annual deer trip this year where all shots are over 100yds. My main concern is durability right now but I like the idea of still having a variable power FFP scope with Mil/Mil adjustments. I haven't ever looked through the Falcon but my brother has a SS so I guess I am just looking to get the best I can with the money I can spend. I can get a SS for $279 but it looks like the Falcon group buy is done so it would be $390. I also see that Falcon has a 10X42 with Mil/Mil adjustments which is another idea but I don't know how durable it is nor have I really seen any reviews of it that I could find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: SS 10X42 vs Falcon 4-14 FFP vs Falcon 10X42?

Get the Falcon 4-14FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the Falcon 4-14FFP. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlficken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My main concern is durability right now </div></div>

Any of the three should be as durable, if not more so, than what they are replacing.

Don't buy into that one month's salary BS the ring shop is telling you. If she gets bitchy about a $500 ring, haul ass and get the better scope
wink.gif

Thanks for the help guys. I'm thinking the 4-14 is the ticket as well.

I actually already got the ring and am picking it up today. I only spent about half a months salary and she is frugal enough she won't even like that if she finds out I spent that much. She would be happy with just a band but I wanted to get her a nice ring without spending a fortune. She also didn't want to pick it out and wanted it to be a surprise. Basically I bought a nice stone(.46 carat, VVS2) in a setting I like that I think she will too. If she doesn't it can always be remounted. Now to pick a day to pop the question.

in Oklahoma, if you give a woman a ring on her birthday, valentines, or christmas and they take the ring and later decide not to marry you, they get to keep the ring...being as it was a gift....pick a random day

just a thought

Has anyone ever bought a scope of off the SWFA sample list? I see that they have a few SS 10X42 scopes there for $279 but I don't know if that includes the box, Butler Creeks, etc..

Good point there JCH. I hadn't thought about that.

I'll go ahead and be the odd person out: I owned both the SS10x42M and the Falcon Menace 4-14 ffp. I sold the Falcon, but still have the SS.

I found the crosshairs on the Falcon to be too thick, focus was difficult, etc.

YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlficken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone ever bought a scope of off the SWFA sample list? </div></div>

I've not, but what's with those MSRP prices on the SS scopes?! suggested retail of <span style="font-weight: bold">$900</span> for their $400 scope?!

Yeah I noticed that too and thought it was strange with the whole MSRP thing.

Get the SS 10x rear focus. Fewer problems, more durable, cheaper, and you can sell it here quickly when you want to upgrade. The sample list only discounts the price by $20: not enough for a warranty scope with rings marks, in my opinion.

fwiw...i have a ss10x42 on a 24" bull ar and it really is a good piece of glass for the money. ihave beat the shit out of it and it tracks perfectly etc.

You should just either go for the deal on the package, or eat the raman and save up for the USO
wink.gif

Oh, it also looks like you got a good woman too! Frual is good to a point, but man the arguments we ha ve over money. I got the best in the breed: Hawaiian Chinese, and Russian Jewish. When I call her Mrs Chang* boy she gets pissed!
I do have to admit though, I get a lot of what I want due to her skills with my money. Good Luck with the lady!

*In Hawaii it kinda goes like this:
Ey Auntie, Why you so Chang wit da kine noodle on my plate? Meaning you got a very small amount because she was frugal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, Rings? Scope Rail? You have these already?
ARMS #22 lever mount rings, 20MOA slope base from Seekins, and a
SWFA Super Sniper KIT
http://www.swfa.com/pc-14121-231-masters-swfa-ss-16x42-kit.aspx
Above in 16x42, lower price for 10x42.
Package includes the 16x42 (Rear Focus) Super Sniper, Butler Creek Flip Ups (20 Eye & 30 Obj), Sun Shade to fit the Super Sniper Scope, Mil-Dot Master, Kill-Flash (Anti-Reflection Device) to fit the Super Sniper Scope, Super Sniper Baseball Cap and Super Sniper Stickers (5 Decals).

For your budget that is decent kit that will get you shooting now. OR
You can suck it up, use one gun with a nice scope from US Optics or NF or S&B. Either way, rail and rings are going to go $300 +/- first if you do not have them. A US Optics ST-10 base model is $950. That scope will work for you if you go one gun, learn that gun and scope combination, and use solid shot placement when you hunt </div></div>

This is from another thread that was originally asking about the best scope under $600. It has one heck of a kit included which is part of the reason I was interested in adding it to my list. Not going to say which I'd recommend as I don't know. I am still trying to decide between the SS and Falcon 4-14 FFP (I've already decided against the Falcon 10X42) myself.

One more thing is I have contacted all retailers listed on the Falcon Optics webpage and as far as I have been told no one will have anymore in until mid Feb sometime. At least for the Falcon 4-14 FFP w/ Mil/Mil

Well, thanks for all of the advice guys and for the positive comments about my lady. I found a SS 10X42M w/ Badger rings that I am picking up for a good deal thanks to a nice individual. It is used but not abused and will serve me well I think for the forseable future.

Now to figure out how to save some money on the honeymoon. I am attempting to get the wedding moved up a month so we can get in on winter rates at the cabins in Estes Park. It would easily save $400 but money isn't everything and I will do what is best for us in the end. It also may not work because of what she does but we'll see.

I agree. A direct quote from her the day after I proposed: "If I had went with you to pick it out it would have been smaller."

From that alone I think I am a lucky man. The fact that she likes guns is just icing on the cake.

She's also fine with moving the wedding up a month and a half to get cheaper rates as long as work will allow her. She even wants to get the cheaper cabin with only a queen bed and no hot tub because it's $60 a night cheaper despite my saying it's not necessary just to save $360. I truly couldn't be a luckier man and can't wait to call her my wife.

Back on topic though does anyone know if the warranty transfers on a SS scope if you don't have the box or paperwork?

A solid fixed power scope beats a questionable variable every time.

If you like old threads, find my poll on Falcons asking owners if they've had issues and if they would buy again.

I am currently putting budget glass on my rimfire, and am going with what I have recommended for years-the SWFA SS16X. A reliable, bulletproof platform. Matching reticles and adjustments don't do me any good if they aren't repeatable and reliable.

About a year ago. Try search>advanced>falcon>optics>username-sobrbiker883>newer than two years

Half the folks had problems, half wouldn't buy again.