• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SS 1911 what finish to put on

81STFACP

DRB 1234, P100, HM - XC, LR
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2006
Austin, TX
I just traded for a Colt SS 1911, the brushed finish is so fragile that it scratches so easily. Question for you pistoleros out there what finish should I put on this piece? It will be my outdoors handgun either in the pack or chest/shoulder holster. I am looking for durability, weather resistance and longevity of the finish, meaning no flaking.

I read a little about Black Chrome and Robar finishes, but have not seen any in the flesh nor talked to someone who has real world experience with either.

Any comment or suggestion is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: SS 1911 what finish to put on

<span style="font-weight: bold">Melonite</span>, "Teniffer"
<span style="font-style: italic">* Glock Slide </span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">- 1911forum thread: "Melonited 1911"</span>
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1417609
-&-
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1857652

<span style="text-decoration: underline">- Highroad thread on Melonite:</span>
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=161091

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Melonite:</span>
http://burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html
http://www.coalcreekarmory.com/custom_finishing.html
http://www.drakesgunworks.com/index.html

I have a springfield 1911 SS that all flat surfaces were polished up, anything not flat i treated with brownells alumahide. For the price it looks fantastic, its pretty damn durable, but on the dust cover where it meets the slide is starting to grind away showing the steel underneath, I suspect that any type of coating will result in similar problems in that particular area, I could post pictures if I am at all unclear.

Thanks for the responses, SPDGG and SG.

Now, more stuff to read about.

IonBond is what all the cool kids seem to be running. Seems like very impressive stuff from what I know about it.

It's a tool shoot the thing , run it like You stole it and drive on .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a tool shoot the thing , run it like You stole it and drive on .</div></div> +1 Agree, Reason for "Melonite"
wink.gif

SPDGG,

I called Coal Creek this morning and talked to them about Meloniting my SS 1911, got all the information I needed, I am sending the piece to them.

Thanks for the links.

if you want color or camo then duracoat.

Otherwise, +1 just run it

I like bead blast on stainless just for the simple fact that it is always ready to be duracoated, ion bonded, etc and if you scratch it blast it again and it is good as new again. If you use the right media the finish has a nice satin lustre to it as well.

I have melonite and black-t on various 1911's and both seem to work very well for my intended purpose (corrosion/rust resistance).

Ion Bond is the Shit. I've got a couple guns done already by them. I also had all my AR bolts done. The carbon wipes right off the bolt tail. Hard, and flat black. I've got a 1911 that I just finished building that will be going soon.

My first Noob post on this forum so forgive me.
But, I am an IPSC shooter who routinely puts 50K+ rounds/year through my 2011s.
Hard chrome...hard chrome...hard chrome.
I have no experience with Ion bond of some of the newer finishes. Nor do I have experience with the black chrome if you're trying to keep a lower profile look.
But, for durability, chrome is tough to beat. For evidence, look at the typical finish that virtually all the IPSC/USPSA/IDPA-peaked smiths use.
My current primary STI has well over 100K rounds through it, was hardchromed by Cogan Custom, and still looks great. I have the 'pimp job' done on mine (ultra brite) but satin finishes hold up well too.

K2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k2peaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first Noob post on this forum so forgive me.
But, I am an IPSC shooter who routinely puts 50K+ rounds/year through my 2011s.
Hard chrome...hard chrome...hard chrome.
I have no experience with Ion bond of some of the newer finishes. Nor do I have experience with the black chrome if you're trying to keep a lower profile look.
But, for durability, chrome is tough to beat. For evidence, look at the typical finish that virtually all the IPSC/USPSA/IDPA-peaked smiths use.
My current primary STI has well over 100K rounds through it, was hardchromed by Cogan Custom, and still looks great. I have the 'pimp job' done on mine (ultra brite) but satin finishes hold up well too.

K2 </div></div>

I'm a fellow USPSA shooter, trust me, there are a lot of the top level shooters who don't use hard chrome. Many are actually still using blued, stainless or just plain guns in the white. When you look at the guns of the super squad, they are for the most part, fugly. Taran Butler started championing Ion Bond back in 2006 and many are making the transition over. The black surface is easier to prep for, a simple bead blast rather than polishing common to a lot of HC jobs. The Ion Bond finish also doesn't reflect light at all. No glare in bright sunlight that can cause distraciton. If you run across Taran ask to see his magazines. He had them all Ion Bonded 3 years ago. Even with all the mag changes, they look brand new.

I've got guns HC by APW (Cogan's original company), and Virgil Tripp at Cobra Chrome. The rest of my guns will be Ion Bonded in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k2peaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am an IPSC shooter who routinely puts 50K+ rounds/year through my 2011s. </div></div>

Forget the type of metal finish, -I'd just like to have access to 10% of that much ammo in a given year!
laugh.gif

Courtesy of a three Dillon presses...and much expense in components.

Again, I have no personal experience with Ion bond so I defer to Chuck (and Taran). I'd still be willing to bet that 80% of the guns that Dawson, Millenium, Brazos, etc. sell are HC'd.
I've also so noticed with the USPSA 'pros', they have a bit different cost/benefit equation in terms of their equipment. Given the sponsorships, availability to guns, etc. they can afford to shoot a season with a gun still in the white or blued or whatever. Chuck's right, their focus is on function and could care less of the aesthetics. Next year they'll probably be shooting a different gun. In my case, I want my primary and back up to last multiple years and that's why I went with HC. Also have experience with Virgil's HC job on a Limited gun -- beautiful satin finish. He balked at doing a 'superPimp' job and that's why I ended up with Cogan (they loved the challenge).

Actually I think at least half of Derek at Millenium's guns are coming in Ion Bond now. He was one of the first smiths to work extensively with them. Hard chrome looks great and I have a bunch of guns done in HC. Just depends on what you want as far as a finish. Ion Bond and HC are pretty equal in terms of how well they hold up. It's all a matter of preference, whether you like a black gun or a silver one.

It also depends on how tight your gun is. HC adds some thickness to the finish. If you have an older gun or one that is looser HC is the better finish. If you have one that is super tight, Ion Bond only adds about .3 microns to the finish. The cool thing is you can have a gun fit rock solid, finish it and not have another break in period.

Either finish is good though. I would definitely get some finish on your gun though, and keep it well lubed in the meantime. I galled a stainless frame and slide while I was building it in nothing flat becuase it wasn't lubed enough.