• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SS 16x vs. SS10xHD

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
So I have the SS 16x. From the reviews I keep reading you can see more with the SS 10x HD than you can with even the 16x. Is it worth the 400.00 for the upgrade or am I going to be disappointed with less magnification? I shoot at TVP and 1200yards is on the first set of targets. On overcast days I can't pick up vapor trails at that range too well. How well does the HD work out past 1k yards?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Merritt

Re: SS 16x vs. SS10xHD

Keep saving your $$$ until you can get a razor hd, nightforce, something like that.

SS10HD is nice but I can't imagine a target that you'd be able to hit with it that you couldn't hit with the 16X basic model.

The SS1OHD is better then the SS16x. I have the 10HD on a 5r because I wanted to have a compact scope for different shooting applications. I agree If you are going to shoot that far I would save up and get a scope with better glass. I will say the ss10HD is much better than my ss10x. Better glass and matching reticle/turrets are the most important features. Also the NF will have better glass than the ss10HD. I would say the 10HD is as good as my Mrk4s but not as good as my IOR.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAAM12</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also the NF will have better glass than the ss10HD.
John </div></div>

Thats debatable. The Nightforce scopes I have looked through sure don't have better glass then my 10x HD model. My HD model was very very close to my IOR 3-18x SH edition.

That is how swfa customer service explained it to me. The 10XHD is a great scope.

John

I happen to be the opposite in my opinion. I held and worked with both the 10HDSS, as well as the 16XSS. To be as honest as I can be, even after doing what I could do with the focus and parallax, I was not as impressed with the 10HDSS as I had hoped that I would be.

For my money, I opted for the 16XSS once again, and I will be spending the extra funds on reloading. This will be my 3rd 16XSS, and I don't regret my purchase in the least. Of course, this opinion is based on my getting older all the time eyes too... just my $0.02 worth.

DK

Hello z71rat,

Did you get chance to compare the ss10HD to the ss10x? Just wondering what your thoughts were on the ss10x vs ss10HD. I have consider the ss16x. I would like to ck one out. I hope to see someone with one at the range this summer.

Thanks John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAAM12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello z71rat,

Did you get chance to compare the ss10HD to the ss10x? Just wondering what your thoughts were on the ss10x vs ss10HD. I have consider the ss16x. I would like to ck one out. I hope to see someone with one at the range this summer.

Thanks John </div></div>

I had the SS10x side focus and the new 10x HD. THe HD blew it away optically IMO. The clarity and color representation was much better. I could see later longer, and make out a lot more detail with the HD. The adjustments are nicer feeling and the knobs are a designed better. Plus having the adjustments match the reticle is a nice feature. Makes corrections much easier. Personally I think it is worth twice the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider the Weaver 5-15 tactical FFP. It's in the same price range and could be had for less using the coupon codes. It's gotten favorable reviews on the hide and should work great at TVP with your 7/08.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=911627

Another option for less is the standard Viper. I have used a 6x24 at TVP and it worked great. </div></div>

what are the coupon codes?

and is the quality of this glass is good as HD or nor non HD one?

Even the 299 dollar 10x is better than the 16x, the 16 and 20 are dark, the 10xHD is a great scope at any price, plus you get Mildot reticle with MRAD knobs.

I really did like the MIL/MIL of the 10HD. It is a super nice scope, don't get me wrong. It is definately a more robust scope than the basic SS without a doubt. The turrents were very positive, and had a great feel to them. Since it was about 2 in the afternoon, and standing inside SWFA at the counter, I was not able to try the scope in lower lighting conditions. I am sure that the difference in the HD would have shown through. I am blaming the difference of both scopes on my eyes. 10X just doesn't work for me anymore.

If I was shooting only steel at varying distances, the 10X would work just fine, I have no doubt. I wouldn't need the high magnification the 16X offers. However, this is really not the shooting that I mostly do. Even though the reticle is thicker than I would like it to be, I really need the magnification.

So to me... and only to me... and this is just my opinion, I can't justify the price difference going toward a scope that is not going to be able to help me score hits on tiny dots.

The 16X that I have coming to me now, is only going to be a hold over scope until I can put together the funds for the PST 6-24X. The PST has all the features that I miss so much since I had to sell my Nightforce.

DK

The old 16X SS is my hands-down favorite backup scope (10X will do just as well if you prefer the lower mag). I never had a "dark" one, and I've had three or four.

3.5:1 isn't too hard to translate (folks made do with mildots and 1/4min adjustments for many a year just fine), plus JBM spits out dope charts in mil and moa, simple.

I wouldn't spend the difference, I'd save the difference to apply to the scope you want to end up with down the line. Or get a 16X/old 10X and a lot of ammo.

Unless you want a 10X mil/mil and that is the scope you will have for a while and you are under $1k with your budget, then the 10X HD is a great option.

That said, keep your ear to the ground for a higher powered variable FFP HD SS.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I have the SS 16x. From the reviews I keep reading you can see more with the SS 10x HD than you can with even the 16x. Is it worth the 400.00 for the upgrade or am I going to be disappointed with less magnification? I shoot at TVP and 1200yards is on the first set of targets. On overcast days I can't pick up vapor trails at that range too well. How well does the HD work out past 1k yards?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Merritt </div></div>

Have I got a deal for you.....

Check out the deals we have in The Sniper's Hide Group Buy section.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2520975&gonew=1#UNREAD

Buy KIT7 ( save $240. bucks), mount it, play with it, compare it to your ss16x and anything else you can and if you don't think it holds its own against scopes 2x the money, you can return it and we will refund you 100%.